Official Running Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Looking at some other runners I follow on Strava they’re already up to 900 or just below which seems an astonishing amount.

Good 500 this year from you and you’re on good form.
I hardly look at the Arena Strava table as far too demoralising. On Tuesday one had a few hours spare and trotted off a 30 mile run. Luke Carter, who you follow, is ridiculous and is on 975 miles for 2020 and also does daily yoga, Pilates, and swimming pool running when open.
Haven’t they got a sofa and NSC?

Edit. I see [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] has 875 up to yesterday. :clap2:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I passed 500 miles for the year earlier this week with a beautiful sunset run up to the Dyke and back.

Looking at some other runners I follow on Strava they’re already up to 900 or just below which seems an astonishing amount.

Pace session Saturday and then a proper long run Sunday on what should be marathon day. The weather typically looks brilliant for running.

Fantastic volume for the year so far! :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've scraped into the 500 club this week..............having missed 3 weeks in Jan I'm quite happy - consistently doing 35-40mpw now with a decent mix of sessions without doing anything long

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Good 500 this year from you and you’re on good form.
I hardly look at the Arena Strava table as far too demoralising. On Tuesday one had a few hours spare and trotted off a 30 mile run. Luke Carter, who you follow, is ridiculous and is on 975 miles for 2020 and also does daily yoga, Pilates, and swimming pool running when open.
Haven’t they got a sofa and NSC?

Edit. I see [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] has 875 up to yesterday. :clap2:

Thanks Gaffer :smile:

Feeling in a nice flow at the moment. Nothing too serious or silly in terms of intensity or distance, just really enjoying getting out every day and keeping up with some decent volume since the postponement of London. I mentioned to a work colleague on Strava this morning that I'm just trying to make the best of a bad situation as I love running.

Not having to commute into London every morning has freed up the mornings to get out for a run before I start my day working from home, and I have no excuses in terms of not having time to rest, recover and stretch daily while we're in lockdown. The legs are feeling good absorbing the volume. I guess this must be a bit like what the elites do? Eat, sleep, run, repeat :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm at 459 miles for the year, so should go through 500 next week.

January - 30
February - 142
March - 182
April - 10t6 and counting.

After hitting 50 miles last week and feeling a bit weary, I was making this a recovery week but as part of "Run 5, Donate 5, Nominate 5" a couple of days ago I equalled my 5km PB of 20:14 set last week. Given the amount of times I swerved onto roads and grass verges to be socially distanced, I reckon I would have broken 20 minutes with a clear run.

77 days of running in a row now too, and I'm watching the sky to get out today, although it might make a nice change to run in the rain!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Would like to see the course and if he ran this in intervals. Not saying he hasn’t done it but seems unbelievably quick for someone who mustn’t run distances like that too frequently and at that pace.

That is seriously rapid but not overly surprising. He's a 20 something elite athlete that is technically gifted at football. He's trained at a ridiculously high level for most of his life (when he's not injured) so I'd imagine his cardiovascular endurance would be excellent and he must have very strong biomechanics (he's built to run essentially). He's primed for power and speed.

I think I read that on average a player runs approx. 10 km in a match. Most of that is probably short explosive runs but aerobically they should be supremely conditioned.

Would love to see where this was done. A track maybe?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A few other 5k’s from players or ex players

Jesse Lingaard 18:29
George Williams 18:34
Russell Martin 19:19 (net downhill)
Jack Davies 19:50
James Tilley 20:04
Laurie Walker 20:56 (goalkeeper)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
New guidance is out :

Exercise - what is allowed:

Going for a run or cycle, practising yoga, walking in the countryside or in cities or attending an allotment
Driving to countryside and walking (where far more time is spent walking than driving)
Stopping to rest or to eat lunch while on a long walk
In some circumstances, exercising more than once per day

What isn't allowed:

Driving for a prolonged period with only brief exercise
A short walk to a park bench, when the person remains seated for a much longer period
It is clear from the guidelines that sitting or sunbathing in the park is not permitted, but having a rest during a workout is fine.

Police point out that exercise "must involve some movement".

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That is seriously rapid but not overly surprising. He's a 20 something elite athlete that is technically gifted at football. He's trained at a ridiculously high level for most of his life (when he's not injured) so I'd imagine his cardiovascular endurance would be excellent and he must have very strong biomechanics (he's built to run essentially). He's primed for power and speed.

I think I read that on average a player runs approx. 10 km in a match. Most of that is probably short explosive runs but aerobically they should be supremely conditioned.

100% agree - times like this shouldn't be overly surprising for full-time professional athletes at or around their peak fitness age. Most footballers should logically be at least competing with very good club athletes. He'd still get beaten at Hove Park/Prom now and again by local clubbies.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
A few other 5k’s from players or ex players

Jesse Lingaard 18:29
George Williams 18:34
Russell Martin 19:19 (net downhill)
Jack Davies 19:50
James Tilley 20:04
Laurie Walker 20:56 (goalkeeper)

Wow I'm really shocked by all those times! An 18:29 from Jesse Lingard is pretty poor really. Maybe when he was much younger?!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

There is a stewards enquiry into this. Elapsed time 23 minutes. Just found the Strava Wankers Twitter Feed it’s brilliant.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would have thought the vast majority (90%?) of current Premier League footballers (goalkeepers included) would be able to run 5km in under 18 minutes quite comfortably. I'd give Glenn a pass though, and maybe Pascal :lolol:

I think it was [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] who asked (?) Bruno who the fastest was a while back and he instantly said it was Pascal............

Muzza did 19.04 which is OK (I'd still beat him on AG :lolol::lolol:), which does put people like Lingard to shame a bit really.

Stockdale was doing about 25 minutes when he went through a spell of posting his runs on twitter - he was fit then as well !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports