Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oasis or Blur?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Way to ignore about 60% of their legacy.

Oasis were better in the early days, however by the end of both bands Blur couldn't even see Oasis in their rear view mirror, and were FAR more musically credible than Oasis who slowly became a 3rd rate-pub-band/Beatles-tribute etc.

13 and Think Tank are fantastic albums.

This.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
We actually had a pretty decent indie club in Worthing believe it or not! It was called the Factory and it was small, dingy, had sweat running down the walls & served it's beer in cans...The interior was also designed by Jamie Hewlett...

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

...and also featured in an episode of 'Wired World' by Philip Bond in Deadline magazine. I used to love it in The Factory (despite the chances of getting communicable diseases from leaning against the walls and the strange beer in yellow cans) but used to prefer punk nights or similar as I wasn't the biggest fan of Britpop :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Menswear :smile:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I rated Mansun myself, but they were more part of Muse/Feeder next generation of late 90's indie.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Both shit and I struggle to understand how either are described as "Indie". I effectively stopped listening to music seriously after that Brit Pop nonsense.

bleed-the-bood-promo.jpg

blur, btw. oasis only good for a few shout-alongs when pissed back in the 90s......

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Menswear :smile:

Their debut album was great! 'I'll Manage Somehow' and 'Being Brave' were my faves.

Got dropped before the second album could get released :(

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
How anyone can say Oasis is beyond me. Blur's recorded output is vastly superior. Oasis only did one great album (their first) and you can have their second if you are feeling immensely charitable. Modern Life, Parklife, Blur & 13 are all crackers, personally I also have a big soft spot for Leisure.

The correct answer is Pavement though.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
...and also featured in an episode of 'Wired World' by Philip Bond in Deadline magazine. I used to love it in The Factory (despite the chances of getting communicable diseases from leaning against the walls and the strange beer in yellow cans) but used to prefer punk nights or similar as I wasn't the biggest fan of Britpop :thumbsup:

Ah, Lynx Lager, I remember it well! Basically the bar downstairs bought The Factory and the unit next door to make a much larger club (which eventually became The Q-Club/Liquid Lounge) so they moved out of the premesis, even taking out the beer lines and everything.

Then when, the new owners initiall failed to get a licence, The Factory owner, who I think was called Ben Hope, leased the place back and moved in...Obviously, with no pumps and such like they just sold Lynx Lager in those cans. Not that anyone complained as we were just happy to have the place open again.

The diversity is what made it so cool as when I first started going there on a Saturday, it was all heavy metal and grunge. When that scene died out it Saturday's were all about indie/Britpop & techno but they put on all sorts of underground nights. I also enjoyed going there on the Friday's for the funk, cheese & disco nights.

Fantastic times.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
James, The Catherine Wheel, Smashing Pumpkins, Faith No More, Inspiral Carpets, Love and Rockets, Blue Aeroplanes, Jazz Butcher Conspiracy..... the list goes on.
ALL better than Blur and Oasis, who were way over-rated.

I saw the Jazz Butcher at my university. He was a bit of a nob to be honest. The singer reacted to the rather sparse crowd by stepping off the stage and playing right in-the-face of a student, leaning into him and pushing him back. Suffice to say he was eventually punched in the face and subsequently beat a hasty retreat to his dressing room never to be seen again that night.

I saw the Jazz Butcher at my university. He was a bit of a nob to be honest. The singer reacted to the rather sparse crowd by stepping off the stage and playing right in-the-face of a student, leaning into him and pushing him back. Suffice to say he was eventually punched in the face and subsequently beat a hasty retreat to his dressing room never to be seen again that night.

Oh well, a special night for all concerned then!

Back to one of the special subjects on this thread, I always found Oasis to be such charmers - delightful eggsamples for yoof of their day

[yt]dnDvNImEeOg[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here