Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ok

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Thats because on the whole we have been utter GASH midweek at home.

Agree with this, midweek games were always better for atmosphere than Saturdays. Strangely, at the moment, we don't have many mid-week games this season.

Also, all these people that go on about a poor atmosphere, do they contribute to it by sitting in their seat moaning rather than joining in with the singing? I know of people around me that mime the words to songs :ffsparr:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Totally sympathise with you. etc etc
...the 'Tennisiification' of football and the attempts to neuter its atmosphere of tribal confrontation is certainly a major one. Bang on with the 'wet lettuce' comment.

I also said I love going to the Amex (when I go), so I agree with your last paragraph as well.

So basically I'm not sure what the **** you're on about.

So either you LOVE going to the Amex or "the 'Tennisiification' of football and the attempts to neuter its atmosphere of tribal confrontation is certainly " a major problem for you. Which is it then? Feel free to nail your colours to the mast for a change. That's what the **** I'm on about.

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
an interesting thread.i tend to look back at my early albion supporting days through rose coloured specs.truth is i enjoyed it then and enjoy it now.football has changed,not always for the better,but generally in the right way.my main issue is the cost,whilst it is not prohibitive to me,it could end up driving away the very people that have sustained football throughout its history.that is a foolish and sad thing imo football will need these people when the bubble bursts.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So either you LOVE going to the Amex or "the 'Tennisiification' of football and the attempts to neuter its atmosphere of tribal confrontation is certainly " a major problem for you. Which is it then? Feel free to nail your colours to the mast for a change. That's what the **** I'm on about.
*Sigh* Ok, I'll try and explain. I love going to the Amex for all that it represents for us after all the years of struggle. I love the fact we're a proper football club again with decent crowds and genuine expectation of the Premier League and a genuine chance to eclipse the achievements of the 'Glory Years', (something else us old farts bang on about constantly as I'm sure you've noticed). Set against that I don't like the gentrification of football, I don't like being told to sit down, I don't like the fact that a person can be ejected, banned and possibly fined for making a comment that some arbiter has deemed 'inappropriate'. I also don't like the endless navel-gazing on here about what we can and can't chant at opposing fans and what they can and can't chant at us (PPF's 'wet lettuce' comment).

And I never said I had a 'major problem'. I said the lack of the old tribal atmosphere was a major reason why I'm not as enamoured of club football (as a way of spending time) as I used to be. It's not the only one though and I can't be arsed to list the others.

I don't like the fact that a person can be ejected, banned and possibly fined for making a comment that some arbiter has deemed 'inappropriate'.

Really? I do. I like the fact that some "arbiter" can deem racial abuse 'inappropriate' and eject people on the basis of it. This didn't happen in the 80's when I first started going to football and there is no doubt that the football experience is now better for it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Really? I do. I like the fact that some "arbiter" can deem racial abuse 'inappropriate' and eject people on the basis of it. This didn't happen in the 80's when I first started going to football and there is no doubt that the football experience is now better for it.

If it was just racism I wouldn't mind, but people have been ejected for saying ****. Like persistent standing it comes down to an individual's value judgement and assessment of the situation.

If it was just racism I wouldn't mind, but people have been ejected for saying ****. Like persistent standing it comes down to an individual's value judgement and assessment of the situation.

I haven't been party to said evictions but I have both said and heard **** hundreds of times and never seen an eviction. I can only assume that there were other factors at play such as general and random abusiveness, severe drunkenness, violence etc etc

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I haven't been party to said evictions but I have both said and heard **** hundreds of times and never seen an eviction. I can only assume that there were other factors at play such as general and random abusiveness, severe drunkenness, violence etc etc

I saw a guy dragged out from the South stand for having one of his feet up on the empty seat in-front of him, all the guy did is respond to the steward's question of 'Your not at home now mate' by saying 'I know, I'm at a football match' The guy was about 45 and with younger blonde girlfriend, the steward came back to the girlfriend after the bloke had been kicked out and asked her if she wanted a lift home. It pissed me off at how slimy that steward was, and the guy definitely didn't warrant being kicked out.

Having your feet up on a chair isn't the best of manners, but the steward instigated the situation that followed and was clearly trying to tap up the guys girlfriend. This is just one example, I don't really appreciate being eyed out for most of the game by the stewards down the front either for no reason whatsoever.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I has a conversation with a Leeds season ticket holder back around 1990 where they were just moving long standing season ticket holders to make way for corporate lounges. We agreed that the game was going to the dogs, money was taking over, and the clubs will be sorry when fortunes changed and they needed the old supporters.

Since then I have given up predicting the death of football.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I saw a guy dragged out from the South stand for having one of his feet up on the empty seat in-front of him, all the guy did is respond to the steward's question of 'Your not at home now mate' by saying 'I know, I'm at a football match' The guy was about 45 and with younger blonde girlfriend, the steward came back to the girlfriend after the bloke had been kicked out and asked her if she wanted a lift home.

:lol: :bowdown:

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

Not sure what's funny about that? If you think I'm lying or exaggerating then I'm pretty sure there are others that witnessed it. We were sitting a few rows down from the guy in some empty rows behind the goal during the Peterbough game and heard everything that was said. He waved his arms in the air to ask what the problem was and then the steward got a couple of other stewards and dragged/kicked him out.

The female steward and the original steward who blew it all up came back to the girl and kept trying to get the guys name/address off her but she wouldn't tell them, then the male steward asked her if she needed a lift home. Was well over the top and uncalled for.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
Absolute nonsense. As has been pointed out, if you're not that interested in the club anymore, why have you posted 13,000 times. And tennisification and neutering the atmosphere of tribal confrontation? Do me a favour. Supporters are still segregated in case you hadn't noticed.

What people who lazily harp on about the good old days tend to forget is:
* the atmosphere was shit half the time at the Goldstone
* there is nothing good about buying "food" from a massively overpriced shitty little woefully understaffed outlet at the back of the stand, served about 10 feet from the open sewer that passed as the gents
* crowds were about HALF what they are now, even when we were moderately successful in the mid 80s (upper end of division 2)
* yes, it was more tense and more exciting in the 70s and 80s. However people used to DIE going to football matches. In fact, hundreds died in the UK in those two decades, owing to hooliganism and poor infrastructure. If football has been sanitised (and it has, perhaps a bit too much) it's because it needed to be.

I just wish those who don't like going to the Amex these days would just f**k off instead of whining like a little bitch about it on here. In case you hadn't noticed, we have 23,000 season ticket holders and a waiting list, which says it all.
you sound in denial , AS I SAID BEFORE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GOLDSTONE /AMEX THING , this is about the general football experience , got nothing against loyal supporters and what they like and dislike but from what i can make out not everyone's got rose tinted glasses on
regards
DR

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
I'm giving it one more season Das, mainly down to how far I travel for the matches but I find myself losing interest in football the way it's going, would rather go and see some local non league stuff and can see me doing this in a few years time.

when a beer is £4, atmosphere goes and if i stand up and give a cheeky gesture towards some northern fatty i get tapped on the shoulder by a steward i'm off - not worth the money

Doubtless to say u are a bit upset that the constable outside wants to stop u having a friendly debate with any opposition supporters after the game as well, what is the world coming to??

Jan 30, 2008
thought i would bounce this one on the back drop of the millwall ticket prices, who's decided they're not renewing next season EITHER D/D OR PAID IN FULL ???
regards
DR

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
think I know what you mean here, must admit I did like just turning up and paying on the gate at the Goldstone and stand where I felt like.

The one thing my dad really hates about modern football is the fact you can't do that. Although you can buy a ticket on the day and collect it, it just isn't the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here