Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ok

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
no offence taken but i thought that comment alone summed football up today :wink:
regards
DR

Thanks for the "no offence taken" :thumbsup: I have felt very strongly for many years about the cost of going to games and players wages etc, but as for the standing up / swearing and comparison of todays culture / stadiums as to the 60s / 70s I just don't think it can be done, back in those days it was not a family attended sport, nowadays you do see familys, kids and many females in attendance.

And in all fairness, to my knowledge most clubs have an area that relax the rules a bit.... aka North Stand, don't they?

But money will be the ruination of the game in time to come. The prices of absolutely everything at a game is just plain stupid!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Is this thread a bunch of old men saying "oh it wasn't like this in my day" same goes for most things. I still love watching Albion play... It's not just the game. It's meeting up with friends before hand, having a few beers, football then more beers[/QUOTE]

I agree, as long as you can afford it!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
judging by the amount of wet lettuce post's on here about various people's behaviour in the stadium how many are going to give it another season before saying enough is enough i'm out footballs finished as a "spectator" sport, honest question not a piss take
regards
DR

Totally sympathise with you. I'm a Brighton supporter, I'm pleased when we win and disappointed when we lose, and I love going to the Amex, but football is no longer a massively-important part of my life (it's not even my favourite sport any more). There are a number of factors for this, but the 'Tennisiification' of football and the attempts to neuter its atmosphere of tribal confrontation is certainly a major one. Bang on with the 'wet lettuce' comment.

Nice positive thread for the new season!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't really understand all this 'the prices are ridiculous, nobody can afford it' thing. What's a beer at the Amex, £3.70? That's no more expensive than in a pub, is it? £3.50 for a decent pie, that's OK isn't it? A bit more than you'd pay in a bakers, but of course it is, you're a captive audience, its the same in any comparable market. And you don't have to have one. £37 a month to watch top level Championship football in the best stadium in the division? Less than my phone costs each month, and half the price of my Sky bill.

I think the Amex offers decent value for money. If I was an Arsenal fan where the cheapest ticket was £60 and it costs £1500 a year for a season ticket, then I'd be complaining.

I kind of understand some of the other gripes about the atmosphere, but its still better than most other home grounds in the country, and its a million times better than Gillingham and Withdean ever was. And people who seem to remember the Goldstone as some white hot cauldron of intimidation are just getting old. It wasn't, if anything the atmosphere day to day at the Amex is better. Yes there are some quiet games, and for some reason evening games in particular are very subdued which is a shame as they were always good at the Goldstone, but on the whole the Amex experience is superb.

And all the time I continuously read "I'm cancelling my season ticket, it's not the same any more blah blah blah" we continue to sell more season tickets than ever before. Times change, either move with them or get stuck in the past. I can't wait for the new season, it could well be the best yet.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't really understand all this 'the prices are ridiculous, nobody can afford it' thing. What's a beer at the Amex, £3.70? That's no more expensive than in a pub, is it? £3.50 for a decent pie, that's OK isn't it? A bit more than you'd pay in a bakers, but of course it is, you're a captive audience, its the same in any comparable market. And you don't have to have one. £37 a month to watch top level Championship football in the best stadium in the division? Less than my phone costs each month, and half the price of my Sky bill.

I think the Amex offers decent value for money. If I was an Arsenal fan where the cheapest ticket was £60 and it costs £1500 a year for a season ticket, then I'd be complaining.

I kind of understand some of the other gripes about the atmosphere, but its still better than most other home grounds in the country, and its a million times better than Gillingham and Withdean ever was. And people who seem to remember the Goldstone as some white hot cauldron of intimidation are just getting old. It wasn't, if anything the atmosphere day to day at the Amex is better. Yes there are some quiet games, and for some reason evening games in particular are very subdued which is a shame as they were always good at the Goldstone, but on the whole the Amex experience is superb.

And all the time I continuously read "I'm cancelling my season ticket, it's not the same any more blah blah blah" we continue to sell more season tickets than ever before. Times change, either move with them or get stuck in the past. I can't wait for the new season, it could well be the best yet.

This is the post that I couldn't be bothered to type.

The truth is, for all Das' comments about 'constant moaning from the wet lettuces' I see HIM whining like a bitch on here about how its not like the old days anymore, than I ever notice the moans he is referring to.

Sorry Das. If you don't like the modern football experience, just stop going. Nobody really cares if you are thinking about not going.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The truth is, for all Das' comments about 'constant moaning from the wet lettuces' I see HIM whining like a bitch on here about how its not like the old days anymore, than I ever notice the moans he is referring to.

Sorry Das. If you don't like the modern football experience, just stop going. Nobody really cares if you are thinking about not going.

This is what I don't understand. If I'd had enough of going to the Albion I'd just stop going. If I'd had enough of modern football then I'd go and watch non league football. I wouldn't feel the need to constantly bang on about it on here, especially whilst still going to thr games anyway. And as I said earlier, its funny how so many people claim to have cancelled their season tickets, yet we've sold record numbers. Basically, people just want something to complain about.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This is what I don't understand. If I'd had enough of going to the Albion I'd just stop going. If I'd had enough of modern football then I'd go and watch non league football. I wouldn't feel the need to constantly bang on about it on here, especially whilst still going to thr games anyway. And as I said earlier, its funny how so many people claim to have cancelled their season tickets, yet we've sold record numbers. Basically, people just want something to complain about.
I hear what you're saying (and in your previous post as well) and you're absolutely right, in some ways this is just old men chuntering on (again) about The Good Old Days and how Football Has Gone To The Dogs. However one of the hot topics on NSC yesterday was the quality, price and service of the food in the corporate lounges. You don't have to be a complete 1970s hooligan throwback to feel slightly alienated from and by the modern football 'experience'.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I hear what you're saying (and in your previous post as well) and you're absolutely right

Well that's that sorted then, I assume I don't need to continue reading?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Was a season ticket holder last year (and previous years), but just going to mainly do away game this season. Probably going to be shot down for this, but have to be honest.. The Amex atmosphere just doesn't really do it for me!
There were a few exceptions (Most memorable the Leeds game) But If I wanted to sit in pretty much silence and watch the game I would rather watch it on Sky (and get a better view)

The whole 'customer' feel is far too obvious and often came away just feeling mugged off.

Did you go to withdean? Genuine question if you think Amex atmos is crap.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Why would an Albion fan not want to go to every home game??? Football has changed, get over it, it's never going to be like it was!
I still get a buzz everytime I walk in the Amex and still enjoy every second! I like to go, enjoy a few beers and support my team! Don't see what the big problem is in that?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
judging by the amount of wet lettuce post's on here about various people's behaviour in the stadium how many are going to give it another season before saying enough is enough i'm out footballs finished as a "spectator" sport, honest question not a piss take
regards
DR

This coming from NSC's resident fairy? Hah. Regards, N.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Did you go to withdean? Genuine question if you think Amex atmos is crap.

Agreed. I think people foget how poor the atmos was at Withdean but also how expensive seats were given the standard of stadium.

People need to understand that football is a far more sanitized experience than it was in the 80's and 90's and for the most part that's a good thing... Still don't have to like it mind you...

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012
I love going to the Amex. The Withdean had no atmosphere at all. Gillingham was a pain to get to and from. The Goldstone was good in the seventies and eighties but was soulless afterwards.

The most irritating thing about the Amex is the huge amount of people who bring their young saucepan lids. They seem to be everywhere. It's difficult to enjoy your football if you can't express yourself.

I think the whole east stand should be set aside for families. The other areas should be adults only (16 or above) .

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Totally sympathise with you. I'm a Brighton supporter, I'm pleased when we win and disappointed when we lose, and I love going to the Amex, but football is no longer a massively-important part of my life (it's not even my favourite sport any more). There are a number of factors for this, but the 'Tennisiification' of football and the attempts to neuter its atmosphere of tribal confrontation is certainly a major one. Bang on with the 'wet lettuce' comment.

