Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
This is my 10km PB history since I was able to return to running in autumn 2019...

27/10/19 48:01
21/11/19 46:10
01/03/20 45:57
21/03/20 44:34
10/05/20 43:58
07/06/20 43:24
07/11/20 41:32
25/02/21 39:05

Over this time, I've not done anything special at all. No speed work, fartleks, hill sprints, Park Runs nor speed-specific training plans - I just go out running, mixing up road and hilly trails on the Downs.

So, for me, the key has just been consistent running, week after week, month after month and then, every now and again, putting in some real effort to see if I've improved at the shorter distances.

Very sound advice but what were you doing outside of these distances? Mixing up with much longer stretches over varied terrain? Often there’s nothing like getting distance into your legs rather than trying to achieve if that makes sense?

My only concern is I’m starting a new job in two weeks and I’ve got two kids under 4 so consistency of getting out is going to be hard!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good running start to 2022 for NSC with Bozza leading the way in the dark. Good to see an immediate 80% AG from the old boy.

I had a run out on the Prom and after a chatty first half with a ligament watching Ninja pushed on a little for a 23:45. Enjoyed chasing down 10 runners on the run in. Happy with that with just 4 runs after 3 months of FA.

CoolTed

Nov 2, 2015
21.20 was a tad disappointing, but with the gift of a birthday just allowed me to scrape over the 80% AG (80.08%).

A belated Happy Birthday to you, GNT. The AG gift is one that keeps on giving!

My year: a total of 1920 miles. Low: the cancellation of events that I'd been looking forward to for a long time. High: the return of my local cross country league - there aren't many sporting events like this which provide meaningful competition across an age range of over 70 years. And where every finisher makes a positive contribution to his/her team.

2022: by 11:00 this morning I'd clocked up 19K. But I guess Bozza will soon pass that, if he hasn't already!

Happy New Year to everyone.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That's me done for 2021 - the first time I've run every day of a calendar year.

I finished the year on 3117.4 miles and 132,556 feet of hills, which averages out at 8.5 miles/day; 59.9 miles/week and 259.8 miles/month.

I was going to just have a little plod today, but I noticed I'd not completed the Strava monthly half-marathon challenge, which i couldn't ignore. I ran a 1:34:34 half which is, apparently, my second best. It's a good four minutes outside my PB, and I certainly wasn't trying to beat that, but it's a nice little confidence boost as it feels like I've lost a lot of fitness and/or speed over the second half of the year.

No rest for the wicked, straight into RED (Run Every Day) January during which I'll pass my two-year Run Streak. I'll very possibly be undetaking a short Dog Jog to get home from [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]'s house in the wee early hours of tomorrow morning. It's a good job that runners aren't breathalysed...

Impressive and well done Bozza. Running every day is tough and two years without a break is, can I say, a touch obsessive.

I’m of a similar make up (not as bad) and decided that today, for the first time in months, I would not run, therefore forcing a break. It’s 8pm now, I’ve just eaten, and am contemplating a short run. It gets to you doesn’t it?

My plan for 2022 is to enjoy running and see what happens.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That's me done for 2021 - the first time I've run every day of a calendar year.

I finished the year on 3117.4 miles and 132,556 feet of hills, which averages out at 8.5 miles/day; 59.9 miles/week and 259.8 miles/month.

I was going to just have a little plod today, but I noticed I'd not completed the Strava monthly half-marathon challenge, which i couldn't ignore. I ran a 1:34:34 half which is, apparently, my second best. It's a good four minutes outside my PB, and I certainly wasn't trying to beat that, but it's a nice little confidence boost as it feels like I've lost a lot of fitness and/or speed over the second half of the year.

No rest for the wicked, straight into RED (Run Every Day) January during which I'll pass my two-year Run Streak. I'll very possibly be undetaking a short Dog Jog to get home from [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]'s house in the wee early hours of tomorrow morning. It's a good job that runners aren't breathalysed...

Impressive and well done Bozza. Running every day is tough and two years without a break is, can I say, a touch obsessive.

I’m of a similar make up (not as bad) and decided that today, for the first time in months, I would not run, therefore forcing a break. It’s 8pm now, I’ve just eaten, and am contemplating a short run. It gets to you doesn’t it?

