Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyone got any tips on going beyond 10 miles / half marathon please as my legs seem to fall apart at that point? Admittedly I'm doing pretty technical, hilly, rocky and muddy trails... and not really eating or drinking anything which probably doesn't help?

I have basically decided road running isn't for me, except when I have to :lol:

Just keep running. The gains come so slowly you don't notice them until you suddenly realise that you've improved distance and/or speed quite considerably.

At the start of my current run streak (681 days and counting) back in February 2020, I'd cover about 180 miles a month, and that took a fair bit of effort. Into this year, that had increased to 270-280 miles a month. I've intentionally eased back since September as I was feeling some fatigue, but I still cover 50+ miles a week without really feeling like I'm trying. 18 months ago, I couldn't have done that.

I mix up road and trail for variety - my favourite local trail loop is a touch over 10 miles and takes me over both Cissbury and Chanctonbury rings, so about 1,100 feet of hills. It is undoubtedly more of a challenge than 10 miles on the road, but also a lot more fun!

I've never taken food or drink out with me when I run, so I don't tend to limit myself to around 17 miles / two and a bit hours. Maybe I'd perform better if I did take stuff with me, but I'm happy not having to faff.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just keep running. The gains come so slowly you don't notice them until you suddenly realise that you've improved distance and/or speed quite considerably.

At the start of my current run streak (681 days and counting) back in February 2020, I'd cover about 180 miles a month, and that took a fair bit of effort. Into this year, that had increased to 270-280 miles a month. I've intentionally eased back since September as I was feeling some fatigue, but I still cover 50+ miles a week without really feeling like I'm trying. 18 months ago, I couldn't have done that.

I mix up road and trail for variety - my favourite local trail loop is a touch over 10 miles and takes me over both Cissbury and Chanctonbury rings, so about 1,100 feet of hills. It is undoubtedly more of a challenge than 10 miles on the road, but also a lot more fun!

I've never taken food or drink out with me when I run, so I don't tend to limit myself to around 17 miles / two and a bit hours. Maybe I'd perform better if I did take stuff with me, but I'm happy not having to faff.

I’m another one who doesn’t take food, water or gels even on my final long runs before a marathon.

I was regularly up at about 20-21 miles and never felt a real need for it.

Back to the original question around long runs, off road miles tend to fly by in comparison to road. Running with company on some or all of the distance helps too.

Perhaps time a long run effort with Park Run and run miles 7-10 as part of that event.

CoolTed

Nov 2, 2015
Haha! Yep navigating the time spent running around work and family commitments is an art in itself.

Eventually it gets easier, guys. Now, with just Mrs Ted and me in the house to irritate each other, absences tend to be encouraged. When I returned from an hour's run this morning, I was greeted with "you weren't out for long".

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Cheered me up. Has Australia ever had a good runner? NO.

I’ve gone into take another month easy mode. Walked 40 miles in 3 days round my old manor in SE1 this week. 1/10 pain in the mornings makes me realise I need to continue the boring calf raise routine. #lazyf*€¥€{

If it cheers you up a bit more, you'll note that I have the worst recorded time for a marathon on the NSC chart!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] another good point. Pretty much all my runs are solo except when I go down to Devon to see my in-laws (my wife's sister and her husband were a big part of what got me into trail running). Think I'll have to join the local club.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If it cheers you up a bit more, you'll note that I have the worst recorded time for a marathon on the NSC chart!

On a more professional note I do request a mile by mile breakdown of your run. I want to see if the curve is u-shaped, upward, consistently flat or downward. Mine is currently pear shaped but ready to get going again today.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
On a more professional note I do request a mile by mile breakdown of your run. I want to see if the curve is u-shaped, upward, consistently flat or downward. Mine is currently pear shaped but ready to get going again today.

If it's the marathon then I'd rather not think about it. I've only done 3 and they all involve wheels dropping off around mile 20. Never again.

If it's my recent 5k then I don't do miles. And in terms of kms, my Garmin is a bit buggered and doesn't record km times. I started fast at 4.04 then went off the boil but probably did an OK final km.

There was another old git running (in addition to the tourist who ducked under 20.00) who I predicted would get around in about 20.35 and I simply latched onto him as I think he runs even paced kms. This he did and he dragged me round - and he ended up with 20.32. I was never more than 5-30 metres behind him and was closing on him in the last 100 metres.

Let's be honest: it's hardly Coe/Ovett! (Except in my head.)

Hope your comeback started well..............

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If it's the marathon then I'd rather not think about it. I've only done 3 and they all involve wheels dropping off around mile 20. Never again.

If it's my recent 5k then I don't do miles. And in terms of kms, my Garmin is a bit buggered and doesn't record km times. I started fast at 4.04 then went off the boil but probably did an OK final km.

There was another old git running (in addition to the tourist who ducked under 20.00) who I predicted would get around in about 20.35 and I simply latched onto him as I think he runs even paced kms. This he did and he dragged me round - and he ended up with 20.32. I was never more than 5-30 metres behind him and was closing on him in the last 100 metres.

Let's be honest: it's hardly Coe/Ovett! (Except in my head.)

Hope your comeback started well..............

Perfect U-Shape from the book [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] lent me. Go hard, dig in for the middle and then kick for home.The book suggests kicking for home after 3K but **** that.
I’m getting a stiffy just reading about your run on Saturday. Great fun.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Perfect U-Shape from the book [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] lent me. Go hard, dig in for the middle and then kick for home.The book suggests kicking for home after 3K but **** that.

My 5k Park Run PB in October was the ultimate U shape

1st K - 3:30
2nd K - 3:40
3rd K - 3:40
4th K - 3:40
5th K - 3:30

Couldn’t find that extra second to dip under 18 frustratingly.

I have though bought my first ever pair of Nike Shoes (Vaporfly’s) if that doesn’t do it, I’ll stick to chirping on about age grading with you old gits.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

I have though bought my first ever pair of Nike Shoes (Vaporfly’s) if that doesn’t do it, I’ll stick to chirping on about age grading with you old gits.

I’m sure some of our OCD friends (and those like me envious of your impressive times) will challenge your assertion that this is an ultimate U, 😀😀

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

That's interesting. That's often my approach in races, especially my 10k PB from October. I struggle to make a final kick in a 5k though. I usually find myself going off too hard at the start and having very little left in the tank.

It's good to be back out running again. I ended up having a full 3 weeks off after my cold developed into a sinus infection. It's going to take me a couple of weeks to get my fitness back up. I did 10k on Saturday and it felt really hard by the end.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

😁😁
Your book says you lost that second on km 4. Obviously many other variables from race day need to be considered but great effort. I’ve never had the balls to kick from there but hopefully I’ll be able to give it a go next spring.

Good luck on a 5KPB before you are forced to join us.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That's interesting. That's often my approach in races, especially my 10k PB from October. I struggle to make a final kick in a 5k though. I usually find myself going off too hard at the start and having very little left in the tank.

It's good to be back out running again. I ended up having a full 3 weeks off after my cold developed into a sinus infection. It's going to take me a couple of weeks to get my fitness back up. I did 10k on Saturday and it felt really hard by the end.

My brother in being a sick note! Take it easy getting back but not as easy as me.

I must add that the book is talking about your main A race of the year and that your brain takes over to push you beyond muscular endurance. I’ve only done it a handful of times and one of them was chasing [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] at Hastings Parkrun 5 or 6 years back.

Enjoy your return to running 🦡.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
����
Your book says you lost that second on km 4. Obviously many other variables from race day need to be considered but great effort. I’ve never had the balls to kick from there but hopefully I’ll be able to give it a go next spring.

Good luck on a 5KPB before you are forced to join us.

Yes old mate: variables indeed. I totally get the U curve model but it's really U curve on effort not on pace. So if we take a course like Worthing (or Lancing) which is the classic 'out and back', then the huge variable is the wind. If I ran a 4.00 min km 1 into the usual 40 mph westerly I wouldn't have anything left for kms 2,3,4,5. (The run on Saturday was on a rare windless day.) Of course it's also true of course with inclines.

So I propose a new model: the 'Wind and Hill Adjusted U Curve Model'. I guess a Heart Rate Monitor would do the trick - but I've never used one.

Having spouted all this bollocks, I did see some research which supported the 'fast first km' (for a 5k) approach that was completed under controlled conditions. (I'd post a link but I can't bloody find it.)

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes old mate: variables indeed. I totally get the U curve model but it's really U curve on effort not on pace. So if we take a course like Worthing (or Lancing) which is the classic 'out and back', then the huge variable is the wind. If I ran a 4.00 min km 1 into the usual 40 mph westerly I wouldn't have anything left for kms 2,3,4,5. (The run on Saturday was on a rare windless day.) Of course it's also true of course with inclines.

So I propose a new model: the 'Wind and Hill Adjusted U Curve Model'. I guess a Heart Rate Monitor would do the trick - but I've never used one.

Having spouted all this bollocks, I did see some research which supported the 'fast first km' (for a 5k) approach that was completed under controlled conditions. (I'd post a link but I can't bloody find it.)

I can accept the sage’s new model, despite there being no wind or hills on Saturday.
The model I mentioned was a study of world record attempts on a track. Likewise any supreme effort by me would be in near perfect conditions.

Right back to my calf raises and walk/jog at up to 9” mile pace….

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Have fun in the Vaporfly's big nuts. I haven't scanned the NSC Runners Strava group for a bit but I think I saw that you've been hitting some really nice quality track sessions? Sub 18 to finish up the year here we come! :thumbsup:

What is the book? I'm looking for a new book to get into.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
My brother in being a sick note! Take it easy getting back but not as easy as me.

I must add that the book is talking about your main A race of the year and that your brain takes over to push you beyond muscular endurance. I’ve only done it a handful of times and one of them was chasing [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] at Hastings Parkrun 5 or 6 years back.

Enjoy your return to running [emoji3084].

I seem to remember that you beat me that day and that I was trying my hardest to stop you disappearing off into the distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Hey [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] , you were right about the Nike Invincible's. I had some ankle collar rubbing on the first couple of runs as the collar is quite high and stiff for me so at first I thought I was going to have to put them aside but once I broke them in they've been a dream for taking it easy.

Yes they're big and somewhat of a heavy ride but once again, that ZoomX foam is something else. They've been the perfect shoe to bop along in as I'm slowly building up post-Covid. I think I've done about 100 miles in them so far and I can see them taking me through this next month or so of base mileage without any grumbles. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here