Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC is no longer nothing to do about BHA :-(

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I thought they were Hull City Tigers now - or did I just imagine that.

I don't think it went ahead in the end.

What ever happened to Mansfield Town getting re-named Hardchester United?

Incidentally, Hardchester united would have shared something in common with Port Vale and Arsenal had they took on the name. What?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't think it went ahead in the end.

What ever happened to Mansfield Town getting re-named Hardchester United?

Hardchester united would have shared something in common with Port Vale and Arsenal had they took on the name. What?

Clubs not named after a place.

(Except Arsenal in that answer is always disputed, as Woolwich Arsenal was a physical 'place')

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
(Except Arsenal in that answer is always disputed, as Woolwich Arsenal was a physical 'place')

Arsenal is not disputable at all!?

They dropped the name Woolwich because the FA had some sort of rule that you must change your name if you move a certain distance from the area used as a club name. Didn't they then go on to use the name Royal Arsenal and then Arsenal once they movers north of the river? It's pretty logical why you wouldn't associate them with Woolwich now. Islington isn't close.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Arsenal is not disputable at all!?

They dropped the name Woolwich because the FA had some sort of rule that you must change your name if you move a certain distance from the area used to name a club. Didn't they then go on to use the name Royal Arsenal and then Arsenal? It's pretty logical why you wouldn't associate them with Woolwich now. Islington isn't close.

The fact remains that the club was (originally) named after a place, even if that club later moved.

Port Vale FC on the other hand, were not.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
The fact remains that the club was (originally) named after a place, even if that club later moved.

Port Vale FC on the other hand, were not.

But Arsenal are not named after a geographical place? How can that be debated?

Are we still nicknamed the Dolphins?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Consider the OP further flamed for the grammar in the thread title.

Perhaps he'd like to start a similar thread on an Ipswich forum, as they may understand what he is on about.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
There was a place called Woolwich Arsenal. That is the place they are named after.

We are talking geographical positions here and football club names. Arsenal isn't a place. Even when they were playing in Woolwich, they changed their name to just the Royal Arsenal (which again, isn't a geographical position).

This is ridiculous, I've never in my life come across someone who's debated this fact before!?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We are talking geographical positions here and football club names. Arsenal isn't a place. Even when they were playing in Woolwich, they changed their name to the Royal Arsenal (which again, isn't a geographical position). Therefore Arsenal or Royal Arsenal (home to Woolwich) are not geographical positions.

This is ridiculous, I've never in my life come across someone who's debated this fact before!?

Some people will argue anything.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Some people will argue anything.

You tell me?

Hull city instead of Hull city FC?

Arsenal being a geographical named place?

Anything else you want to start arguing about Mr Pedantic?

(are you always like this with quiz questions?)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You tell me?

Hull city instead of Hull city FC?

Arsenal being a geographical named place.?

Anything else you want to start arguing about?

1. The old quiz question, was "Which is the only club, that you can write in lower or upper case, and none of the letters can be filled in". The answer has to be 'Hull City', as the 'A' in 'Hull City AFC' disproves the theory. No argument there -you were wrong.

2. 'Arsenal' is a relic of 'Royal Arsenal' named as the club was, after the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich. They may have long since dropped the geographical reference, but the club is indisputably named after that place. Again, you're wrong.

3. Anything you like.

4. Yes, when they are wrong.

:thumbsup:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
1. The old quiz question, was "Which is the only club, that you can write in lower or upper case, and none of the letters can be filled in". The answer has to be 'Hull City', as the 'A' in 'Hull City AFC' disproves the theory. No argument there -you were wrong.

2. 'Arsenal' is a relic of 'Royal Arsenal' named as the club was, after the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich. They my have dropped the geographical reference, but the club is indisputably named after that place. Again, you're wrong.

3. Anything you like.

4. Yes.

Okay you win. I apologise. I'm sorry. You're right.

:wink:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

2. 'Arsenal' is a relic of 'Royal Arsenal' named as the club was, after the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich. They my have dropped the geographical reference, but the club is indisputably named after that place. Again, you're wrong.

3. Anything you like.

4. Yes.

Careful, judging by his recent posts I think he's off his meds at the moment.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Careful, judging by his recent posts I think he's off his meds
at the moment.

When oh when, will you get over me?

Do you know anything about Football Nibble, or is this all you do on here?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here