Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Morning all. I've definitely asked this before but I'm now pretty set on buying a running watch.

Wants:
Music storage
Accurate GPS.

That's it. Any good budget options, don't really want to spend more than a 100/120 quid really, as I'm not asking for all the bells and whistles. Will go higher if necessary.

The review sites are just confusing me.

Cheers.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Dusted off my running shoes for this 5k NHS challenge that's been doing the rounds on Instagram/social media. Took to the woods as there's more space around chez Grombelton than when I lived in Littlehampton.

Things i've noticed:

- Running on trails (as opposed to road/promenade when i ran semi-regularly) is much harder
- I'm definitely slower and heavier than I was 5 or so years ago
- I feel a lot better for it.

Question for the more seasoned runners: The first 2k i struggled for breathing rhythm and found myself short of breath a few times, but by the 3-5k mark i'd got it. Is this simply down to practice and needing to run more often, or is there something I can do to get into the rhythm earlier and not feel like i'm a flailing 16st lump comparable to the Gruffalo.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Morning all. I've definitely asked this before but I'm now pretty set on buying a running watch.

Wants:
Music storage
Accurate GPS.

That's it. Any good budget options, don't really want to spend more than a 100/120 quid really, as I'm not asking for all the bells and whistles. Will go higher if necessary.

The review sites are just confusing me.

Cheers.

Garmin35 is on budget but I think it only picks up and controls music from your phone. I’m still shocked that it tells me when I get text messages on my telling bone. Pure magic even if my phone alerts me anyway.

Dusted off my running shoes for this 5k NHS challenge that's been doing the rounds on Instagram/social media. Took to the woods as there's more space around chez Grombelton than when I lived in Littlehampton.

Things i've noticed:

- Running on trails (as opposed to road/promenade when i ran semi-regularly) is much harder

Question for the more seasoned runners: The first 2k i struggled for breathing rhythm and found myself short of breath a few times, but by the 3-5k mark i'd got it. Is this simply down to practice and needing to run more often, or is there something I can do to get into the rhythm earlier and not feel like i'm a flailing 16st lump comparable to the Gruffalo.

Good sign that you improve as you go along. Maybe you need to either warm up first, start at a slower pace or if time is an issue just accept the initial w*nk noises.

Well done for the NHS 5k!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Things i've noticed:

How was your pacing? Did you start too quick? And was the route uphill to begin with? All might have a bearing.

I know when I first started out often the first mile was the hardest so keep persevering and your breathing will get a lot easier.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Garmin35 is on budget but I think it only picks up and controls music from your phone. I’m still shocked that it tells me when I get text messages on my telling bone. Pure magic even if my phone alerts me anyway.

Good sign that you improve as you go along. Maybe you need to either warm up first, start at a slower pace or if time is an issue just accept the initial w*nk noises.

Well done for the NHS 5k!

Thanks for that. Looks like if you want to store music on the device you have to pay out. Not against taking my phone so may go for the 35.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Things i've noticed:

Great stuff

Running on trails feels harder, and you'll definitely be slower than on tarmac, but it's MUCH better for your joints, muscles etc. Greater proprioception, less repetitive, more rounded workout and much faster recovery............

Re the first couple of ks, we all feel like that really (well I do anyway - first half mile at least always results in breathing all over the place etc). As you do more, that 2k will become shorter and you'll get into a rhythm more quickly - but in any case if you were looking to do a proper 5k time trial you should absolutely do a couple of km to warm up first, ideally including a few plyometric things (heel flicks, strides, lunges etc).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Things i've noticed:

Good work. Trails can be harder to run on, but I've had some stretches off road that have amazed me, time-wise. Sometimes you just seem to bounce along, when it's softer underfoot.

The 3-5k thing at the start is pretty normal, I reckon. I have the same thing (being half asleep at 5:50/6am might be something to do with it), but a downhill at the start of my runs normally saves me. Once I'm a mile or so into it, I'm fully in my stride (in every sense!).

I've got slower as I've got older (with the odd exception). A FB memory popped up today reminding me that I was disappointed with a sub-4 time from BM 2013. I would kill for that sort of time these days. In reality, on Saturday I was struggling through a half along the SDW to Devil's Dyke and back in 2:06.Excess food intake doesn't help!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Thanks for the advice and kind words all, much appreciated!

I guess I just need to prepare a bit better too - tbf I didn't really warm up and went out on a bit of a whim, as I considered it and thought '**** it, i'll do it now' as opposed to waiting and losing enthusiasm. I'll be trying a bit more over the coming weeks - My first aim is a sub 30min 5k - this run has shown me i have a LONG way to go, but if i dont try I won't manage it!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agree with my learned friends [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - in the early stages of a run, particularly on trails, I can feel pretty knackered very quickly to the point that if I didn't know I am capable of running for miles and miles, I'd stop there and then.

