Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T John Byrne

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You know what, they should probably bring in some kind of technology where you can re-watch the goal to see if there was an offence. You could draw some lines on the grass to help out with any offside decision and then give the goal to Liverpool anyway.

I've got a good suggestion for a name for it ... Video Assisted Referee, or VAR for short?

What do you think? should l patent it?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think I have this right, but in the days where most players had no agent, and wanting to come back to England after a couple of seasons at Le Havre, Byrne wrote a letter to every club manager he thought might have him and asked them to sign him. Barry Loyd was the only one to write back.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Didn't we have a goal ruled out in this game (a Mike Small back header?) that would have (probably) won us the game? (or at least given us the lead late in the game?) or am i mis-remembering this match?
That is my memory too

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Didn't we have a goal ruled out in this game (a Mike Small back header?) that would have (probably) won us the game? (or at least given us the lead late in the game?) or am i mis-remembering this match?
Yep. Remember this too but wasn't shown in any edited highlights I've watched of the game

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
Probably my favourite ever Albion player, was gutted when he went to Sunderland and I remember him scoring in every round of the FA cup for them, apart from the final, when they lost to Liverpool… I thought he was class.

Recall him coming back to the Goldstone with Sunderland the season after we sold him and he got an unbelievable reception. Missed a sitter that I’m convinced to this day that he missed on purpose as we were really struggling. Also remember Sunderland defending a free kick at the North Stand end and he was in the wall and he gave the North Stand a cheeky wave behind his back when the crowd were singing his name… 30+ years ago, jeez that makes me feel old, can’t remember what I had for dinner yesterday but I can still remember that!

Was also lucky enough to play against him when he was manager at Shoreham and he was playing centre back, with heavily strapped knees. I missed an open goal and he gave me a wink and a cheeky laugh! Never been so happy to miss an open goal…..
I was going to write that the wave made me laugh and a great player still miss the northstand.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I really don't remember

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What a moment that was :clap2: :love:
Up there with my all time fav Albion goals. His flying header sent us flying in the stands too, ended up several rows down over seats in the celebrations. So many memories of that day. Johnny Byrne is a Knight of the Albion Realm, and always will be.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
That was in the replay. About 14.30 minutes in on this.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I think I have this right, but in the days where most players had no agent, and wanting to come back to England after a couple of seasons at Le Havre, Byrne wrote a letter to every club manager he thought might have him and asked them to sign him. Barry Loyd was the only one to write back.
True story. Might have been one other club, but a Lloyd master-stroke nonetheless.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Byrne manages the West Hove Dynamos U-15 side that will compete in the Sussex County FA U-15 (Stan Beattie Memorial Trophy) final on Sunday against Eastbourne United at Culver Road, Lancing. The same two sides (and managers!) competed for the U-13 trophy two seasons ago.

It looks like Byrne has been coaching them all the way through:-

Incidentally Mark Reeve, the manager of the Eastbourne United side, has a son in the Albion academy.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Byrne manages the West Hove Dynamos U-15 side that will compete in the Sussex County FA U-15 (Stan Beattie Memorial Trophy) final on Sunday against Eastbourne United at Culver Road, Lancing. The same two sides (and managers!) competed for the U-13 trophy two seasons ago.

Incidentally Mark Reeve, the manager of the Eastbourne United side, has a son in the Albion academy.

Byrne’s son is quite a decent footballer and was involved with the Sussex Schoolboys team as well as Brighton Schoolboys too.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Personal reasons but I hope west hove take eastbourne united to the cleaners. One coach is a sound, understanding, knowledgeable and likeable person. The other isnt - produces ego ridden players. At a play on the pitch tournament at charlton a couple of years ago, Chris Powell was watching them in the final and told his daughter (who played for charlton girls) exactly what he thought of their on pitch antics.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Having come up against them with Bobkin Jnr's lot, these are a VERY good team.

Stumpy Tim

My son has played against West Hove Dynamos U13 this season a few times. Ex-Albion Haydon Roberts seems to be involved in a way. Not sure why but he was at two of the three games they've played against each other

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My son has played against West Hove Dynamos U13 this season a few times. Ex-Albion Haydon Roberts seems to be involved in a way. Not sure why but he was at two of the three games they've played against each other

A relative of his plays for them and Hayden himself was a Dynamo before getting scouted by the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here