Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Official NSC Dog Bore Thread

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I had a husky go for me today walking along the pavement luckily the owner had a tight hold of its lead it really made me pull away with such force that I pulled a muscle in my shoulder , the owner with out turn said sorry about that blood and just kept walking, strange world we inhabit and it’s getting stranger by the day

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
For a bit of fun I asked Bing Image Creator to draw a caricature of my dogs. Think AI did a pretty good job!

IMG_2412.jpeg
IMG_1977.jpeg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I had a husky go for me today walking along the pavement luckily the owner had a tight hold of its lead it really made me pull away with such force that I pulled a muscle in my shoulder , the owner with out turn said sorry about that blood and just kept walking, strange world we inhabit and it’s getting stranger by the day
Try not to worry about it too much; some people 'get' dogs and others don't.

I was in bed last night and halfway through pulling off my boxers, when my girlfriend walked in and said, "I think you indulge those dogs too much." :shrug:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Does anyone have, or has anyone in this thread ever had a Bernese Mountain Dog? They look utterly incredible and I think we will likely get a dog or two in years to come, but I'm guessing there might be some issues/difficulties with having a dog that BIG?

Look at the size of em

View attachment 173579
We had always had labradors but my soft wife, when chatting to a guy who runs a local kennels, was introduced to Java - who he was housing for a local dog rescue charity(this was early November 2022). Needless to say by just over a month later Java was with us. She had originally been rescued from a house and was in a very poor state - had been cared for by this local kennels, adopted by another woman, then given back etc.
She appears to be part Bernese Mountain Dog and part St Bernard and will be 10 in May according to her Microchip but it’s all a bit of a mystery to be honest.
She is absolutely gorgeous.
Great with the grandchildren and very attached to me(especially) and Mrs Corner. Literally glues herself to you at times.
She does shed a lot and needs regular grooming and yes she’s very big - but a beautiful dog.

Attachments

• ecbb2cd0-cf35-46fc-9839-9d4adaacf9a2.jpeg
    ecbb2cd0-cf35-46fc-9839-9d4adaacf9a2.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 59

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We had always had labradors but my soft wife, when chatting to a guy who runs a local kennels, was introduced to Java - who he was housing for a local dog rescue charity(this was early November 2022). Needless to say by just over a month later Java was with us. She had originally been rescued from a house and was in a very poor state - had been cared for by this local kennels, adopted by another woman, then given back etc.
She appears to be part Bernese Mountain Dog and part St Bernard and will be 10 in May according to her Microchip but it’s all a bit of a mystery to be honest.
She is absolutely gorgeous.
Great with the grandchildren and very attached to me(especially) and Mrs Corner. Literally glues herself to you at times.
She does shed a lot and needs regular grooming and yes she’s very big - but a beautiful dog.

How do people manage to treat such beautiful animals so poorly, I will never understand.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I did a stint at PDSA head office a few years back and attended a couple of their after-work workshops.

One of my take-away learnings was: when a dog is uncomfortable / anxious / stressed, it will lick it's lips [not to be mistaken for feeding time obvs].
It can be used as an early warning sign before a dog may go on to snap or bite.
I've now used this many times and it can be very useful dog body-language to be aware of.

I've also just signed up to be a "respite fosterer" with Guide Dogs for the Blind - awaiting training & home inspection

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Anyone know if there is s vet in Brighton area who does all the necessary health checks and paper work for taking a dog to Europe. Nearest i can find is in Havant

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Anyone know if there is s vet in Brighton area who does all the necessary health checks and paper work for taking a dog to Europe. Nearest i can find is in Havant
Most of the vets do it I think. i’m in Shoreham and our Vet in Southwick quoted c £200 to do the forms for us in 2022! We were recommended a vet in Havant (may be the same one?) who charged around £125 then if we filled in the forms and they checked them and slightly lower this year as we had used them before. Be interested to know if you find anything comparable in the area. A great benefit of Brexit …..

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
You also have to take your dog to a local vet for worming tablets I think within 3 days or so before you return to the Uk. The vet we go to in France charged us about 25-30 Euros for that (excluding cheese)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Devastated doesn’t cover it.

Confirmed today that Thursday next week, our old girl Misty, a Jack Russell cross will be going to the vet, and not coming back.

One of those “kindest things you can do” type decisions. She’s 16, pretty much blind & deaf, has lost all house training and has been showing signs of dog dementia.

I can’t look her in the face right now. God knows how I’m going to get through Thursday.

misty.jpg

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Devastated doesn’t cover it.

Confirmed today that Thursday next week, our old girl Misty, a Jack Russell cross will be going to the vet, and not coming back.

One of those “kindest things you can do” type decisions. She’s 16, pretty much blind & deaf, has lost all house training and has been showing signs of dog dementia.

I can’t look her in the face right now. God knows how I’m going to get through Thursday.

View attachment 174511
You will because you know it’s the kindest thing to do. You have no choice and it would be cruel to keep her going.

You’ve been a great dad, friend, companion, etc and have 16 years of happy and funny memories. I feel for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here