Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now the travellers are in Withdean Park!

I think you need to be careful how you use the word general, as I am sure most travelers, as annoying as you may find them, dont do any of these 3 things I think its more that you find them an annoyance.

EVERY time, without exception, when the travelers rock up in Burgess Hill the local shops are stripped, This summer the big Tesco even resorted to locking down all it's cosmetics after having the shelves emptied. They were parked up on the Industrial Estate about 50 meters from our office, every morning there were piles of human excrement behind the hedge leading to our office door.

Curiously coincidental were the piles of garden waste left in car parks.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So only "nice" words on NSC in future that have passed the PC brigade's check. Oh well.

If you are willing to pay Bozza the £8,000 a year it costs to run the board we can then use whatever language you wish, as Google Adwords can be abandoned.

Are you willing to do that?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
EVERY time, without exception, when the travelers rock up in Burgess Hill the local shops are stripped, This summer the big Tesco even resorted to locking down all it's cosmetics after having the shelves emptied. They were parked up on the Industrial Estate about 50 meters from our office, every morning there were piles of human excrement behind the hedge leading to our office door.

Curiously coincidental were the piles of garden waste left in car parks.

Can also confirm coincidental thefts from the stables up in Mile Oak (including actual horses) at times when travellers are in the area. Also in my teenage years working at Sainsbury's they used to park at the back of the car park for a week or so, send their kids in to steal and the security guards would do absolutely nothing to stop them. "Do you want to go over there?" was the response I got when asking about it. It wasn't even a secret. They didn't even try. They just walked in, picked stuff up and walked out. I've never seen anything like it!

Oh and last year my parents next door neighbour (85) was charged 400 quid to have her tiny driveway powerwashed by two nice men in a white transit van.

Now I'm not saying that EVERY new-age, nomadic fellow is a thieving scumbag. Not by any means. I'm sure some of them are lovely, warm-hearted, law abiding, tax paying citizens just trying to eek out a living... but a lot of them seem to really do a fantastic job of meeting their stereotype whenever I've come across them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Its about a tougher stance so that they move to more friendly areas so that the council do not have to start any legal process.

'Togher stance'? 'Friendly areas'? You're still talking nonsense.

This administration - along with all administrations - takes the legal route regarding disruption, eviction and so on.

'Tougher stance' has no meaning in this instance.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
'Togher stance'? 'Friendly areas'? You're still talking nonsense.

This administration - along with all administrations - takes the legal route regarding disruption, eviction and so on.

'Tougher stance' has no meaning in this instance.

You obviously have a closed opinion so will stop here

SAC

May 21, 2014

I really can't be doing with all this "PC gone mad" stuff, which in reality, barely exists outside the imagination of the tabloid press.

I think we can see that it exists within the imagination of quite a few people on here too.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think you need to be careful how you use the word general, as I am sure most travelers, as annoying as you may find them, dont do any of these 3 things I think its more that you find them an annoyance.

I think you should be more careful when showing your naivety.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Two types in my experience. Older style travellers who get about on pony & trap, sell bits and pieces they made or found, very common in Surrey for some reason. Always clip cloppin' past my window in their traps, always wave, generally nice folk.

Then there's the ones who have homes in Ireland and travel here in Audi's , range rovers etc to spend the summer on a crime spree at our expense, leave crap everywhere and then eff off back home to their 4 bedroom semi. This lit should be locked up for the summer routinely.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
edna krabappel;6562620) I really can't be doing with all this "PC gone mad" stuff said:
But it does exist everywhere you turn, doesn't it:
- can't tell the old jokes about the Irish, the Scots, the Poles
- Can't use a raft of terms to describe foreigners, handicapped people, etc
- can't call people fat
- golliwogs are now unacceptable collectors' items

There are hundreds of examples of words and phrases you can no longer use because of political correctness, so to say it barely exists outside the imagination of the tabloid press is just not true.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Have a read of this:

"A gardener is thought to have made legal history after being convicted of racially aggravated harassment for using the word ‘pikey’."

http://metro.co.uk/2007/12/13/pikey-is-now-a-race-hate-word-583752/

The man concerned assaulted a bouncer and abused a manageress. The "racially aggravated" part of the conviction was for use of "pikey". The case was heard in 2007; 7 years ago. There are other convictions out there - try googling?

Whether you like it or not, "pikey" has been determined by various Courts throughout England and Wales as having an illegal racial element.

It is for this reason that it's not allowed on NSC. As Edna says, feel free to post it on your own website/FB page.

He want not just convicted for saying the said word only was he?
he was drunk and hurling abuse at a manageress and punching a bouncer at the club.

Millwall fan Gary O'Neill cleared over 'pikey' chanting at Priestfield.
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/exclusive-millwall-fan-gary-on-a87428/
Im sure we have been over this once before
hmm.gif

The word pikey is not racist nor is it illegal it is a nickname for a traveling group or our friends up the road.
Any one who has been convicted and there are very few had other elements to the convictions.
If the mods wanted the title change due to it MIGHT be offensive then fair enough.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
He want not just convicted for saying the said word only was he?
he was drunk and hurling abuse at a manageress and punching a bouncer at the club.

Millwall fan Gary O'Neill cleared over 'pikey' chanting at Priestfield.
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/exclusive-millwall-fan-gary-on-a87428/
Im sure we have been over this once before
hmm.gif

The word pikey is not racist nor is it illegal it is a nickname for a traveling group or our friends up the road.
Any one who has been convicted and there are very few had other elements to the convictions.
If the mods wanted the title change due to it MIGHT be offensive then fair enough.

As I clearly said, "pikey" was the "racially aggravated" element of his conviction. Without the use of that word, there would have been no "racially aggravated" element. :shrug:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't get why people find it so hard to just not use certain words. What are the negative consequences of saying Racist words. Well, Bozza could get in legal strife, you could get in legal strife, NSC could get shut down , NSC could get it's advertising funding removed, in the real world it could highly offend someone, it could get you beaten up, it could get you arrested, it could see you lose your job and on and on.
What are the negative consequences of simply not saying the word? Absolutely none.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Further to my last, can we still use the term "Do as you likey"?

Thanks in advance

Tweedy O'Nibble

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't get why people find it so hard to just not use certain words. What are the negative consequences of saying Racist words. Well, Bozza could get in legal strife, you could get in legal strife, NSC could get shut down , NSC could get it's advertising funding removed, in the real world it could highly offend someone, it could get you beaten up, it could get you arrested, it could see you lose your job and on and on.
What are the negative consequences of simply not saying the word? Absolutely none.

Well, quite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here