Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O Grady Deal Agreed - Sheffield Star

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I don't get this celebrity status for OGrady. He does an interview where it's obvious he was quite emotional and things are going on in his personal life which i wish him all the best for but that's about it. He isn't a very good footballer and certainly not a club who was aiming for promotion at the start of the season.
I'm actually delighted that another club is willing to pay a fee for him instead of us keep loaning him out until his contract expires because i thought no club would buy him..
He was a poor signing but then so have most of our strikers been. I would love to clear them all out by the summer and start again.
I don't actually think our strikers like CMS and Baldock are rubbish players but neither should be played upfront on there own or on the wing. That's not what they are about.

O Grady is gash, but CMS is alright...**** me..

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Quite clearly. CMS is gash.

Baldock has been here half a season and been underwhelming, but I'm more confident than I ever was that he'd be prolific playing alongside a big bloke.

And you base that on what exactly!?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Just crazy to let this go public. The Blades are out of order here. I think he is now showing that he can play a valuable role for us and to say we have done a deal if we get someone else in is just daft when we need him to play well for us in the games over the next few weeks. Unless we are 100% certain that we have incoming this shouldn't be out there.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
In response to @spence post .. missed the quote bit as I fumed :)

Not celeb status for me and I actually saw he had some good potential before Fulham. Even playing out wide in his odd appearances under Hypia you could see he was a strong fella and had good control.

What I don't get is that some never gave him a chance and rating any of our players during the SH period is pretty unfair.

Yes we have had crap strikers and your statement that COG had one good season is pretty irrelevent. I remember when we signed Ulloa he was little more than a journeyman too but an Argentinian coming from Spanish football gave him pretty well instant celeb status .. unlike a Yorkie from Barnsley

I'm not surprised COG wants out, I doubt he cares too much what the fans think but if people at the club think the same then I'm surprised he's not put in a written request

Spot on.

CoG is clearly a very "professional" player. His performances since he came back from loan have been good and certainly not lacking in effort - not something that I would expect from someone who wants away. He was not given a fair chance by Sami and whilst he may not be the most gifted player we could hope to have, he is the sort of person/player that I would like to keep in the squad. If he is happy to stay of course - that depends upon what he means by "feeling wanted" I suppose.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't see how anyone can say O'Grady is better than CMS. CMS runs his socks off for 70 mins and then O Grady comes on against a tired defence and looks good. Do that in reverse and see what happens. There is a reason O Grady is not starting matches for us. When he did he was frankly complete pants.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I can't believe the club have been so stupid as to indicate to COG that he can go to Sheff Utd if we sign someone else. That's hardly going to make him feel wanted let alone in the right frame of mind to do the business against Brentford. When it comes to man management we really don't seem to have a clue.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
This is my worry too. I've been a bit puzzled by some of our activity in the past but this ones right up there on the confused scale. Hughton comes in, has the opportunity to look at the players and then agrees to let the one who's arguabely been one of our best, leave?

If I were COG I'd be looking in the direction of CMS and scratching my head

I think the reality is, is that COG and/or his family are unsettled down here in the South and would prefer to go back 'home'. Players are not going to say what they really think when a camera is stuck in front of their face.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
The COG signing was a panic buy just like the Dobbie signing.
We offered him a contract length and wage which was way in excess of anything else he was being offered (Mr Burke)..
Like Dobbie the club realises it can now get out of this deal now and cut their losses.
The saving can then be used to sign a player the manager wants...

It would appear the wife and child cannot settle (4 house moves in 4 months).
You could not meet a nicer guy than COG.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think the reality is, is that COG and/or his family are unsettled down here in the South and would prefer to go back 'home'. Players are not going to say what they really think when a camera is stuck in front of their face.

I wonder though if he came here, was poorly used by SH and then shunted off to Sheff U. In which case you can understand why he'd be unsettled having just moved his family down. Of course SH comes out in press saying O'Grady needs to decide what he wants but even then I thought that was just SH justifying why he was booting him out.

I don't deny he wants away but "was he pushed or did he jump"?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I wonder though if he came here, was poorly used by SH and then shunted off to Sheff U. In which case you can understand why he'd be unsettled having just moved his family down. Of course SH comes out in press saying O'Grady needs to decide what he wants but even then I thought that was just SH justifying why he was booting him out.

I don't deny he wants away but "was he pushed or did he jump"?

Yes, your scenario could quite easily have validity. Players I guess need to feel wanted and if he wasn't getting the right vibes from his manager then his natural instinct would be to want out.

Like most things in football, we will likely never find out if he was pushed or jumped.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can't believe the club have been so stupid as to indicate to COG that he can go to Sheff Utd if we sign someone else. That's hardly going to make him feel wanted let alone in the right frame of mind to do the business against Brentford. When it comes to man management we really don't seem to have a clue.

Could work in reverse and make him play better knowing that the club have tried to help him and his family out by letting him go back to Sheffield, if that is what he wants.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I don't think he can be at his best for 90 minutes and certainly not in our old system.

If we're not building our team around him (and he's not THAT amazing to warrent that) then probably for the best...... provided can get someone else in.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I may have missed this ..but is there a direct quote from our club?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'd like to think that as he has not set the world alight down here and may want to return up North we are allowing him that choice and bringing in someone better. Every one a winner!

I may have missed this ..but is there a direct quote from our club?

Of course not! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here