Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T John Byrne

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Personal reasons but I hope west hove take eastbourne united to the cleaners. One coach is a sound, understanding, knowledgeable and likeable person. The other isnt - produces ego ridden players. At a play on the pitch tournament at charlton a couple of years ago, Chris Powell was watching them in the final and told his daughter (who played for charlton girls) exactly what he thought of their on pitch antics.
Really?

In that 2022 Sussex County FA article I linked to, he says "I actually coach some of their boys as a Brighton & Hove Albion coach...."

:ohmy:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Really?

In that 2022 Sussex County FA article I linked to, he says "I actually coach some of their boys as a Brighton & Hove Albion coach...."

Mark runs the sussex county age group as well as eastbourne utd and i believe assists in coaching at the albion.

Outside of a game he comes across as affable but when he coaches or officiates (sometimes doing both at the same time) he seems to undergo a personality swap. He has a very good team and he has clearly coached them well. Maybe they need a bit of swagger but its a toxic mix of parents living their dreams through their kids and a level of perceived entitlement.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Really?

If a player is signed with the Albion they can't play for any other team other than a school or rep team so presumably he coaches for the Foundation rather than the academy?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
If a player is signed with the Albion they can't play for any other team other than a school or rep team so presumably he coaches for the Foundation rather than the academy?
Okay, yes I guess that might be the case. Do they have the younger age groups at the Foundation?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
John Byrne's team (west hove dynamos u15) won the u15 sussex county cup last night beating a very strong Eastbourne united side. In a dramatic game of 3 penalties (all scored) it ended up 2-1 to west hove with the winner coming from the spot with virtually the last kick of the game. Fair play to the assistant ref who gave the final pen when the ref was unsighted, and credit to the young lad who scored it before heading into the lively and noisy support mainly supporting west hove, behind the goal.

Earlier in the game, west hove took the lead just before half time and eastbourne utd equalised in the second half.

The west hove keeper had an outstanding game and won the MoTM award.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
John Byrne's team (west hove dynamos u15) won the u15 sussex county cup last night beating a very strong Eastbourne united side. In a dramatic game of 3 penalties (all scored) it ended up 2-1 to west hove with the winner coming from the spot with virtually the last kick of the game. Fair play to the assistant ref who gave the final pen when the ref was unsighted, and credit to the young lad who scored it before heading into the lively and noisy support mainly supporting west hove, behind the goal.

Earlier in the game, west hove took the lead just before half time and eastbourne utd equalised in the second half.

The west hove keeper had an outstanding game and won the MoTM award.
Was a very entertaining game and I enjoyed it more than most of the nonleague matches I’ve been to this year.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Was a very entertaining game and I enjoyed it more than most of the nonleague matches I’ve been to this year.
Wasnt it just! I know a lot of local teams in that age group had players going to watch (many supporting west hove) inc my son and his mates from school. They were in the group that the west hove pen takers ran too after scoring.

I think nerves played a part in some of the decision making. The eastbourne utd centre backs are normally very assured but the west hove strikers really got into them. Surprised to see one of the better defenders didnt even make the bench for united. I know they have a big squad (over 20) and maybe the coach had other ideas

papa_stew

Sep 22, 2007
Ah, this thread just reminded me of something in the loft. Cannot remember which final game of the season this came from but I do remember him scoring that day. Won in the final home game raffle that happened a few times back at The Goldstone. It's not been washed since 😂. Surely worth a few quid?

IMG_3764.jpg
IMG_3765.jpg

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ah, this thread just reminded me of something in the loft. Cannot remember which final game of the season this came from but I do remember him scoring that day. Won in the final home game raffle that happened a few times back at The Goldstone. It's not been washed since 😂. Surely worth a few quid?

View attachment 179452View attachment 179453
That would be the match against Chester City on May 8 1993 then (a 3-2 win with two goals for Byrne and one for Nogan). Attendance: 6,247

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here