Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Nutty Rules for Attending the Amex

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm wondering who is responsible for the nutty rules governing seating arrangements for the friendly against Chelsea? I'd assumed that they would only use alternate rows of seats, and that fans registered at the same address would be able to sit together, with the booking system automatically blocking out the required number of empty seats to either side of each group. Then everyone can use the empty rows to access their seats safely. Easy!

But instead they've distanced EVERY individual, and used ALL the rows, making access as difficult as possible while denying families the right to sit together. This is nuts.

They've also introduced Wembley's nutty rule on bag sizes, with an A4 template (21cm x 30cm x 21cm). There are NO bags available in this size. The ones that claim to be A4 are actually much larger, but have been designed to take A4 documents comfortably. Most shopping bags and carrier bags will not fit into this template. The only bags that will fit are some of the smallest of womens' handbags. Nuts.

You do realise that you don't have to attend

lindfieldgull

Dec 15, 2009
I have a friend who is a steward at the Amex. Despite being a placid and calm person, during pre-Covid times he often got sworn at and called a jobsworth just because he has had to advise people sometimes that they can't just do what they want and ignore the rules. He has told me that he is reluctant to return to stewarding with the reduced capacity and new rules as he is sure that some people would assume that the rules didn't apply to them or just wanted to argue about them.
The OP seems to confirm this view. Why can't people just accept that the rules are for everyone's benefit?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was at the hospital on Monday for day surgery and we only sat one seat apart.

Not sure the relevance of this. Were there rows and rows of seats? Did you sit directly behind or in front of anyone? Or diagonally opposite?

I kind of think the Albion management gave the seating arrangements a bit of thought, took guidance and followed the Government’s requirements before deciding.

If they followed your “suggestion” they would have to leave alternate rows completely free.

BTW - the o/p is either a troll or a wind up. Definitely not an Albion fan.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not sure the relevance of this. Were there rows and rows of seats? Did you sit directly behind or in front of anyone? Or diagonally opposite?

I kind of think the Albion management gave the seating arrangements a bit of thought, took guidance and followed the Government’s requirements before deciding.

If they followed your “suggestion” they would have to leave alternate rows completely free.

BTW - the o/p is either a troll or a wind up. Definitely not an Albion fan.

The seats were arranged alternately and not in rows. They were spaced to be 6 feet apart. The relevance is that the spacing was deemed to be safe in a hospital environment so four seats spacing in an open air stadium seems over the top.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have a friend who is a steward at the Amex. Despite being a placid and calm person, during pre-Covid times he often got sworn at and called a jobsworth just because he has had to advise people sometimes that they can't just do what they want and ignore the rules. He has told me that he is reluctant to return to stewarding with the reduced capacity and new rules as he is sure that some people would assume that the rules didn't apply to them or just wanted to argue about them.
The OP seems to confirm this view. Why can't people just accept that the rules are for everyone's benefit?

But there are so many rules, many in defiance of any logic, that aren't being enforced.

I was in Icelands last night. Ten people including staff. I was one of four out of the ten wearing a mask. Shoppers without masks not being challenged.

Got on the bus; two people got on behind me not wearing masks and not challenged by the driver

Numerous train journeys to Brighton and Southampton estimate 25% of passengers not wearing masks. Not once has an onboard supervisor walked the train to check.

One time I forgot to put my mask on in a shop. A shop that only allows one customer in the shop at a time. And shop assistant - behind a huge plastic screen - told me to put my mask on - despite the fact that she refused to wear one. So she wanted me to protect her but couldn't give a shit about protecting me.

Rules are useless if they aren't enforced. And some of the rules make no sense anyway.

Why shouldnt parents and their kids sit together at games in adjacent seats. They will be in their own household bubble.

Crazy times. Crazy rules.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The seats were arranged alternately and not in rows. They were spaced to be 6 feet apart. The relevance is that the spacing was deemed to be safe in a hospital environment so four seats spacing in an open air stadium seems over the top.

As someone said earlier this is the first hit with a max capacity so leaving extra space between people is not an issue.

My point about rows is that the safe distance is measured all around the person, not just to the left and right. Try drawing it.

Chickenlittle

Feb 6, 2017
South coast
I have to say I agree with most posters that this is just a test situation and that if it bothers you so much don’t go, however...as they appear to be keeping everyone in the 1901 a whole row apart I wonder why they haven’t done the same in the other sections? Would certainly make getting to and from seats easier, if nothing else :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
But there are so many rules, many in defiance of any logic, that aren't being enforced.

I was in Icelands last night. Ten people including staff. I was one of four out of the ten wearing a mask. Shoppers without masks not being challenged.

Got on the bus; two people got on behind me not wearing masks and not challenged by the driver

Numerous train journeys to Brighton and Southampton estimate 25% of passengers not wearing masks. Not once has an onboard supervisor walked the train to check.

One time I forgot to put my mask on in a shop. A shop that only allows one customer in the shop at a time. And shop assistant - behind a huge plastic screen - told me to put my mask on - despite the fact that she refused to wear one. So she wanted me to protect her but couldn't give a shit about protecting me.

Rules are useless if they aren't enforced. And some of the rules make no sense anyway.

Why shouldnt parents and their kids sit together at games in adjacent seats. They will be in their own household bubble.

Crazy times. Crazy rules.

This. As much as the OP strikes me as a bit of a Mr Angry from Tunbridge Wells there are some stunning inconsistencies regarding Covid.

As far as football goes some serious effort has been made to make subs sit socially distanced and with masks on - then they get on the pitch and spend 20 mins breathing and sweating all over their opposite number and the ref (who is maskless unless he is in the tunnel, while the 4th offical remains permanently masked).

There is an office block round the corner from me where the desks are (I presume anyway) distanced from each other in line with guidelines. Last night I watched as a group of young office workers left together with barely a few centimetres between them, talking about going to the pub - where they will once again have to remain distanced. Until they leave, pissed.

Everyone - literally everyone - is making this up as they go along.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I assume the club is still working on a booking system to accomodate groups of fans (up to five) sitting together. The size of the groups will impact the capacity for starters.

I think tomorrow is a test of 'customer flow' (in concourses etc) and not seating arrangements.

I dont think this is right.At the zoom meeting it was said every other seat would be out of use for social distancing. It would be impossible to expect them to reconfigure the seating plan depending on groups or families.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I dont think this is right.At the zoom meeting it was said every other seat would be out of use for social distancing. It would be impossible to expect them to reconfigure the seating plan depending on groups or families.

Oh. So why are there going to be groups up to five? Why can't, say, six or seven sit together (but equally separated)?

BTW, if there will always be two or more seats between me and one on my kids and another two seats to another kid, I won't want to go - and nor will they. As part of the same family, we're obv in a bubble. Not need for social distancing.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh. So why are there going to be groups up to five? Why can't, say, six or seven sit together (but equally separated)?

I imagine it's government guildelines based on following the science*

*which appears to be Westminister slang for whatever Dom writes on the back of a fag packet after a large brandy.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I can't be bothered to trawl through 6 pages of posts so can someone please summarise for me.
a) am I allowed to take nuts when attending the Amex?
b) if yes, what size bag of nuts am I allowed?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This. As much as the OP strikes me as a bit of a Mr Angry from Tunbridge Wells there are some stunning inconsistencies regarding Covid.

As far as football goes some serious effort has been made to make subs sit socially distanced and with masks on - then they get on the pitch and spend 20 mins breathing and sweating all over their opposite number and the ref (who is maskless unless he is in the tunnel, while the 4th offical remains permanently masked).

There is an office block round the corner from me where the desks are (I presume anyway) distanced from each other in line with guidelines. Last night I watched as a group of young office workers left together with barely a few centimetres between them, talking about going to the pub - where they will once again have to remain distanced. Until they leave, pissed.

Everyone - literally everyone - is making this up as they go along.

This was always going to happen because there are so many situations that couldn’t be covered without millions of sub sections to the Covid “rules”. Sadly too many people are either ignorant of the rules or just plain ignorant. Like all rules and laws the lawmakers have to rely on the majority complying.
Companies can take precautions within their premises, etc but as I’m sure you know a rule abiding employee can quickly become a total dickhead when he gets in the pub!
Rather than challenge and ridicule the rules and steps being taken to protect “us” I wish people would apply common sense and give some credit to those who are doing their best.
The OP clearly has an axe to grind.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As someone said earlier this is the first hit with a max capacity so leaving extra space between people is not an issue.

My point about rows is that the safe distance is measured all around the person, not just to the left and right. Try drawing it.

Try telling the bus companies. The rules change for whoever is writing them.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Get used to it. For months now where-ever we go to eat etc. over here, me and the Mrs have to sit on opposite corners of a huge table, with plastic screens and stuff between us. The fact we were making out 10 minutes ago and will be doing far more than that 10 mintes after leaving make it all utterly pointless in the restaurant or cafe.

But rules are rules and maybe everyone would just say they're married when not to get around it if you got two categories. Or then what happens if just a relationship etc. Where is the line drawn. And would seeing other people allowed close together, make other types of groups relax their care.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here