Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It is quite something isn't it?

Does anyone else use the "View Flybys" thing on the Strava desktop site? If you haven't, it shows you people who were running/riding in the same area of you at the same time. It's useful if you see another runner out and wonder "who are they / what route were they running / how fast were they going?".

Usually when and where I run, I'd only see a small handful of other folk out in the same area on a Flyby, whereas now every time I open it up for a run, there is a massive list of others. It's quite telling.

Yes - I'd have thought where you run you'd be pretty much on your own even now. I tend to stick to the mean streets of Offington/Durrington area and it's, well, a different sort of epidemic. Long may it continue.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Notched up my fourth successive notparkrun first place this morning (are you watching [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]). Dominated the field from the off, leaving Mrs Simgull to come in a distant second place (but first female again).

Managed a pb of 22:06 - is all the Joe Wicks HIIT paying off?

As I have also passed another birthday I need to check my AG. Can you post the link again please [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION].

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes - I'd have thought where you run you'd be pretty much on your own even now. I tend to stick to the mean streets of Offington/Durrington area and it's, well, a different sort of epidemic. Long may it continue.

Durrington and Offington feature quite heavily for me, particularly in my 5-8 mile road runs, as you can see from the 6-miler I’ve just done: https://strava.app.link/xvoNcmXbB5

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I done a 24.38 'virtual parkrun' today, fastest since November, on Day 26 of my CoronaStreak.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
There's a bit of an irony here. While thousands of runners of all shapes and sizes are flooding the streets (and I've never seen anything like it).

Yes, I'm one of those who has moved from other sports to try a bit of running. I typically would ride my bike most days and play squash each week. The reality is I need to ride my bike for ages to feel I'm getting a proper workout, but a 30 minute run and I'm done!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Interesting seeing people do @Run5k4NHS thing......this is the first Albion player I’ve seen post it.

https://twitter.com/jtilley_98/status/1248641730443980805?s=21

Strava UK are also fundraising for the NHS.

Donate a minimum of £5 and join the challenge of 2 hours worth of activity over 12 days to receive an 'NHS Active' badge in your Strava trophy case.

Here's the challenge link: https://www.strava.com/challenges/1729

Justgiving donation page - https://justgiving.com/fundraising/strava-uk

Over £276,000 raised so far :clap2:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Notched up my fourth successive notparkrun first place this morning (are you watching [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]). Dominated the field from the off, leaving Mrs Simgull to come in a distant second place (but first female again).

Managed a pb of 22:06 - is all the Joe Wicks HIIT paying off?

As I have also passed another birthday I need to check my AG. Can you post the link again please [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION].

Good going. http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html let us know what %age it produces.

I better get running again #lestBedgeburybeinvain

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Durrington and Offington feature quite heavily for me, particularly in my 5-8 mile road runs, as you can see from the 6-miler I’ve just done: https://strava.app.link/xvoNcmXbB5

Ah - very much my manor (as they used to say in Minder).

Another coincidence: our distance and pace today were just about identical. But I suspect you weren't as wrecked as me afterwards.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just completed my first 50 mile week with a half-marathon this morning, which was also a decent PB (1:46:31 -> 1:41:37). Delighted with the time, averaging 7:45/mile as the last time I put some effort in on a 13.1 I tried to hold 8:00 miles, but ran out of juice in the last three miles. Looking at my splits, my final mile, which is all uphill, was my fastest too.

I timed leaving home at 5:30, which got me to the seafront just ahead of sunrise, so I could watch the sun come up as I ran East, before looping back to get home around 7:15 ahead of most of the sun-seekers. A truly stunning morning to be out, and I'm very much not an early morning runner!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another rescue from page 2 but this time with a 10m slow run report where I lost my usual discipline.

Decided on a steady, strengthening, hilly slog from Hove seafront up to 5 Ways and up the Ditchling Road above Hollingbury. Nice and quiet, warm but cool breeze. Glad the body has still got some energy in it.
All was very relaxed until nearly home jogging downhill @9" milepace to Five Ways a 30 year old joined my route at the same pace but after having a look at me decided to go in front. His social distancing was perfectly executed but he'd made a big mistake probably based on my age. A quick look at his calves revealed a pair of white flabby nothingness. A lack of respect here!

I gave him 20m lead and then slowly upped the pace bit by bit. He wasn't having it. So from 8:30 pace I showed my cards and moved into the road to give a Steve Ovett relaxed kick to 6:00 mile pace and saw him off before the steep hill ran out.
God I miss Parkrun................

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Nice 10 miler in the sun for me where I easily negotiated my way past the 2 people,1 dog a couple of cyclists along the route without breaking the 2m boundary rules.

Wasn’t BM next weekend? Still disappointed it’s not on but predictable 21 degrees would have made it a tough day.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Another rescue from page 2 but this time with a 10m slow run report where I lost my usual discipline.

Decided on a steady, strengthening, hilly slog from Hove seafront up to 5 Ways and up the Ditchling Road above Hollingbury. Nice and quiet, warm but cool breeze. Glad the body has still got some energy in it.
All was very relaxed until nearly home jogging downhill @9" milepace to Five Ways a 30 year old joined my route at the same pace but after having a look at me decided to go in front. His social distancing was perfectly executed but he'd made a big mistake probably based on my age. A quick look at his calves revealed a pair of white flabby nothingness. A lack of respect here!

