[Albion] Offside?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This!
It's well established that the technology is not precise enough to make these calls.
The technology in cricket has a much higher chance of being consistently correct and yet a margin for error is factored in.
Goals that looked acceptable to everyone, and technology does not provide definitive proof , should always stand.
its also worth noting how much they rely on the snickometer for ultra close calls, because the video and frame rate just doesnt give the resolution.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
If we continue to use VAR for offside can't it be changed next season to only use the feet of the players , as Dunk's feet appeared to be onside but his body judge offside ! I would also say that if the two lines drawn between attacker and defender appear to touch then the decision should always be given onside - this might encourage more attacking and goals standing.

Saying all that I would prefer to go back to only the three officials decisions stand , no technology used (apart from goal line technology) and Clubs, TV companies and pundits are not allowed to review footage frame by frame and criticize referees - this is what caused the introduction of VAR

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If we continue to use VAR for offside can't it be changed next season to only use the feet of the players , as Dunk's feet appeared to be onside but his body judge offside ! I would also say that if the two lines drawn between attacker and defender appear to touch then the decision should always be given onside - this might encourage more attacking and goals standing.

Saying all that I would prefer to go back to only the three officials decisions stand , no technology used (apart from goal line technology) and Clubs, TV companies and pundits are not allowed to review footage frame by frame and criticize referees - this is what caused the introduction of VAR
Especially as he scored with his foot.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I don't think so, as I assume that would require a change in the laws of the game.

I think PGMOL could make a decision on how they make the decision, i.e. when they overrule the onfield decision.
Effectively implementing a clear and obvious policy on offside.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Cricket deals with this kind of thing much better because it admits that subjectivity exists and accounts for that with the rule that gives the umpire's call precedence unless proven undoubtedly wrong by technology. Football referees are in a search for impossible perfection because organising bodies are terrified of television criticism and legal challenge from powerful clubs.
Re. the cricket comparison, I'd say the best comparison is with the judgment on whether catches have carried cleanly or not. In that regard cricket has exactly the same problem as football - the cameras are simply not up to the job of determining what has happened. And they dumped the "soft signal" element on those decisions because it was felt an umpire who couldn't possibly have seen what happened shouldn't be overriding the 3rd umpire. Although everybody also agrees the 3rd umpire can't see either.
It's never going to be possible to make judgements to the nearest mm in these situations and the rules should acknowledge that. Football at least could easily amend the offside rule to allow for the lack of certainty.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Let's just nip some of these comments in the bud.

1) it doesn't need to be a clear and obvious error for an offside. All goals are assessed for offside, clear and obvious only applies to fouls/serious foul play.

2) the line is drawn to the shoulder which is above the elbow.

That being said: f*** this anti-football decision.
And there in a nutshell is the biggest mistake they made when they brought in VAR. Apply 'clear and obvious' to offside and they'd be well on the way to making VAR acceptable.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
1699204781987.png
That would depend on it being actually offside.

(I'm obviously terrible at quoting posts)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And there in a nutshell is the biggest mistake they made when they brought in VAR. Apply 'clear and obvious' to offside and they'd be well on the way to making VAR acceptable.
Nonsense.

All that would happen would be fans claiming VAR is worthless, because 'that offside decision that went against us was a clear and obvious error, can't see why it wasn't overruled. That offside decision that was overruled costing us? Well, that was never clear and obvious. We need to bin VAR if they're just going to use it to screw over clubs like Brighton to protect the big six/the home side/the ref'

There will always be people complaining about VAR. Get rid of it, people will be split between complaining about the ref (like they did before VAR) and complaining about the lack of VAR.

Everyone thinks they have the perfect answer to make VAR work, but their answer won't work for everyone. There are too many opinions on how it should be used, when it should be used, who should do what part of the process, etc.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
If it has then Groß must be about 4m tall.
Look at the end of the smear that represents the ball. It's current position is at the right hand end of that, maybe half a metre plus from the foot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105-140438_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231105-140438_Chrome.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
OK, it's at least half a metre, the distance from his foot to his knee, and looks close to the distance from his foot to his hip, which is one metre.
Is Gross 2m tall?
No. No he's not. I'm not even going to bother looking that up because it's clearly not true.
I'd take a stab at about 0.6m. But really it doesn't matter, the point is none of this is so precise that we should be chalking off goals for the sake of a few inches.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Is Gross 2m tall?
No. No he's not. I'm not even going to bother looking that up because it's clearly not true.
I'd take a stab at about 0.6m. But really it doesn't matter, the point is none of this is so precise that we should be chalking off goals for the sake of a few inches.
Absolutely agree. Gross is about 1.8m so the ball has moved AT LEAST half a metre based on that blurry image. Since they ruled Dunk offside by a gnat's cock as he was racing forward it invalidates the offside call on its own, let alone when you factor in that they seem to have drawn the line incorrectly from his sleeve instead of his armpit.
Edit: fwiw I am 1.74m tall and from my foot to my hip is 1m

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Absolutely agree. Gross is about 1.8m so the ball has moved AT LEAST half a metre based on that blurry image. Since they ruled Dunk offside by a gnat's cock as he was racing forward it invalidates the offside call on its own, let alone when you factor in that they seem to have drawn the line incorrectly from his sleeve instead of his armpit.
Edit: fwiw I am 1.74m tall and from my foot to my hip is 1m
I'm out at the moment, but having been measured at 6'2.5" the other day (and I'm a damn sight taller than most people who claim to be 6'3") I''ll check my foot to hip when I'm in later.
What will this prove? Absolutely f*** all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nonsense.

All that would happen would be fans claiming VAR is worthless, because 'that offside decision that went against us was a clear and obvious error, can't see why it wasn't overruled. That offside decision that was overruled costing us? Well, that was never clear and obvious. We need to bin VAR if they're just going to use it to screw over clubs like Brighton to protect the big six/the home side/the ref'

There will always be people complaining about VAR. Get rid of it, people will be split between complaining about the ref (like they did before VAR) and complaining about the lack of VAR.

Everyone thinks they have the perfect answer to make VAR work, but their answer won't work for everyone. There are too many opinions on how it should be used, when it should be used, who should do what part of the process, etc.
I agree with @GT49er . Whilst clear and obvious will have an element of subjectivity, the vast majority of people will understand especially when they see the VAR images. Can you imagine any sane person arguing the Dunk image conclusively shows him offside?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports