Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Is anybody part of a running club on here? I think the closest one to me is Hove Hornets, anyone know anything about them?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is anybody part of a running club on here? I think the closest one to me is Hove Hornets, anyone know anything about them?

I'm part of a club. It is a great discipline although you end up with the usual bunch of supportive and snotty fellow runners.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm part of a club. It is a great discipline although you end up with the usual bunch of supportive and snotty fellow runners.

One of the things which really struck me at the Mince Pie 10 mile was the club runner mentality, I've always resisted the suggestion of joining a running club but seeing all the Orpington Road Runners people, in particular, made me wonder if I'm missing out a bit.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
One of the things which really struck me at the Mince Pie 10 mile was the club runner mentality, I've always resisted the suggestion of joining a running club but seeing all the Orpington Road Runners people, in particular, made me wonder if I'm missing out a bit.

There's a touch of Real Ale Twats in many clubs, BUT the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bloody good efforts all round chaps........went for a quick jog this morning, seemed a bit breezy.....

This popped up on facebook. Hove Hornets page [emoji3]

4da40abeeecd5b271f5654bef3bd2cdf.jpg

[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] you have to watch the Hornets. They joined me on their Facebook page without eeven asking me.:)

I have seen them at various runs and Parkrun. They have fun but I don't think they are good enough for your level. You could always check them out with a test visit. I would like to read your review.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

http://arena80.co.uk/ Is full of serious runners but I don't know whether there social side is serious as well.
Nick Rivett of Intersport on Church Road Hove has a brilliant group. I tried to join but the waiting list was closed. Not sure if they didn't just say that as they believed I was joining for perving reasons. Certainly the most photogenic group.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009

Oooh - I'm one of the Orpington Road Runners, but couldn't make the Mince Pie run. Agree with all the other comments, you do get a few odd people in the club (the same with any club) but the benefits are fantastic. I strongly suspect I wouldn't have stuck with running without the club as it's just so much easier and more enjoyable to head out in a group than on your own.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Looking back at 30 years plus as running as an 'unattached' I think that on balance I missed out on not joining a club. I think there's always the extra motivation of 'running for the vest' plus the support. As someone who hasn't 'joined up' , I'd say it's really worth a try. And if it doesn't work out you can always default to the Johnny-no-mates status of unattached!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Been with Burgess Hill Runners for years. Don't train with them much at the moment because I am following a plan, but with most clubs you'll get cheap coaching, lots of encouragement, incentives to run races and a fair amount of optional social stuff. BHR have a very detailed website, go and have a look.....

www.bhrunners.co.uk

Likely to improve your overall running quite a bit.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Been with Burgess Hill Runners for years. Don't train with them much at the moment because I am following a plan, but with most clubs you'll get cheap coaching, lots of encouragement, incentives to run races and a fair amount of optional social stuff. BHR have a very detailed website, go and have a look.....

www.bhrunners.co.uk

Likely to improve your overall running quite a bit.

That's the site i'm currently using thanks to your recommendation :) . It is very good and so far so is the BH Runners coach I'm using.

I'm also following an individual plan and, in any case. I have to fit my runs round my life rather than my life round my runs. I'm also a coach at my son's football club and on their tournament committee. If i joined a running club full time I would want to help out / martial etc and I'm not sure how I'd fir it in right now. For that reason only I haven't joined but the information and plan I've got just by association with Dazzer's club have been first class.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyone racing this weekend (including Parkruns)?

No racing. Week three of marathon training has me doing a 1hr 50 min PLOD at about 6.30 tomorrow morning. That's the only time I can fit it in tomorrow and Sunday will be a total write off, due to a large group of us heading to The View's Funk the Format night for my mate's birthday. Hawaiian shirts, cocktails till 2am and terrible dancing do not make for a long run the next day.

Enjoy your RACING everyone though. *grits teeth* *remembers coach is on strava*

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had a frustrating 6 weeks running getting nowhere after a 2 month lay off. Today finally felt myself getting back on track. At the end of a 30 mile 7 days, including the Mince Pie 10 and a 9 mile slow up to the Dyke round a bit and back, managed a 21:11. Parkrun. First sub 22 since August. Managed to get beaten by school mate so we should keep up the unbeaten run at Derby.
Now for a week of 10 minute miles and some hills.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Had a frustrating 6 weeks running getting nowhere after a 2 month lay off. Today finally felt myself getting back on track. At the end of a 30 mile 7 days, including the Mince Pie 10 and a 9 mile slow up to the Dyke round a bit and back, managed a 21:11. Parkrun. First sub 22 since August. Managed to get beaten by school mate so we should keep up the unbeaten run at Derby.
Now for a week of 10 minute miles and some hills.

I finished just ahead of you if you did Hove. Had indigestion so couldn't push.

Wasn't the Santa Dash £20?

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Wormwood Scrubs parkrun this morning.
I could smell the breakfast wafting over from the Prison.

Olympic Park Mo Farah Santa Run tomorrow.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Not racing but if you are at Hove Park tomorrow I may open the accelerator to try to not lose. You'll definitely get the AG win.
Good day tomorrow 20 mph push up the hill and sheltered from it running home. Perfect.

Did Bognor parkrun: 21:55. Am slowing down! Am ready for the taking! However,

a) it's a slow course (especially the way I run it); twists and turns and quite a few slower runners to lap;

b) my birthday is on 27/12 so I clock up another year (believe it or not) which makes my AG % a bit more 'forgiving'

However. a resurgent Knocky should have grounds for optimism.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Did Bognor parkrun: 21:55. Am slowing down! Am ready for the taking! However,

a) it's a slow course (especially the way I run it); twists and turns and quite a few slower runners to lap;

b) my birthday is on 27/12 so I clock up another year (believe it or not) which makes my AG % a bit more 'forgiving'

However. a resurgent Knocky should have grounds for optimism.

You must have had a bad headwind today. We had a little push up the hill with it. No optimism for becoming AG Champion. Well aware of the battle ahead. Will put it on hold. Now switching to a marathon training plan and looking forward to it. Just really happy the legs have got going again.
Let us know when you visit Hove Parkrun next. We can meet up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here