Also agree with pacing - I'm a LOT slower on trails and certainly don't make up for slow uphill slogs with the downhill coasts to get anywhere near a road pace for the same distance. It's a different kind of running completely. I enjoy both and alternate them frequently.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...I’m no quicker even if I have someone chasing me with a massive stick as I had today on a hilly seven-miles of trails!

ee500903db9c74e8387d3c67d2e501bf.jpg

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Am planning on an evening run, my first for 5 days or so due to my knee. Will pay focus to technique and won’t go to hard or fast to make sure I don’t just make it worse. I’m running on trails which should be better in regards to impact, but I wonder if the fact it’s not even ground could cause issues?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Am planning on an evening run, my first for 5 days or so due to my knee. Will pay focus to technique and won’t go to hard or fast to make sure I don’t just make it worse. I’m running on trails which should be better in regards to impact, but I wonder if the fact it’s not even ground could cause issues?

It shouldn't - the fact you're spreading the impact over a wider range of muscles should help. Just watch out for stones, tree roots, dogshit, rabbit holes, wild animals................etc :smile:

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
It shouldn't - the fact you're spreading the impact over a wider range of muscles should help. Just watch out for stones, tree roots, dogshit, rabbit holes, wild animals................etc :smile:

I’ll do my best! Yeah that makes sense to me, just trying to work out what it could be. No problems bending the knee, but when running, and for a short while afterward I get a 3/10 pain on the inside of the knee. Weirdly the pain gets better the further I run and start opening up with a bit of speed, and seems to also fare better going uphill.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I have dodgy knee and usually stuck to tarmac (perhaps that's why I've got a dodgy knee). The other day I ran 10K over parkland (a tad uneven) and suffered badly. This could have been just the 10K rather than the terrain - but it did make me wonder.
Will be interested to hear your outcome and hope it will be better than mine.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’ll do my best! Yeah that makes sense to me, just trying to work out what it could be. No problems bending the knee, but when running, and for a short while afterward I get a 3/10 pain on the inside of the knee. Weirdly the pain gets better the further I run and start opening up with a bit of speed, and seems to also fare better going uphill.

Sounds like medial knee ligament. Icing after really helps. Downhill running hurts. Are you putting your toes down first to compensate because it is difficult to straighten that leg (fully) without pain?

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Sounds like medial knee ligament. Icing after really helps. Downhill running hurts. Are you putting your toes down first to compensate because it is difficult to straighten that leg (fully) without pain?

Didn’t really get so far today, maybe 2k before having to stop as the pain began again. Wasn’t so painful that I necessarily had to stop, but thought there was no point pushing it and risking further injury. I don’t think I’m doing that, and today I really concentrated on my form, but to no avail. Unfortunately nows not the time to be visiting the doctors, and self diagnosing online is never advisable! Also wondering how big an effect shoes make. Mine are some cheap £20/30 pair which i had only previously used for the gym and a small amount of treadmill work.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Didn’t really get so far today, maybe 2k before having to stop as the pain began again. Wasn’t so painful that I necessarily had to stop, but thought there was no point pushing it and risking further injury. I don’t think I’m doing that, and today I really concentrated on my form, but to no avail. Unfortunately nows not the time to be visiting the doctors, and self diagnosing online is never advisable! Also wondering how big an effect shoes make. Mine are some cheap £20/30 pair which i had only previously used for the gym and a small amount of treadmill work.

Very wise to stop. I have a stretch for knee pain which may help/may not and you could try.
Stop immediately if it gives the slightest of pain in the knee. Lie on floor facedown. Grab foot under ankle and Bring ankle up to touch the bum. Hold 10-30 secs feeling stretch in thighs. Do both sides.

Worth changing shoes but don’t run with a sore knee. Good luck.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Very wise to stop. I have a stretch for knee pain which may help/may not and you could try.
Stop immediately if it gives the slightest of pain in the knee. Lie on floor facedown. Grab foot under ankle and Bring ankle up to touch the bum. Hold 10-30 secs feeling stretch in thighs. Do both sides.

Worth changing shoes but don’t run with a sore knee. Good luck.

Will give that one a go. I’m going to take a complete week off, and keep some ice on the knee if and when it doesn’t feel right. Will try and sort out some new shoes too. Hopefully the combinations rest and better cushioning will put me back on track. Thanks for the advice

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Will give that one a go. I’m going to take a complete week off, and keep some ice on the knee if and when it doesn’t feel right. Will try and sort out some new shoes too. Hopefully the combinations rest and better cushioning will put me back on track. Thanks for the advice

Could be your IT Band. Glute strengthening becomes massively important as does a decent and not over worn pair of running shoes.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ran 10 slow miles Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. That is more than I ran in the preceding 6 weeks.
Hove seafront has lost the huge influx of runners this week. I put it down to lockdown coninciding with early Spring weather, newbies losing momentum, injuries, colder weather and fed up with being chased by a Knocky old man.

Apart from not being able to walk down the stairs first thing in the morning it’s good to be back. Have lost less fitness than I expected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here