Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obika Signs for Charlton

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
There shouldn't be any malice towards him at all, it's not like he missed an open goal or missed a penalty etc, he just didn't get the chance to play. For whatever reason Oscar decided that he isn't really what we require, especially with higher quality strikers coming back into the frame.

Good luck at Charlton, hope you get them out of trouble!
The real answer...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wasn't he only brought in to be on the bench for emergency cover/give Ulloa a break when needed rather than as someone we were hoping would dislodge Ulloa from the team? Which would explain his lack of game time (a mere 83 league minutes, and that includes 21 minutes worth of injury time, only started in a weakened team v Port Vale).

At least he made contact with his bicycle kick. Ulloa tried one v Hull (away - when Dunks? shot bounced off the bar) and missed it completely.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Vokes is ten times the player Obika is, and always was when he was with us. I'd have happily signed Vokes when he was here as he was genuine competition for CMS, Hoskins and Barnes.

What is all this nonsense about not seeing enough of him? We saw more than enough to realise Obika is absolute gash and always will be.

ha ha ha ha oh dear oh dear oh dear !!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i have just breathed a massive sigh of relief. He is just not a footballer.
He always looked to me like he KNEW he was shit and that he'd accepted it, but he was still going to give it a try in the hope that, against all odds, he'd suddenly find professional football was for him after all.
So you guys don't think he'll be a professional footballer in a few years time? I'll be surprised if he turns out to be that bad.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Wasn't he only brought in to be on the bench for emergency cover/give Ulloa a break when needed rather than as someone we were hoping would dislodge Ulloa from the team? Which would explain his lack of game time (a mere 83 league minutes, and that includes 21 minutes worth of injury time, only started in a weakened team v Port Vale).

At least he made contact with his bicycle kick. Ulloa tried one v Hull (away - when Dunks? shot bounced off the bar) and missed it completely.

The whole time he was on the bench he was potentially preventing one of our own youngsters being given an opportunity. Monkana (?sp) for example or Dickenson prior to his move, there had to be a better option. Waste of wages.

His first touch was truly appalling and regardless of the overhead kick, the moment that stays with me is him having a clear run on goal and his first touch taking him wider towards the corner flag.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I have made a mental note of all posters on this thread who are part of the give him more time brigade. I rarely deal in absolutes but Obika was woeful. Sometimes you just have to nail your colours to the mast when presented with the evidence of shitness before your own eyes. If not Obika, then who?

If this board was here back in the day there would be some on here declaring a future for Richard Tiltman.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I have made a mental note of all posters on this thread who are part of the give him more time brigade. I rarely deal in absolutes but Obika was woeful. Sometimes you just have to nail your colours to the mast when presented with the evidence of shitness before your own eyes. If not Obika, then who?

If this board was here back in the day there would be some on here declaring a future for Richard Tiltman.

So you don't wish him good luck then?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
To be as bad as he is and be a professional footballer, Obika doesn't need me to wish him luck. As it goes I have nothing against him. As others have said he is comedy.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Expect we didn't send him back or 'release' him with return of Hoskins or CMS but more the fact he didn't play enough will have meant Spurs pushed our hand. Bit meh tbh as he looked OK but nothing special. Just hope we have cover later in the season

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The whole time he was on the bench he was potentially preventing one of our own youngsters being given an opportunity. Monkana (?sp) for example or Dickenson prior to his move, there had to be a better option. Waste of wages.

His first touch was truly appalling and regardless of the overhead kick, the moment that stays with me is him having a clear run on goal and his first touch taking him wider towards the corner flag.

Monakana didn't sign until after Obika, so wasn't an option at the time they decided to sign him

There were six of the first 12 games of the season in which we only had one recognised striker (Barnes or Ulloa). Dickenson and Richards were not used at all. If they had any serious potential to be on the bench, they would have been, instead they were sent out on loan to lower league teams. Barker was used once, then not risked again.

I don't believe Oscar sees any of our young strikers as ready, and if he did, there are 7 spots on the bench to fill, Obika being on there doesn't prevent others being used, too, instead of farming them out to lower division teams.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Monakana didn't sign until after Obika, so wasn't an option at the time they decided to sign him

There were six of the first 12 games of the season in which we only had one recognised striker (Barnes or Ulloa). Dickenson and Richards were not used at all. If they had any serious potential to be on the bench, they would have been, instead they were sent out on loan to lower league teams. Barker was used once, then not risked again.

I don't believe Oscar sees any of our young strikers as ready, and if he did, there are 7 spots on the bench to fill, Obika being on there doesn't prevent others being used, too, instead of farming them out to lower division teams.

But Obika was signed as cover as only had one striker, at the start of the season we had two, as you point out in Barnes and Ulloa.

Quite clearly Obika is not ready/good enough at this level and is no closer than those we have loaned out, so in my mind it remains a waste of resource.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wonder if it was a case of not needing him any longer so PB used his Spurs contacts and NJ his Charlton contacts to orchestrate another loan and get him off of our wage bill. I hope that he scores a hst rick in every game and collect 2 yellows in the game before us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here