Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T John Byrne

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I worked with one of the (Class of) Dean Hammond cohort. He said in training Wendy and Byrne would play keep the ball, all the 19 year olds were tasked with winning the ball back, yet they couldn’t manage it. Byrne was a very talented footballer and deceptively strong.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
In 47 years watching the Albion he is my No 1.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Probably my favourite ever Albion player, was gutted when he went to Sunderland and I remember him scoring in every round of the FA cup for them, apart from the final, when they lost to Liverpool… I thought he was class.

Recall him coming back to the Goldstone with Sunderland the season after we sold him and he got an unbelievable reception. Missed a sitter that I’m convinced to this day that he missed on purpose as we were really struggling. Also remember Sunderland defending a free kick at the North Stand end and he was in the wall and he gave the North Stand a cheeky wave behind his back when the crowd were singing his name… 30+ years ago, jeez that makes me feel old, can’t remember what I had for dinner yesterday but I can still remember that!

Was also lucky enough to play against him when he was manager at Shoreham and he was playing centre back, with heavily strapped knees. I missed an open goal and he gave me a wink and a cheeky laugh! Never been so happy to miss an open goal…..

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Probably my favourite ever Albion player, was gutted when he went to Sunderland and I remember him scoring in every round of the FA cup for them, apart from the final, when they lost to Liverpool… I thought he was class.

Recall him coming back to the Goldstone with Sunderland the season after we sold him and he got an unbelievable reception. Missed a sitter that I’m convinced to this day that he missed on purpose as we were really struggling. Also remember Sunderland defending a free kick at the North Stand end and he was in the wall and he gave the North Stand a cheeky wave behind his back when the crowd were singing his name… 30+ years ago, jeez that makes me feel old, can’t remember what I had for dinner yesterday but I can still remember that!

Was also lucky enough to play against him when he was manager at Shoreham and he was playing centre back, with heavily strapped knees. I missed an open goal and he gave me a wink and a cheeky laugh! Never been so happy to miss an open goal…..
Whilst gutted he'd left, I just remember feeling so proud as he kept scoring in the cup, he still felt like ours.

I mentioned it on here the other day, whilst Bobby is my all time Albion hero, Byrne and Small are to this day still my favourite strike force.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Remembering JB has took me back to a wintery 3pm kick off at the Goldstone with those magical four corner floodlights coming on at half time. As a 15 year old watching through the fence behind the goal in the Northstand he scored a brace second half and I was in awe of his footballing skills.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. Another one here who still remembers him very fondly. Great player.

Whilst gutted he'd left, I just remember feeling so proud as he kept scoring in the cup, he still felt like ours.

I mentioned it on here the other day, whilst Bobby is my all time Albion hero, Byrne and Small are to this day still my favourite strike force.
Indeed. Often people moan on here and say things like "Why are we still talking about so-and-so? They're not our player any more." But they ARE our players. Byrne Zamora, Ward, etc were our players. The fact that technically they were playing for other clubs didn't alter that.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I remember a mate of mine who played for the Albion youth team at the same time as Kerry Mayo, saying what a nice bloke John Byrne was. After my mate was released he was playing locally, and played against Byrne when he was at Shoreham. He said Byrne made a point of coming over to him saying hello, and asking him how he was doing, what he was up to etc. Its not like they were mates, or even played in the same team at the Albion, Byrne just remembered him being part of the youth set up. I always thought that was a nice classy thing to do.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I delivered his shopping on the odd occasion...

Decent customers compared to 99% of the others as they used to bung :)

Great player as well

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

There was "25 years since the Goldstone" event last season, and he was present. I spoke to him there about that incident and he still insists he didn't mean to miss that chance!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here