Official Running Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm intrigued. What are they? Is this running related or West Street? I'm jealous......

:lolol:

Short bursts of speed that work your legs rather than your lungs. I just put 10 * 15 second sprints in to a four mile plod. It makes your graph look like this............

1 a pickups.JPG

.........much like some of West St's finest back in the day......

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
:lolol:

Short bursts of speed that work your legs rather than your lungs. I just put 10 * 15 second sprints in to a four mile plod. It makes your graph look like this............

View attachment 70730

.........much like some of West St's finest back in the day......

Never done those. I'll try them. A kind of mini Fartlek incorporated into a plod. Gets the legs up to speed and plenty of time to rid the lactate.
You must have had something worth chasing on the 4th pickup.........

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A nice end to my 10th and final Park Run this year, decent conditions with a cooling wind blowing straight across. Started quickly with a 5:57 first mile and then I knew I could get close to sub 19 minute 5k for the first time. Just made it with a sprint finish to take 7th place in 18:59.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/986353780

How did everyone else get on today?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A nice end to my 10th and final Park Run this year, decent conditions with a cooling wind blowing straight across. Started quickly with a 5:57 first mile and then I knew I could get close to sub 19 minute 5k for the first time. Just made it with a sprint finish to take 7th place in 18:59.

Brilliant running. Excellent running. 13 months ago I finished a second or two behind you in the first NSC challenge. You've taken 2 minutes off since then. :bowdown:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Fantastic. Well done what a nice way to finish the year.

Just me and @7:16 at Hove Park this morning on what felt like a late spring day. Felt better than last week though still not 100% plus a couple of Christmas parties have taken their toll. 21:33 and a lowly 88th place due to a large turn out of Arena runners.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Great way to finish the year. Well done. I managed a pretty bog standard 21:50 - at a relatively windless Bognor.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Marathon training started today. Kicked off with the AITC Santa Dash which was fun and then ran home from the Amex maintaining a steady heart rate of 146. 10 miles in about 1:24. Now back to the Christmas parties!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Portsmouth Marathon - 4:02:something. Strava reckons the course was 27.1miles! Madness. It was longer than 26.2, no question. I suffered a hamstring tweak at mile 25 and I seized up all over the place. The nice medical heroes appeared with a magic sponge and massaging hands and after a 10 minute fail I was able to blunder home.

Conditions were nasty, lovely and middling at various times and I would like to make a special mention to my first proper running shoes, which are no longer with us. After 3 marathons, countless halfs, a few 10 milers and all my Parkruns, they smell. Horrifically. So I utterly battered them all day, there wasn't a puddle I didn't jump on.

Farewell, lads.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Marathon training started today. Kicked off with the AITC Santa Dash which was fun and then ran home from the Amex maintaining a steady heart rate of 146. 10 miles in about 1:24. Now back to the Christmas parties!

Portsmouth Marathon - 4:02:something. Strava reckons the course was 27.1miles! Madness. It was longer than 26.2, no question. I suffered a hamstring tweak at mile 25 and I seized up all over the place. The nice medical heroes appeared with a magic sponge and massaging hands and after a 10 minute fail I was able to blunder home.

Conditions were nasty, lovely and middling at various times and I would like to make a special mention to my first proper running shoes, which are no longer with us. After 3 marathons, countless halfs, a few 10 milers and all my Parkruns, they smell. Horrifically. So I utterly battered them all day, there wasn't a puddle I didn't jump on.

Farewell, lads.

Top running all round chaps !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Top running all round chaps !

Yep, incredible running all round. Well done all and to Brighton fan Tim Jones who smashed the 50k ultra portion of today's runs in Portsmouth.

I finally managed to bash out 10 miles this evening. This morning the only thing I was bashing out was my dinner. I blame my brother and Christmas in that order. An easy week this week, after which it looks like it might get truly scary.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good running people. I went out Saturday instead of Sunday for long run action. 13.5 miles in two hours after a half-marathon distance run on Wednesday, and I was feeling it a little, so just a light one tomorrow morning probably. Gotta keep going through - the counter the extra calories at this time of year, if nothing else...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

That is seriously impressive, though I have to ask - what is going on with your Strava account, as that has you going even quicker!?!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I went out for the first time in over a week today, I don't seem to have piled on the pounds at the Butlins buffets last week, and despite the wind and rain manged to average about 6:50 minute miles over my 8.6 mile route without straining myself. I'm homing in on an attempt at a sub hour and a half time for the half marathon in March.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011

Managed a PB of 27:30 for the Promenade Park Run. Quite chuffed but realising today I should have stretched a lot more than I did.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That is seriously impressive, though I have to ask - what is going on with your Strava account, as that has you going even quicker!?!

Not sure about Strava it tends to overestimate my pace slightly on each run.

Good pace over 8.6 miles it's a distance I've run a fair bit as that's bang on 7 minute miles for 60 minutes.

My next challenge is to try and run 9 miles in an hour I got to 8.81 on my first attempt.

You should get sub 1:30 for a half based on your training times. That was my aim too at the beginning of the year but feel I can push on to 1:27 or under now.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
just to clarify - I had very little left. Went out a bit quicker than normal and just kept with it. I did have a gym session booked in on the Sunday involving deadlifts...safe to say that didn't occur!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports