NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Keeping this up to date

Daily Record: July 18th: "Registered an interest"
Daily Mail: McGowan: July 25th "will make £20m bid after qualifier"
Daily Record: Castles - July 27th "submitted a bid"
Daily Mail: McGowan - Aug 6th "Finally submitted a bid"
Daily Mail: McGowan - Aug 11th "hopes of quick Brighton deal have diminished"
*new* Scottish Sun: Alan Nixon - Aug 15th His wages are a bit rich as they now search elsewhere"

or just this for reference...
The Argus: July 24th: Brian Owen quoting club source on links "“Reports that keep emerging are completely false.”

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Have you seen anything concrete to suggest there is anything in this?

Dozens of articles in the Scottish press including some from journos close to Celtic. It’s very much in their favour to leak our interest (whilst completely in our benefit to keep our interest confidential).

Have you seen anything concrete to suggest there isn’t anything in this?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Dozens of articles in the Scottish press including some from journos close to Celtic. It’s very much in their favour to leak our interest (whilst completely in our benefit to keep our interest confidential).

Maybe Naylor continually saying nothing in it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The fact we haven't made a bid, nor have we signed the player.

If we were serious he'd be our player by now. I am sure both parties would have wanted a deal done before the season ended, especially in Celtics position

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

If we were serious he'd be our player by now. I am sure both parties would have wanted a deal done before the season ended, especially in Celtics position

I wouldnt be surprised if this is a final day of the transfer window deal tbh

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Celtic can see the clock ticking - if they want anywhere near £20m they HAVE to sell this transfer window. They desperately need more clubs to get involved - as you say, it's entirely in their interests to feed their local journalists (and others). If we're interested (big "if") there's not much point in jumping too high now....let it run...

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Celtic can see the clock ticking - if they want anywhere near £20m they HAVE to sell this transfer window. They desperately need more clubs to get involved - as you say, it's entirely in their interests to feed their local journalists (and others). If we're interested (big "if") there's not much point in jumping too high now....let it run...

if Celtic are looking for a bidding war then I would suggest we get this done asap.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Completely agree. I think that Nunez is our main target and we'll try to get this done if Benfica play ball. I would imagine that Edouard is a back up along with Nketiah. It's in the interests of a selling club to have the deal in the open especially when they do need to sell, as is the case here.
I imagine we may have enquired about both Edouard and Nketiah to get a feel for price but I doubt very much whether formal bids have been made at this point. Why would we when they aren't our primary target.
The situation with Cucurella is different as he has a buy out clause and if we meet it then it's down to the player and whether he wants to join or not.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

It’s not a ‘fact’ that we haven’t made a bid. The club don’t have to announce they’ve made one and Celtic don’t have to respond within a set time frame (unless a sunset clause is inserted into the official bid). It would be a fact of Celtic or BHA officially (and not through someone like Naylor) denied a bid had been made. Celtic could have responded to Albion that they’ll consider the bid when they have signed a replacement for example.

What’s clear is that the Albion play their transfers very close to their chests. If Naylor & Co. get info, it’s in the best interest of the transfer itself not transparency (which it should be). Mwepu is a great example of this. Our repeated failed attempts to sign the likes of Nunez as various clubs leaked our every move to their local journos is an example of how these things work if all sides don’t keep it quiet.

Celtic have almost signed Edouard’s replacement from a team and agent who can’t blackmail them with having Edouard’s £20m in the bank. Let’s see what happens after that, I pretty sure Celtic will take it to the 31st Aug though.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Maybe he isn’t our first choice, and we are doing enough to show an interest / remain informed should we actually need to formally bid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Celtic have decided they want to sell Edouard then they will have a price in mind. They need cash to buy players because they have fallen behind Rangers, and the sooner they get that cash the sooner they can strengthen their side. They've already been eliminated from the Champions League because they haven't got their business done quickly enough. Had the arrival of Joe Hart and Furuhashi been concluded 3 weeks ago they will probably still be that competition.

They've already dropped 3 points vs Hearts and were lucky Rangers had an off-day vs Dundee Utd, but if they piss around leaving it to the last day of the window for the sake of £1 or £2 million they risk losing more ground on Rangers.

The Scottish journalists have made it clear both Celtic and the player want a move. However, the new manager Postecoglou has already been critical of contracts / transfers incoming. The board have made some poor decisions in recent times and their handling of Edouard is yet another one.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can see us getting this done in the Janssen hour of deadline day when all other options have gone.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It’s not a ‘fact’ that we haven’t made a bid. The club don’t have to announce they’ve made one and Celtic don’t have to respond within a set time frame (unless a sunset clause is inserted into the official bid). It would be a fact of Celtic or BHA officially (and not through someone like Naylor) denied a bid had been made. Celtic could have responded to Albion that they’ll consider the bid when they have signed a replacement for example.

What’s clear is that the Albion play their transfers very close to their chests. If Naylor & Co. get info, it’s in the best interest of the transfer itself not transparency (which it should be). Mwepu is a great example of this. Our repeated failed attempts to sign the likes of Nunez as various clubs leaked our every move to their local journos is an example of how these things work if all sides don’t keep it quiet.

Celtic have almost signed Edouard’s replacement from a team and agent who can’t blackmail them with having Edouard’s £20m in the bank. Let’s see what happens after that, I pretty sure Celtic will take it to the 31st Aug though.

Or perhaps when sources close to the club told reliable journalists that we're not interested. We simply aren't interested. How about that ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Looks like he is may stick it out there this season and see through his contract and then leave on a free

Pretty sure that Celtic WILL blink before the window closes and other PL clubs will panic. We don’t do that anymore so I can see him going somewhere else, as said above we may not even be interested. I’m pretty sure he’ll be going though, it makes zero financial sense for him to walk on a free next season. I guess they could tough it out until January though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here