Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***** Official NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread 2013 *****

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
San Jose beat LA on Saturday night in overtime to get one back in the series now LA 2 SJ 1

Last night Boston won 5-2 at home to New York and now lead 2-0 and

Ottawa won 2-1 in overtime to also get back in the series now Pittsburg 2 Ottawa 1

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Did anyone see the Ottawa game? They equalised short-handed with just 29 secs left in the game. They then won it in the 2nd period of overtime.

Last night Detroit beat Chicago 3-1 to take a 2-1 lead in the series.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Sharks looking dangerous in the West. Hawks in tough against Detroit. Not sure of the outcome of that. I'd have thought Chicago would be too strong for a Detroit team that limped into the postseason.

Bruins all over the Rangers last night. King Henrik was immense. The scoreline should have read 6-1 not 2-1. Like I thought, the only chance NY had in this series was if he managed to steal them 4 games. They just aren't good enough to compete with the top teams in the East. Nash has 1 goal in 10 games. Richards is centering the 4th line. Not good enough. Sorry Ranger fans.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Update from last nights games

In the Eastern Conference

Pittsburgh Penguins 1 v Ottawa Senators 2
Series (2-1)

Boston Bruins 2 v New York Rangers 1
Series (3-0)

And in the West

Chicago Blackhawks 1 v Detroit Red Wings 3
Series (1-2)

LA Kings 1 v San Jose Sharks 2
Series (2-2)

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Boston has great depth. Four lines that can all play and depth on D. 3 starters out and still hasn't hampered them. Krug has been a revelation these playoffs.

This is reminiscent of the 2011 Bruins playoff run: tight 7 game series in round 1, blowout in round 2. They've got the look again.

LA v Boston would be something but I'm not so sure that LA will beat the Sharks. Might be the year San Jose finally breaks their Conference Finals jinx.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Battered and bruised but the Rangers remain alive in the series with a 4-3 victory in overtime in the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] game at MSG.

It was a do-or-die game for Rangers with the winning goal by Chris Kreider with a deft assist from Rick Nash.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Yup Boston now lead 3-1, the comeback is on. In last nights other games, LA Kings beat San Jose 3-0 to take a 3-2 series lead and Detroit won 2-0 at home to Chicago and now also lead the series 3-1. Chicago won the Western conference by 11 and were 21 points ahead of Detroit but this is play off hockey, the regular season counts for nothing.

So overall picture looks like this

In the Eastern Conference

Pittsburgh Penguins 7 v Ottawa Senators 3
Series (3-1)

Boston Bruins 3 v New York Rangers 4
Series (3-1)

And in the West

Chicago Blackhawks 0 v Detroit Red Wings 2
Series (1-3)

LA Kings 3 v San Jose Sharks 0
Series (3-2)

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Much better teams than the '13 Rangers have tried and failed to come back from 0-3 down. I don't expect this to go past game 5.

I stand by my earlier comments when I said that this isn't a very good team. They lack scoring upfront, forward depth and rely exclusively on an all-world goalie to win them games. Plus the system that Tortorella likes to employ is ridiculous in today's game. This narrow, shot-blocking, 5-men down low style of play is far too difficult to maintain throughout a gruelling season and 2 months of playoffs. There are times when it looks like Boston is on the PP when they are 5-on-5. NY has no one high on the point and typically have 3 men across the goal line. Players are too quick and skilled nowadays to be given the amount of time with the puck that you get when you play against NY. It is the hockey equivalent of "parking the bus" and it is ultimately going to cost Tortorella his job. That and the fact that he publicly humiliates his players and is a complete assclown doesn't help his cause either.

Chicago falling apart is a huge surprise. Detroit limped into the playoffs while Chicago won 7 of 10. Detroit matches up well against the Hawks, but could find themselves in a whole heap of trouble if they face LA in the Conference Finals. They will have no answer for the Kings' physicality. San Jose could be an better matchup for Detroit.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Pittsburgh powered into the conference final with a 6-2 bashing of Ottawa giving them a 4-1 series win. They will play Boston or New York.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
With the Eastern conference all sorted our attention turns to the West. St Louis win 2-1 at home to take the series to a 7th game and Chicago win 4-3 in Detroit to do the same.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
^ San Jose.

Detroit amazes me. I can't believe their playoff appearance record over the past 20+ years. This Red Wing team isn't very good and here they are putting the irons to the Presidents Trophy winners. Good comeback by the Hawks. You would have to fancy Chicago's chances in a home game 7. Great arena, loud fans. That'll be great for them.

Pittsburgh v Boston is what most expected. Not sure how this will go. Question marks in goal for Pit that is for sure. Is Boston's depth enough to win in a 7 game series? Or do Pittsburgh's top 6 forwards blow away the Bruins? Should be a great series.

Kings - Sharks has been entertaining. This might be the year that San Jose's perennial playoff underachievers get over that hump. LA at home will be very difficult. Home team has won every game this series. Close series this one.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
LA Kings keep up the home win sequence as they beat St Louis 2-1 to advance to the Western Conference final for the second year in succession.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
LA Kings keep up the home win sequence as they beat San Jose 2-1 to advance to the Western Conference final for the second year in succession.

Kings v Hawks would be a great WCF. Detroit less so.

Chicago - Pittsburgh is the marquee matchup but a lot of people enjoy Original Six SCF. Chicago - Boston is one of those that have the potential to be a classic final.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That was less Boston v New York and more Boston vs Lundqvist.

Tortorella does not deserve another season at the MSG helm. His recent tactics are always going to fall short in a tough best of seven series.

The decline of Brad Richards has also been pretty sad to see. Rick Nash was championed as the icing on the cake for the Rangers but came up woefully short in the play offs.

Stop giving people big money to skate out their careers on Broadway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here