Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***** Official NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread 2013 *****

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Surprised to see the Rangers win.

I don’t see why. The Rangers fully deserve their victory, they played to their strengths and Lundqvist was massive in goal. It’s all about believing in yourself – and the Rangers did.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Couldn't get on yesterday some sort of virus on NSC but here's my update ...

Rangers thrash Caps in Washington and Leafs lose it OT despite being 4-1 up in the third and 4-2 up with 1:43 to go!!
Boston Bruins 5 v Toronto Maple Leafs 4
Series (4-3)
Washington Capitals 0 v New York Rangers 5
Series (3-4)
So the semi-finals look like this

In the Eastern Conference
Pittsburgh Penguins v Ottawa Senators
Series (0-0)

Boston Bruins v New York Rangers
Series (0-0)

And in the West

Chicago Blackhawks v Detroit Red Wings
Series (0-0)

LA Kings v San Jose Sharks
Series (0-0)

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
And with the first games played last night here is the current picture ...

Pittsburgh Penguins 4 v Ottawa Senators 1
Series (1-0)

Boston Bruins v New York Rangers
Series (0-0)

And in the West

Chicago Blackhawks v Detroit Red Wings
Series (0-0)

LA Kings 2 v San Jose Sharks 0
Series (1-0)

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
I don’t see why. The Rangers fully deserve their victory, they played to their strengths and Lundqvist was massive in goal. It’s all about believing in yourself – and the Rangers did.

Because outside of their goalie, they're not very good. Saving grace for them is that they were the 6th seed and in the Eastern Conference that is usually the plum draw.

The comment was in relation to the series, not the just 7th game.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Because outside of their goalie, they're not very good. Saving grace for them is that they were the 6th seed and in the Eastern Conference that is usually the plum draw.

The comment was in relation to the series, not the just 7th game.

Defensively they are superb - and not just Lundqvist. Ryan McDonagh is a huge talent and did a great job against Ovechkin's line. Girardi is good as well.

Nash and Richards are both quality players in attack but definitely need to up their game significantly though.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Nash's ego is preventing him from being as dominant as he should be. Brad Richards' best days are well behind him (2004). This is what usually happens to guys when they go to Manhattan. They get the big contracts and they cease to be the players they once were, and the list is very long.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Nash's ego is preventing him from being as dominant as he should be. Brad Richards' best days are well behind him (2004). This is what usually happens to guys when they go to Manhattan. They get the big contracts and they cease to be the players they once were, and the list is very long.

True. There are not enough attacking players matching the ability and consistency of the defensive lines.

I also think not giving Brandon Prust a better deal was a mistake. He might not have been a big scorer but he epitmosied everything which was good about the Rangers last season.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
True. There are not enough attacking players matching the ability and consistency of the defensive lines.

I also think not giving Brandon Prust a better deal was a mistake. He might not have been a big scorer but he epitmosied everything which was good about the Rangers last season.

Prust used to ply his trade in Calgary where he was a fixture on the 4th line. He used to have this epic rivalry with Zack Stortini (aka Huggy Bear) with the Edmonton Oilers. Problem with Prust is that guys like him are a "dime a dozen" in today's NHL. You don't have to fork out much cash for their services initially and when it comes to re-signing the player you will usually have many options to choose from and can sign them for next to nothing.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Prust used to ply his trade in Calgary where he was a fixture on the 4th line. He used to have this epic rivalry with Zack Stortini (aka Huggy Bear) with the Edmonton Oilers. Problem with Prust is that guys like him are a "dime a dozen" in today's NHL. You don't have to fork out much cash for their services initially and when it comes to re-signing the player you will usually have many options to choose from and can sign them for next to nothing.

I am slightly bias as I love Prust and the way he plays hockey. Had his name on my NYR jersey and managed to interview him as well. Lovely, genuine bloke.

But you are right, his sort of player will never command big contracts when re-signing. But he HAS been missed by the Rangers.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Still hurting from Monday, seeing us lose then staying up to see the Leafs get absolutely spanked with less than 2 mins to go and then OT :(

I fully expect the Pengs to absolutely smash it this season, Sidney Crosby is an absolute beast of a player.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Rangers v Bruins will be WAR.

Just like the Old Days. There's a lot of history - like Palace. The Bruins knocked the Rangers out three out of four seasons including the '72 Final. Rangers fans regularly got into fights with Bruins fans in Boston. Lundqvist will give them the edge - Rangers in 7

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Can't see anyway the Rangers win this series other than Lundqvist stealing every game. Boston is big, fast, physical, and they have the most fearsome player in the League in Chara. The only weakness they have right now are potential injury concerns to Ference, Seidenberg and Redden. Other than that, they don't have much going against them. I'll be surprised if Boston doesn't steamroll New York. Very surprised.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Two games last night, Boston win in overtime again and LA Kings score two in 20 seconds in the last 2 minutes to beat San Jose.

State of play below

Pittsburgh Penguins 4 v Ottawa Senators 1
Series (1-0)

Boston Bruins 3 v New York Rangers 2
Series (1-0)

And in the West

Chicago Blackhawks 4 v Detroit Red Wings 1
Series (1-0)

LA Kings 4 v San Jose Sharks 3
Series (2-0)

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
One game last night, a Sydney Crosby hatrick helped Pittsburg to a 4-3 win over Ottawa. Pittsburg now lead the series 2-0.

Tonight Detroit beat Chicago 4-1 to level the series 1-1. LA Kings and San Jose play later.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Seem to recall Sidney Crosby was talked up as Canada's star player for the Winter Olympics ice hockey tournament last time round and he had a quiet tournament until the final when he scored the decisive goal. Something of a big game player it would seem.

As I have family over there, I used to look out for Calgary Flames' results, but it would appear they have long departed this year's competition.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Joe, my beloved Calgary Flames did not qualify for the playoffs, yet again. It is getting to be a bit depressing to be a Flames fan!

And yes you are right about Crosby. Right now he is by far the best player on the planet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here