Ps 2400 miles in 2021

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Ps 2400 miles in 2021

2400 miles is impressive. What are you running away from?😀

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
2400 miles is impressive. What are you running away from?😀

Said in jest I’m sure …. but I’m a sucker for stats and doing more than last time, so quality and enjoyment suffer in my efforts to rack up the numbers. I suppose I like doing things that I can measure objectively. Park run became a regular disappointment as my times didn’t improve. Perhaps I need to look at the AG now, or perhaps I just need to relax a bit!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Said in jest I’m sure …. but I’m a sucker for stats and doing more than last time, so quality and enjoyment suffer in my efforts to rack up the numbers. I suppose I like doing things that I can measure objectively. Park run became a regular disappointment as my times didn’t improve. Perhaps I need to look at the AG now, or perhaps I just need to relax a bit!

2,400 miles is incredible.
Keep on running that’s all that counts on here. 🏃 🏃

Rest, tapering and recovery give better times from my experience.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Thank you. I’ve had a day of rest and now feel unfit and overweight 🥳

I’ll try and heed your wise words

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Shameless JustGiving plug

Hi guys - shameless JustGiving plug so if that’s not your bag then skip right on to the next post but for those of you with a heart please consider reading my page and then even if you’re not in a position to donate consider sharing on social media if you can:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundrais...ail&utm_term=f20ced70b82a45a797398b0f500e64a5.

Thanks for getting this far if you did!

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Right, I'm going all in for the Manchester Marathon.
I've had a pair of Alphaflys in my basket for 2 days now, should I 'just do it' or would I be wasting my money?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Happy New Year runners!

I’ve always been the opposite to this and Bozza and needed to train for races and PBs to keep myself going.

In the new world this is going to change. I didn’t enter a single race in 2021 and, while I deferred BM to April I won’t do that either. I’ll likely switch to the BM10K and jog round that to enjoy myself.

Covid has meant I can no longer be bothered to pay a huge amount for a race I might miss or not be able to train for due to illness.
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] have both seen my new puppy. My main objective this year will be to try and get some kind of running schedule that works around him until he’s well trained enough to run with me up the downs and on the prom.

If I hit 500 miles I’ll be pleased but there’s no mileage target either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

100% Gaffer! Wise words.
It can sometimes be really hard to resist the urge but scheduled rest days are just as important as running days. Improvements come calling when the body rests and recovers after stress, not during the stress of actually running. More specifically it happens when we sleep. Sleep is the most beneficial tool we have to improving.

HNY! :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 2719

I targetted a 25% increase on my PB for overall distance in 2021, but fell short by 14k due to illness in the last 2 weeks.
So p*ssed off.
I suppose I got my PB but this seemed so achievable with 2 weeks to go.

Time to reset and go again.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I've just 'rescued' our thread from the bottom place on page 5. This is the equivalent of the Albion finding themselves on the edge of National League (South). Tragic.
If we can populate it with our weekend runs then we can restore it to its rightful place towards the top of the EPL.

I've taken to running up hills in the evenings. But the evenings have to be mild and the hills have to be short. I've also altered my 'intervals' routine to 500m at 5k pace minus 10 seconds (i.e. just sub 4 mins per km pace for me), with 2 minute recoveries. Only managed 6, so room for improvement.

Hope this will enable my 5k times to be maintained or (ideally) improved. Anyone else tweaked their training for the new year?

Last edited:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Scared myself with the realisation of a 20 mile off-roader only being two months away. Need to start upping the mileage a bit! Started with 11 miles of sunshine and mud on the Downs this morning.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Booked myself a 2 mile trip to the physio on Monday but will be up for a 23+ Hove Prom run tomorrow. Hips, core and VERY painful buttocks stopping any running since last Saturday but got in 20 miles walking.

Knew it wouldn't be an immediate return to action, happy with the rest and recovery.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
After the tumbleweeds from here had cleared when I asked for opinions on them I bit the bullet and bought these for my Manchester Marathon attempt, now does anyone know where I can get a running vest version of our away kit?!
Screenshot_20220108-100743~2.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here