Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] NSC may become unavailable

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I'm not saying there weren't changes, as there were, but I wanted to make sure I was answering the right question!

I was unpicking a few legacy behind-the-scenes things that had become a bit of a mess and may well have tripped the site over in the future. I wanted to do it in a semi-controlled manner instead of, at some point, things breaking and me having no idea why.

Cloudflare CDN and name servers being the main one, for the very curious.
Thank you for what you doo

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Having problems for three days now using my preferred chrome server rather than safari on my iPad ? Message I get is.

Bad request
your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

size of request header field exceeds server limit.

then beneath this message it reads.

Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu) server at northstandchat.com port 80

any help please Bozza, tried turning it off/on but still the same ? Thank you.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Having problems for three days now using my preferred chrome server rather than safari on my iPad ? Message I get is.

Bad request
your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

size of request header field exceeds server limit.

then beneath this message it reads.

Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu) server at northstandchat.com port 80

any help please Bozza, tried turning it off/on but still the same ? Thank you.
I've answered this very question about 20 times on this thread already, which highlights I need to come up with a better way of communicating this stuff.

Anyway, assuming you're talking Chrome on a desktop/laptop...
  1. On your computer, open Chrome
  2. At the top right, click Settings
  3. In the left hand menu, click Privacy and security
  4. In the main menu, middle of screen, click Cookies and other site data
  5. Scroll down and click See all site data and permissions
  6. In the search bar, top right, type northstandchat
  7. To the right of the site, click Remove or the bin icon.
  8. To confirm, click Clear.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I've answered this very question about 20 times on this thread already, which highlights I need to come up with a better way of communicating this stuff.

Sorry for the question Bozza, I haven’t been able to read any threads for a few days so missed your previous responses, just managed to clear the cache on Chrome and signed back into NSC and it seems to be ok now. Thank you for your answer, the help you give and for all you do running this site.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry for the question Bozza, I haven’t been able to read any threads for a few days so missed your previous responses, just managed to clear the cache on Chrome and signed back into NSC and it seems to be ok now. Thank you for your answer, the help you give and for all you do running this site.
Nothing to apologise for at all - I appreciate how incredibly frustrating it is. I just need to give some thought to try and make this stuff more easily findable!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
There are no more ads than there has been for months/years.

However as I posted above on mobile the mid-page ad units are larger than they used to be, taking up more vertical screen space so it may feel as if there are more.

Again, as I posted above, I am going to get this remedied and have them changed to narrower banners.

I’m also working on something that a fair few people have asked for before which is an optional “NSC supporter” thing whereby, for a payment, you get a few extra bells and whistles, including the option of ad-free views.
Thank you. Sorry if my post came across the wrong way. I understand the principle of needing the ads. I had just experienced that expanding vertical add thing and it threw me a little.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016

How to delete cookies for individual websites on Android in Chrome #Scroll down​

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thank you. Sorry if my post came across the wrong way. I understand the principle of needing the ads. I had just experienced that expanding vertical add thing and it threw me a little.
No, it's fine.

We all have differing tolerances with ads, ranging from "Ads are evil and I will do my best to block them and f*** the sites who need them to survive" through to "I understand the need for ads on free-to-use sites and will tolerate them as long as they don't ruin my experience."

Fortunately, I think a fair chunk of NSCers tend towards the latter.

Every single day I'm approached by numerous ad suppliers promising untold wealth for placing their ads on the site, but they are generally intrusive - pop-over, pop-unders, interstitials and videos. I politely decline.

I won't pretend to get the ad/user experience balance right all the time, but I try to find that sweet spot for most reasonable people. I could easily run the site ad-free for myself, but I have the same view as everyone else who is logged in. It needs a few tweaks at the moment to dial things back a tad and I'll be onto that just as soon as the technical gremlins have f***ed off!

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I'm doing some stuff - the site will remain up but the DNS-y internet-y things may break connectivity at some point for different people at different times.

I'll try to get it all back as quickly as I can.
Just seen this - ignore my post in the NSC help forum if this is likely to be what's causing it!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just seen this - ignore my post in the NSC help forum if this is likely to be what's causing it!
It will be cookies, and clearing them for NSC will resolve it - a working incognito view proves that.

Have a quick poke back through the last few pages - it's likely I've posted details for how to clear NSC site-specific cookies for your browser. Post back here if you can't find them.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
It will be cookies, and clearing them for NSC will resolve it - a working incognito view proves that.

Have a quick poke back through the last few pages - it's likely I've posted details for how to clear NSC site-specific cookies for your browser. Post back here if you can't find them.
Thanks, I found it, it worked. :)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Keep getting a bad request via Chrome when trying to access NSC on laptop, and on Android via Chrome can access first page of a thread but then get bad request if trying subsequent pages.

Just me or is their a solution or ongoing problem

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Keep getting a bad request via Chrome when trying to access NSC on laptop, and on Android via Chrome can access first page of a thread but then get bad request if trying subsequent pages.

Just me or is their a solution or ongoing problem
Easy fix. Please scroll back a page or two for Chrome instructions.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The site has become almost unusable in the last hour since this keeps popping up

Screenshot_20230511-172156.png

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
When the ads first started coming up, I found the site unusable. After the cookie deleting thing, it seems to have settled down to just a couple. Bearable so no issues now

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Easy fix. Please scroll back a page or two for Chrome instructions.
....only slight issue with this is that when I had the issue (prior to clearing site-specific cookies which solved it instantly), attempting to scroll back a page brought up the 'bad response' page so I can see why some aren't able to read the thread first.......

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You techies are great with logic. Unfortunately I'm limited at tech. This all went well until 6.
My questions are re
6, do you have to hit return?
7, can't see either
PS, am on Chrome on a PC

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You techies are great with logic. Unfortunately I'm limited at tech. This all went well until 6.
My questions are re
6, do you have to hit return?
7, can't see either
PS, am on Chrome on a PC
You start typing northstandchat in the search box until just northstandchat.com is displayed below. How many letters you need to type depends on what other sites you visit, but you probably won't need to go much beyond nort. No need to hit return, the search results are displayed, and reduced as you type.

Then when you only have NSC displayed, click the bin and then confirm with "Clear".

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 20.12.40.png

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 20.14.40.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here