Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O Grady Deal Agreed - Sheffield Star

el punal

Just crazy if true. How to unsettle a player in the position we need to strengthen the most with the one player who is doing well up there

It could well be, though, that he has not settled on the glorious south coast, and therefore for personal reasons all parties have decided that it's best if he moves back up north. I must admit that a decision to let him go is mad UNLESS a new striker is just about to unveiled - here's hoping.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Suggest this means we are close to signing somebody, these things don't happen unless something is in motion.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It could well be, though, that he has not settled on the glorious south coast, and therefore for personal reasons all parties have decided that it's best if he moves back up north. I must admit that a decision to let him go is mad UNLESS a new striker is just about to unveiled - here's hoping.

Is that not exactly what is happening though? He can leave once a replacement is found? That is what the article implies.

I think some of you need to calm down on COG's quality. He is a capable hold up type striker, that is all. The fact that we have had a manager who was too inept to realise that we need to play that type of player has lead to COG looking a lot better than he is. Sign someone who is better, really not that difficult you would have thought, then O'Grady will be forgotten very quickly.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The cog is an excellent striker to bring off the bench for the last 20 minutes of a game we're already winning. He can come out sometime victor in a battle with the tired-legged Ben Haim. At the start of a game against a fresh defender or two, I wouldn't have him in the side. He hasn't the wit or wherewithal to play a smart passing game. I like the comical songs sung in his honour, but am not led to believe in his undying quality thanks to a couple of substitute appearances and cms' waywardness and panting. Sheffield United is right for him.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'll withhold judgement until I see who is replacing him, O'Grady is certainly better than anyone else we have and we are not very good at spotting Championship quality strikers. In 4 years we have had one and that was only for a season and a bit. Worrying that our best striker is so keen to leave for a lower league club.

I predict we'll sign an old, probably injury prone, once good striker who hasn't played this season or another League One gamble.

This is my worry too. I've been a bit puzzled by some of our activity in the past but this ones right up there on the confused scale. Hughton comes in, has the opportunity to look at the players and then agrees to let the one who's arguabely been one of our best, leave?

If I were COG I'd be looking in the direction of CMS and scratching my head

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
How many minutes have both players played?
Maybe one got more minutes then the other because the management thought they were the better player?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
For me it'd be Baldock that would be moving on rather than COG. Bet Brizzle are wetting themselves over taking that much money off us for him

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm actually a lot more upset by this than I should be.

Whatever happens Chris, the very best of luck to you.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
CMS is patently a completely different striker to COG. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and bananas. Silly.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nope, especially when he scored as many as Alloa last season for a dogs hit Barnsley. He was terrible.

And yet his scoring rate record isn't nearly as good as that of Leo '(nearly)1 goal in every 2 Championship games' Ulloa, even if you only take COG's 1 good season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You think O'Grady is better than CMS?
Quite clearly. CMS is gash.

For me it'd be Baldock that would be moving on rather than COG. Bet Brizzle are wetting themselves over taking that much money off us for him
Baldock has been here half a season and been underwhelming, but I'm more confident than I ever was that he'd be prolific playing alongside a big bloke.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
2 of those in the League Cup against rank opposition ... and you could add another 3 games for Posh where he got nought

I don't get this celebrity status for OGrady. He does an interview where it's obvious he was quite emotional and things are going on in his personal life which i wish him all the best for but that's about it. He isn't a very good footballer and certainly not a club who was aiming for promotion at the start of the season.
I'm actually delighted that another club is willing to pay a fee for him instead of us keep loaning him out until his contract expires because i thought no club would buy him..
He was a poor signing but then so have most of our strikers been. I would love to clear them all out by the summer and start again.
I don't actually think our strikers like CMS and Baldock are rubbish players but neither should be played upfront on there own or on the wing. That's not what they are about.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
In response to [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] post .. missed the quote bit as I fumed :)

Not celeb status for me and I actually saw he had some good potential before Fulham. Even playing out wide in his odd appearances under Hypia you could see he was a strong fella and had good control.

What I don't get is that some never gave him a chance and rating any of our players during the SH period is pretty unfair.

Yes we have had crap strikers and your statement that COG had one good season is pretty irrelevent. I remember when we signed Ulloa he was little more than a journeyman too but an Argentinian coming from Spanish football gave him pretty well instant celeb status .. unlike a Yorkie from Barnsley

I'm not surprised COG wants out, I doubt he cares too much what the fans think but if people at the club think the same then I'm surprised he's not put in a written request

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
In response to [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] post .. missed the quote bit as I fumed :)

Not celeb status for me and I actually saw he had some good potential before Fulham. Even playing out wide in his odd appearances under Hypia you could see he was a strong fella and had good control.

What I don't get is that some never gave him a chance and rating any of our players during the SH period is pretty unfair.

Yes we have had crap strikers and your statement that COG had one good season is pretty irrelevent. I remember when we signed Ulloa he was little more than a journeyman too but an Argentinian coming from Spanish football gave him pretty well instant celeb status .. unlike a Yorkie from Barnsley

I'm not surprised COG wants out, I doubt he cares too much what the fans think but if people at the club think the same then I'm surprised he's not put in a written request

Fumed about what? This is a football forum to discuss such things. I think COG is shit and you don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here