Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I seem to remember that you beat me that day and that I was trying my hardest to stop you disappearing off into the distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You arrived from a 12 hour Night Shift at the hospital. 🙌🙌

Still remember that Steward not being at the right position for the turning point. 😃

CoolTed

Nov 2, 2015
So I propose a new model: the 'Wind and Hill Adjusted U Curve Model'.

It's a pity they haven't yet perfected power meters for runners. Stryd seems to account for gradients pretty well and, to a degree, wind. But I don't think it can recognize the negative impact of poor running surfaces.

On a road surface, with a steady (and not too strong) wind, it can help to manage effort.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
A bit of Parkrun tourism today: Southampton Common, an impressively huge expanse of parkland. It's been at times the 2nd biggest PR (after Bushy) and today had 565 runners. A fast runner friendly course, although a tad hillier than expected. Recommended if you are ever down that way.

21.03/48th/1st 65-69 (and 60-64)/80.44%AG

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
A bit of Parkrun tourism today: Southampton Common, an impressively huge expanse of parkland. It's been at times the 2nd biggest PR (after Bushy) and today had 565 runners. A fast runner friendly course, although a tad hillier than expected. Recommended if you are ever down that way.

Impressive end of year form.

I went down to the Prom - bitter easterly wind made running conditions a bit unpleasant but happy enough with 21:06.

Hit 1500 miles for the year this week.
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] - we may well be at Chevin Forest parkrun on Christmas Day if you’re around - although appreciate you have your Boxing Day event to look forward to!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

One of my two contenders for NSCSPOTY. I think you're 80% consistency gives you the edge.

Just had a 2 mile run. 100% painless on the achilles. Got up to a 7:20 pace for short periods. Zilch stamina but a starting point.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Still plodding along here - just gone through 3,000 miles for the year - just 13 days to go to complete my aim of running every day of 2021.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Impressive end of year form.

I went down to the Prom - bitter easterly wind made running conditions a bit unpleasant but happy enough with 21:06.

Hit 1500 miles for the year this week.

[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] - we may well be at Chevin Forest parkrun on Christmas Day if you’re around - although appreciate you have your Boxing Day event to look forward to!

It is tempting but am no good at running two days in a row! Ran through it yesterday on a reccy which was an odd experience.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
A slow 10 miles for me today, trying to get back into the swing of things having not run much recently.

I've given myself an incentive by signing up to the G3 trail half marathon in January. It takes in most of the challenging inclines around St Marthas and Newlands Corner so I guess I know where I'll be getting myself back up to speed!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
One of my two contenders for NSCSPOTY. I think you're 80% consistency gives you the edge.

Just had a 2 mile run. 100% painless on the achilles. Got up to a 7:20 pace for short periods. Zilch stamina but a starting point.

Thanks mate. I take it that my complete absence of anything resembling a personality won't be a factor in the award?

Key word in your post; 'painless'. You'll be back in 2022.

Talking of which we're still 2 weeks away from 2022 but I think it's time to invite people to submit a review of their running year: the highs, the lows (sorry) - achievements in terms of PBs, annual mileages, best running experiences of 2021 etc.

For me, it's been a bit of a golden year, consistently breaking through the hallowed 80% AG and sneaking into the top 100 in my age category for Parkruns (87th) and 10k (86th). I've stayed free of serious injury (just 3 weeks off for my heel problem) and usually prevailed over the old gits I've come up against.

But we've all got one more opportunity for our 5k SBs on Xmas Day, so someone (probably called Artie) can still pull out the Big One...............

Thank you, Saucony Endorphins!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks mate. I take it that my complete absence of anything resembling a personality won't be a factor in the award?

Key word in your post; 'painless'. You'll be back in 2022.

Talking of which we're still 2 weeks away from 2022 but I think it's time to invite people to submit a review of their running year: the highs, the lows (sorry) - achievements in terms of PBs, annual mileages, best running experiences of 2021 etc.

For me, it's been a bit of a golden year, consistently breaking through the hallowed 80% AG and sneaking into the top 100 in my age category for Parkruns (87th) and 10k (86th). I've stayed free of serious injury (just 3 weeks off for my heel problem) and usually prevailed over the old gits I've come up against.

But we've all got one more opportunity for our 5k SBs on Xmas Day, so someone (probably called Artie) can still pull out the Big One...............

Thank you, Saucony Endorphins!

For me it's been a great year that could have been excellent. Only 300 miles was the lowest tally for years but all ran at a faster pace than usual. I started to hit form in May, injured my calf, worked it for 3 months and injured the achilles on the other leg on the return in August. Oldest rule in the book is to always work both legs when injured......
5 Parkruns only. One at home on the Prom and 4 away covering 3 countries; Scotland, Ireland and England with Maldon and our Bob! being a good visit and Worthing where I was lucky not to get trounced thanks to the postal system preventing your new shoes from arriving. I lost the AG but would have cried if I'd lost the head to head.

Had some good track runs but my run of the year was chasing down my rival in the 9K run of the Arundel Triathlon. 7 minutes down and I caught him only to lose out by 2 seconds. Despite a massive off road hill and an undulating hill I ran that one at a good effort with that beautiful deep raw blister.

East Brighton Parkrun for me Xmas Day avoiding Preston Park as I'd end up chasing people down and getting injured again.
Keep on running everyone.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
For me it's been a great year that could have been excellent. Only 300 miles was the lowest tally for years but all ran at a faster pace than usual. I started to hit form in May, injured my calf, worked it for 3 months and injured the achilles on the other leg on the return in August. Oldest rule in the book is to always work both legs when injured......
5 Parkruns only. One at home on the Prom and 4 away covering 3 countries; Scotland, Ireland and England with Maldon and our Bob! being a good visit and Worthing where I was lucky not to get trounced thanks to the postal system preventing your new shoes from arriving. I lost the AG but would have cried if I'd lost the head to head.

Had some good track runs but my run of the year was chasing down my rival in the 9K run of the Arundel Triathlon. 7 minutes down and I caught him only to lose out by 2 seconds. Despite a massive off road hill and an undulating hill I ran that one at a good effort with that beautiful deep raw blister.

East Brighton Parkrun for me Xmas Day avoiding Preston Park as I'd end up chasing people down and getting injured again.
Keep on running everyone.

Just checking out the parking at East Brighton..............

Will do Worthing in the hope of favourable conditions to finish the year on a high. E. Brighton is a slow old course where I made the mistake of 'sprinting' for the line while not realising I had another lap to do.

Take it easy. If Johnson follows the Welsh Covid regs (Parkruns not allowed) then this will be the last for a while. Good luck and just come through it in one piece.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just checking out the parking at East Brighton..............

Will do Worthing in the hope of favourable conditions to finish the year on a high. E. Brighton is a slow old course where I made the mistake of 'sprinting' for the line while not realising I had another lap to do.

Take it easy. If Johnson follows the Welsh Covid regs (Parkruns not allowed) then this will be the last for a while. Good luck and just come through it in one piece.

26 minutes will do. I've never done the 'hawk Parkrun as pre covid Arena did a 5 local Parkrun challenge and if you got a PB you gained extra league points. Nice and easy as you say but not sure about my Xmas dip.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Season's Greetings.
Had a good run at East Brighton today. 20% unfit gave me a 25:31 finish. Nice slippy course and Parkrun team.
Took it on the side of easy but failed to catch Chris Naylor on the run in so sat back as in a big empty gap. Losing to her meant two over 65's beat me as Paul Gasson was also there.
Good Xmas present.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Season's Greetings.
Had a good run at East Brighton today. 20% unfit gave me a 25:31 finish. Nice slippy course and Parkrun team.
Took it on the side of easy but failed to catch Chris Naylor on the run in so sat back as in a big empty gap. Losing to her meant two over 65's beat me as Paul Gasson was also there.
Good Xmas present.

Job done then - and a cheeky little category win. Saw Gasson's time - pretty rapid in those conditions.

My last run as a youngster of 66 today: 20.57/80.83%. OK but nowhere near the SB I was hoping for. Won't blame the teeming rain but will blame the 1st km of 4.03 which was far too quick.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Job done then - and a cheeky little category win. Saw Gasson's time - pretty rapid in those conditions.

My last run as a youngster of 66 today: 20.57/80.83%. OK but nowhere near the SB I was hoping for. Won't blame the teeming rain but will blame the 1st km of 4.03 which was far too quick.

PG's daughter ran a good race today and gave him a good beating.
Before my dip in the sea I realised that this year I have done 5 course PBs from 6 Parkruns this year.
Most were virgin runs except Worthing where an old git pushed this old git to a PB.

Last edited:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Happy Christmas running chums.

Chevin Forest parkrun for me - properly muddy and 17th place and robbed of a pb when a horse interrupted play on the second lap.

Have a great Christmas everyone and hope to see you soon for some running fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here