Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oh Alexis...

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
If we get a fair price it's an our interest to get the deal done as early as possible. They'll be no sour grapes from me, his spell with us has been excellent and I don't begrudge him a chance at winning the league.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Well when Alexis dad is running around the media basically saying this what’s the big deal ? It’s just rehashing what his dad is saying 🤷🏻‍♂️
Romano seems to have countless people at every club who know exactly what’s going on, it’s just made up bollocks and people lap it up.

Btw I agree his dad hasn’t helped, obviously, but claiming they will be talking to the the players side soon before any fee has been offered… it’s quite obviously bollocks.

IF we get europa league, would he still go to Liverpool or Chelsea, who will likely not be in Europe? Obviously bigger clubs with bigger wages and potential but it would be another season for him without European football, which he apparently desires.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Liverpool/Arsenal etc can want him all they like, and his dad may want the move, but these tweets are written as if the player can just walk out the door at the end of season & that’s it. They seem to have forgotten the trivial little thing of agreeing a fee, which for our World Cup winner will be massive. 100% these teams will do the same as ever by putting in a low bid & then have a tantrum when Tony says no. Given Liverpool need a whole midfield rebuild, & Arsenal reportedly have a serious interest in others, they may well get cold feet on the deal when they realise Mac isn’t going anywhere for less than say £75m…

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
First off let me say he has been a fantastic player and I love him and his attitude. Also it’s a source of immense pride that we have a World Cup winner in our team.

He is also an integral part of a our formation under RDZ.

BUT (you knew this was coming) I really don’t think we will feel his loss as much as those outside would think we will. In terms of goals and assists he has only managed two PL goals from open play and one assist. I know he brings a lot more to the team but those numbers can be replaced. I think if by selling him we say to the likes of Mitoma and Ferguson you aren’t going anywhere this summer that’s good business and we can go recruit someone who can play his role.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Liverpool/Arsenal etc can want him all they like, and his dad may want the move, but these tweets are written as if the player can just walk out the door at the end of season & that’s it. They seem to have forgotten the trivial little thing of agreeing a fee, which for our World Cup winner will be massive. 100% these teams will do the same as ever by putting in a low bid & then have a tantrum when Tony says no. Given Liverpool need a whole midfield rebuild, & Arsenal reportedly have a serious interest in others, they may well get cold feet on the deal when they realise Mac isn’t going anywhere for less than say £75m…
Our board will have a minimum fee in mind and that fee will undoubtedly be met by at least one side. The reason for that is that there aren't ten better central midfielders in the world (and astonishingly, we have one of them), and of those there won't be more than 2 others available in the summer.

You're kidding yourself if you think he won't be leaving.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Romano seems to have countless people at every club who know exactly what’s going on, it’s just made up bollocks and people lap it up.

Btw I agree his dad hasn’t helped, obviously, but claiming they will be talking to the the players side soon before any fee has been offered… it’s quite obviously bollocks.

IF we get europa league, would he still go to Liverpool or Chelsea, who will likely not be in Europe? Obviously bigger clubs with bigger wages and potential but it would be another season for him without European football, which he apparently desires.
His Dad has been a ‘guest’ of Liverpool this season in their boardroom at a Champions League game … so it’s not unrealistic there has been some initial discussions around what might be possible.

His dad seems confident enough already to say something will happen this summer, given the timing of his new contract in October perhaps there is a ‘gentleman’s’ agreement in place?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

He's all agent based information. That was made clear with the difference in reports between him and Ornstein around Caicedo's training (non) strike in January.

Regardless, Alexis will be off in the summer whatever happens. I think City would be beyond foolish not to pay the money seeing as they'll have a Gundogan shaped hole when he goes to Barca for free at the end of the season. I imagine they'll do a deal early and get him in.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He's all agent based information. That was made clear with the difference in reports between him and Ornstein around Caicedo's training (non) strike in January.

Regardless, Alexis will be off in the summer whatever happens. I think City would be beyond foolish not to pay the money seeing as they'll have a Gundogan shaped hole when he goes to Barca for free at the end of the season. I imagine they'll do a deal early and get him in.
But Alexis isn't the only midfielder available. Just because City will likely buy a midfielder, it doesn't automatically follow they will try to buy Alexis.

This summer will be all about the race for Bellingham, meaning other midfielders, if they do go, are move likely to go later.

Given the quality and contract length of our prized midfielders, there are very few clubs who could stump up the cash.

Yes, there is a good chance we'll lose him, and I agree that the club might view this sale as lesser than some other evils, but it's far from nailed on that it will happen, especially if we're in Europe.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But Alexis isn't the only midfielder available. Just because City will likely buy a midfielder, it doesn't automatically follow they will try to buy Alexis.

This summer will be all about the race for Bellingham, meaning other midfielders, if they do go, are move likely to go later.

Given the quality and contract length of our prized midfielders, there are very few clubs who could stump up the cash.

Yes, there is a good chance we'll lose him, and I agree that the club might view this sale as lesser than some other evils, but it's far from nailed on that it will happen, especially if we're in Europe.
Bellingham and Rice.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
First off let me say he has been a fantastic player and I love him and his attitude. Also it’s a source of immense pride that we have a World Cup winner in our team.

BUT (you knew this was coming) I really don’t think we will feel his loss as much as those outside would think we will. In terms of goals and assists he has only managed two PL goals from open play and one assist. I know he brings a lot more to the team but those numbers can be replaced. I think if by selling him we say to the likes of Mitoma and Ferguson you aren’t going anywhere this summer that’s good business and we can go recruit someone who can play his role.

I am 95% sure he will go because he meets the key criteria:

- we have prepared for his loss (we have more than one talented young player to compete for his place)

- we'll get a good price (probably more than his true 'worth' given that he has a global profile now)

- he's 'done his time' and earned a move, whilst behaving with impeccable professionalism (so far)

- he wants to go

The 5% uncertainty only relates to the last point, as Alexis himself has made positive noises but I assume his Dad is expressing his desire to move on his behalf.

I'd say Caicedo is more likely to stay. He's a (naively optimistic) 50:50 for me.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I do feel like his influence on us has waned a bit since he started playing further forward, he does offer a lot there but I just feel he’s a little wasted playing in that position , IMO his best performances for us have been alongside Caicedo in a pair.

Would be interesting to see when/if he leaves what role he takes up at his new club.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am 95% sure he will go because he meets the key criteria:

- we have prepared for his loss (we have more than one talented young player to compete for his place)

- we'll get a good price (probably more than his true 'worth' given that he has a global profile now)

- he's 'done his time' and earned a move, whilst behaving with impeccable professionalism (so far)

- he wants to go

The 5% uncertainty only relates to the last point, as Alexis himself has made positive noises but I assume his Dad is expressing his desire to move on his behalf.

I'd say Caicedo is more likely to stay. He's a (naively optimistic) 50:50 for me.
I agree with all of this, except I'd say Caicedo was 80% likely to stay. Honestly, I genuinely don't understand why people seem to think our club are going to let both of them go. Last time, we rejected Arsenal's £70m, sent Caicedo on a week's holiday and then when the window slammed shut, we immediately gave him an improved contract.

I think it'll have been made clear to him that we won't let him go until we have someone to replace him, we will let him go after he's done his time here (and given him Ale Mac, Biss, Cucu, White & Tross as examples) but we do value him and here's an enormous pay rise to prove it. What's more, this will not be new to him. He'll have been told all of that before he signed. The only new bit would have been the improved contract, and that will keep him happy while he plies his trade here.

So the 20% (chance that Caicedo leaves) is if we receive an obscene amount of money (£100m?) and our club takes a chance that we can do without him for a season when we're not quite prepared for it. Even then, I'm not sure that is a decision they'd make.

But for me, Caicedo is 95% sure to go in the summer 2024.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

BUT (you knew this was coming) I really don’t think we will feel his loss as much as those outside would think we will. In terms of goals and assists he has only managed two PL goals from open play and one assist. I know he brings a lot more to the team but those numbers can be replaced. I think if by selling him we say to the likes of Mitoma and Ferguson you aren’t going anywhere this summer that’s good business and we can go recruit someone who can play his role..

I suspect we have already recruited that person.
As mentioned by others, we have two or three young South Americans who are being slowly introduces to the PL.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
one of my dirty red scouse mates expressed extreme surprise when i told him Alimac had a 80 mill price tag .....incredulous he was , until i took him through some previous figures ......these pillocks still have the attitude of " it's only firkin brighton laa" prrfft fook off la , you want him, cough up or jog on.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't agree with the crazy transfers in modern football but an key play for a team pushing for top 6 and a world cup winner must command a fee of around 100m. I'd feel a little robbed if we only got around 60m for him.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If we get a fair price it's an our interest to get the deal done as early as possible. They'll be no sour grapes from me, his spell with us has been excellent and I don't begrudge him a chance at winning the league.
I think it’s more about how the rest of the squad will react to him going - it might take one of the stars to leave before all the lights go out. It’s a shame because if we had just one more season with them all here we might just get top four and the prospect of CL football might just keep them all together for longer.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
As others have said, I do think that Mac Allister will be off in the summer. That said, the nonsense coming from his dad is just that: nonsense. They can talk to as many clubs as they like and can posture in the media until the cows come but, unless someone is willing to spend a significant fee on Mac Allister he isn't going anywhere fast.

He's 24, just signed a massive new deal and we are under no pressure to sell. As usual, the strongest hand sits with Bloom and Barber

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Bellingham and Rice.
I agree with all of this, except I'd say Caicedo was 80% likely to stay. Honestly, I genuinely don't understand why people seem to think our club are going to let both of them go. Last time, we rejected Arsenal's £70m, sent Caicedo on a week's holiday and then when the window slammed shut, we immediately gave him an improved contract.

I think it'll have been made clear to him that we won't let him go until we have someone to replace him, we will let him go after he's done his time here (and given him Ale Mac, Biss, Cucu, White & Tross as examples) but we do value him and here's an enormous pay rise to prove it. What's more, this will not be new to him. He'll have been told all of that before he signed. The only new bit would have been the improved contract, and that will keep him happy while he plies his trade here.

So the 20% (chance that Caicedo leaves) is if we receive an obscene amount of money (£100m?) and our club takes a chance that we can do without him for a season when we're not quite prepared for it. Even then, I'm not sure that is a decision they'd make.

But for me, Caicedo is 95% sure to go in the summer 2024.
Very much this but it depends on European football. If we qualify for the Europa League there is a great platform (one Alexis has already performed on at the World Cup) for Caicedo to show he is an elite player ready to play at the top level.

I don't think the club will be able to hold on to both if we finish eighth and Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Newcastle and United all qualify for Europe and want Caicedo.

If we get 6th, I think Ali Mac goes and Caicedo stay, if we get 7th we will be under pressure to keep both, and if we get 8th we lose both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here