Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Offside?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Completely agree with point one, but fall the other way with the second paragraph.

Assistant referees are making unbelievably close calls, that are unbelievably difficult to get right in the moment. I think we should be leaning hard into semi-automated offsides. It is able to conclusively judge the moment that the ball is kicked, it is able to conclusively work out positions of players and deliver an offside decision within seconds, not minutes, and finally, it is able to create an image that clearly shows the crowd whether it was offside or onside. I understand that a lot of people want to get rid of VAR completely but that isn't going to happen - there are too many people and too much money involved to just scrap it. I cannot fathom why the clubs thought this wishy washy, neither here nor there approach was better than semi-automated.
Presumably money! The extra cost of the cameras and system to make it work.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Conversation on the train back to Euston yesterday was that clearly most ( 85% ? ) of fans actually inside the grounds would like VAR to be binned. How can we harness and coordinate the fan voice to effect change ? Some sort of social media campaign would surely go viral. But you'd need to find a way to exclude the tv audience in the USA and other places who are less invested in supporting a team and enjoy the VAR spectacle.
But fans that attend games are not that important whereas the drama generated on TV is what to he TV companies want.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But fans that attend games are not that important whereas the drama generated on TV is what to he TV companies want.
Football had/has PLENTY of drama without VAR.

Get rid of it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here