13k posts on a forum that is not your priority in your sporting life !!

how many posts on your golf forum ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Absolute nonsense. As has been pointed out, if you're not that interested in the club anymore, why have you posted 13,000 times. And tennisification and neutering the atmosphere of tribal confrontation? Do me a favour. Supporters are still segregated in case you hadn't noticed.

What people who lazily harp on about the good old days tend to forget is:
* the atmosphere was shit half the time at the Goldstone
* there is nothing good about buying "food" from a massively overpriced shitty little woefully understaffed outlet at the back of the stand, served about 10 feet from the open sewer that passed as the gents
* crowds were about HALF what they are now, even when we were moderately successful in the mid 80s (upper end of division 2)
* yes, it was more tense and more exciting in the 70s and 80s. However people used to DIE going to football matches. In fact, hundreds died in the UK in those two decades, owing to hooliganism and poor infrastructure. If football has been sanitised (and it has, perhaps a bit too much) it's because it needed to be.

I just wish those who don't like going to the Amex these days would just f**k off instead of whining like a little bitch about it on here. In case you hadn't noticed, we have 23,000 season ticket holders and a waiting list, which says it all.

Absolute nonsense. As has been pointed out, if you're not that interested in the club anymore, why have you posted 13,000 times. And tennisification and neutering the atmosphere of tribal confrontation? Do me a favour. Supporters are still segregated in case you hadn't noticed.

* there is nothing good about buying "food" from a massively overpriced shitty little woefully understaffed outlet at the back of the stand, served about 10 feet from the open sewer that passed as the gents
* crowds were about HALF what they are now, even when we were moderately successful in the mid 80s (upper end of division 2)
* yes, it was more tense in the 70s and 80s. However people used to DIE going to football matches. In fact, hundreds died in the UK in those two decades, owing to hooliganism and poor infrastructure. If football has been sanitised (and it has, perhaps a bit too much) it's because it needed to be.

I just wish those who don't like going to the Amex these days would just f**k off instead of whining like a little bitch about it on here. In case you hadn't noticed, we have 23,000 season ticket holders and a waiting list, which says it all.

Calm down. What's happened, did you drop a torch ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Calm down. What's happened, did you drop a torch ?
You've missed a trick here. I mention our massive season ticket holder count, an ideal opportunity for you to chime in with another hilarious quip about Palace attendances, and instead you've gone for the feeblest "joke" I think I've ever read on here, utterly meaningless to 99% of people reading it. :shrug:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

* yes, it was more tense and more exciting in the 70s and 80s. However people used to DIE going to football matches. In fact, hundreds died in the UK in those two decades, owing to hooliganism and poor infrastructure. If football has been sanitised (and it has, perhaps a bit too much) it's because it needed to be.

WTF? I never said I wasn't interested in the club any more, far from it. I said football isn't an important to me as it was. And NSC isn't about football as you well know and a large part of my 13,000 posts have been nothing to do with the Albion - and a lot of the ones that have been about the Albion have been making similar points to the ones you bullet-marked!

I also said I love going to the Amex (when I go), so I agree with your last paragraph as well. So basically I'm not sure what the **** you're on about.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I love going to the Amex. The Withdean had no atmosphere at all. Gillingham was a pain to get to and from. The Goldstone was good in the seventies and eighties but was soulless afterwards.

The most irritating thing about the Amex is the huge amount of people who bring their young saucepan lids. They seem to be everywhere. It's difficult to enjoy your football if you can't express yourself.

I think the whole east stand should be set aside for families. The other areas should be adults only (16 or above) .

Oh. Dear.

Kids= Paying fans of the future. Without their support our club will die. I only hope other people were not as intolerant of you when you were a child. You were a child once weren't you?

If you can't express yourself without resorting to a foul mouthed tirade then questions need to be asked about your limited vocabulary. Perhaps invest in a dictionary. Shall we ban old people from certain stands? They are generally slower and don't make as much noise as someone like me?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes there are some quiet games, and for some reason evening games in particular are very subdued which is a shame as they were always good at the Goldstone, but on the whole the Amex experience is superb.

Thats because on the whole we have been utter GASH midweek at home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here