I gave him 20m lead and then slowly upped the pace bit by bit. He wasn't having it. So from 8:30 pace I showed my cards and moved into the road to give a Steve Ovett* relaxed kick to 6:00 mile pace and saw him off before the steep hill ran out.
God I miss Parkrun................

Once a racer...…………………You are a thoroughbred through and through.

On the Steve Ovett reference I checked on your claim to have beaten his record set when he was a young schoolboy. Not that I for one minute doubted this. And, as expected, the record books duly confirm. What they don't mention is that you were 22 at the time. :smile:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Once a racer...…………………You are a thoroughbred through and through.

On the Steve Ovett reference I checked on your claim to have beaten his record set when he was a young schoolboy. Not that I for one minute doubted this. And, as expected, the record books duly confirm. What they don't mention is that you were 22 at the time. :smile:

Haha they called me Rodney on the start line....now they call me Victor Meldrew.
I can't find any evidence either, so I think the myth is safe.
It's not my fault that Ovett didn't set Withdean on fire at 11years old in 1966 or 1967. When Hove Library reopens I'll go and read the old school magazine. I set my lifetime 400m PB at 11. 800m and 1500m PBs at 13. They put me in the Sussex U-15s training squad and I was so useless I became demoralised and gave up running. Had a good time without it until I started again at 36.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Haha they called me Rodney on the start line....now they call me Victor Meldrew.
I can't find any evidence either, so I think the myth is safe.
It's not my fault that Ovett didn't set Withdean on fire at 11years old in 1966 or 1967. When Hove Library reopens I'll go and read the old school magazine. I set my lifetime 400m PB at 11. 800m and 1500m PBs at 13. They put me in the Sussex U-15s training squad and I was so useless I became demoralised and gave up running. Had a good time without it until I started again at 36.

Impressive. And I don't want to trump your ace but my own CV features the achievement of being drafted into the Under 15s Southern England squad for the 'All England American Hard Gum Eating Championships' of 1970.
I got a bronze - but was nailed on for a silver until my jaw dislocated in the semis*.

*in other words I was a fat little git!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
After my 3 week taper with limited mileage, massive carb loading and massive sugar loading I’m ready to go.
In celebration of Brighton Marathon week I’ll battle through my seasonal BM hay fever and aim for a 50 mile week. It will be up to a third slower than Bozza pace from last week but the emphasis will be on accumulation.
If I avoid injury I’ll then be ready for the Big Nuts mile challenge training.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
After my 3 week taper with limited mileage, massive carb loading and massive sugar loading I’m ready to go.
In celebration of Brighton Marathon week I’ll battle through my seasonal BM hay fever and aim for a 50 mile week. It will be up to a third slower than Bozza pace from last week but the emphasis will be on accumulation.
If I avoid injury I’ll then be ready for the Big Nuts mile challenge training.

Good to hear this. But from not-very-many to 50 in a week is quite a hike?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good to hear this. But from not-very-many to 50 in a week is quite a hike?

You are absolutely right and the pain in my right calf is testament to that. Should be OK with some work with the roller.

10m completed today. Aimed at a steady 10" pace but discipline went yet again when I should have been cooling down. This time a Budapest Marathon T-shirt decided to pick me off and sit in front. Everytime I got parallel on the lawns he'd sprint away. It only required getting near 7" pace to see him off. As you hide from Strava I'll let you see my 10:39 mile at mile 4. https://www.strava.com/activities/3292900490

So upping the distance too fast and not sticking to the training plan. I'm enjoying running again! 20 slow miles in the next 4 days will set me up for the weekend.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
You are absolutely right and the pain in my right calf is testament to that. Should be OK with some work with the roller.

10m completed today. Aimed at a steady 10" pace but discipline went yet again when I should have been cooling down. This time a Budapest Marathon T-shirt decided to pick me off and sit in front. Everytime I got parallel on the lawns he'd sprint away. It only required getting near 7" pace to see him off. As you hide from Strava I'll let you see my 10:39 mile at mile 4. https://www.strava.com/activities/3292900490

So upping the distance too fast and not sticking to the training plan. I'm enjoying running again! 20 slow miles in the next 4 days will set me up for the weekend.

Was it a light blue Budapest top? Suspect it will be one of group who went if so?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Nice 10 miler in the sun for me where I easily negotiated my way past the 2 people,1 dog a couple of cyclists along the route without breaking the 2m boundary rules.

Wasn’t BM next weekend? Still disappointed it’s not on but predictable 21 degrees would have made it a tough day.

Yes, it's sad to see all these race weekends coming and going. I should have been doing Boston next Monday and the current forecast is for perfect marathon weather - high of 11C, chance of a small shower, light breeze.

I went for a couple of good runs over the weekend (I'm working today as it's only a holiday for public workers and banks). Friday I did a 15k, heading down to the former brickworks where they normally hold a beer festival on Good Friday. Obviously that wasn't happening but it's still a nice place to run with some trails leading down there.

Yesterday I did a 16k run, sticking to trails almost the whole way. There's some really nice trails around and it feels like you're getting out of the city. Most of them are wide, so even though I saw quite a few people it wasn't difficult to keep at least 2m away from them. I'm slowly starting to find the best running routes for social distancing. It's not just about being able to keep my distance but also it's hard to enjoy runs and get into a rhythm when you're constantly weaving around and stepping into the road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here