Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notice for intended prosecution

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
this is, to be blunt, total bollocks.
You are required by law to provide (or be able to prove you tried to find out) the name of the driver. Penalties are clearly set down and if you ignore it or do not properly comply, you are likely to be found guilty and fined.

nonsense- i have done it many times. show me in the law that stats you gave to sign anything? yes, say it was you, but dont sign it. they will scare you with false (corporate threats) - but as you are not "in" the corporate contract (as you have not signed) - it will fall apart.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
What principles are you exactly talking about here ? He got done for speeding, end of story. Pay the fine or take the coarse.

if you live your life as a man in this world and are happy to pay a fine and years of increased insurance for doing 37 in a 30 then thats your look out. i have principles rooted in common sense.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nonsense- i have done it many times.

you must have a lot of points on your licence, or lost it by now. not sure you understand, you dont need to be in court for speeding, they will apply the conviction it in your absence.

and your "principles" dont stand for much if you keep on speeding.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

if you live your life as a man in this world and are happy to pay a fine and years of increased insurance for doing 37 in a 30 then thats your look out. i have principles rooted in common sense.

19427d1230340804-ocala-6-yr-old-child-christmas-bicycle-hit-car-christmas-bike-accident.jpg

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
nonsense- i have done it many times. show me in the law that stats you gave to sign anything? yes, say it was you, but dont sign it. they will scare you with false (corporate threats) - but as you are not "in" the corporate contract (as you have not signed) - it will fall apart.

I'll tell you what happens if you ignore or refuse to pay.
1. Notice of intended prosecution sent
2. Summons for failing to supply drivers information
3. Proved in absence. Fined £350 (on basis of assumed weekly income) plus £85 costs and 15 victim surcharge. 6 points added to license (if 6 or more points already on it, then summonsed for possible disqualification).
4. Summons sent for unpaid fines.
5. Warrant (may be backed by bail, may not) issued for non-appearance in the fines court.
6. Committal to prison for non payment of fines.

that's what happens in the real world and I speak from experience of 6 years on the bench.
All this about "corporate contracts" is a load of old cobblers and I can assure you of one thing, if you ignore the courts they dont just "forget about it" and eventually you come up the steps in handcuffs.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Got nicked doing 80 on the Fontwell by-pass last July visiting my folks.
Got offerred the speed awareness course, and had the option of taking it up in West Yorkshire rather than in West Sussex, and it was £10 cheaper (£75 compared to £85). Basically a series of video clips and discussions on speed and safe road awareness, consequences etc. Not patronising or any feeling of being made to feel a bad boy by the presenters (who where all advanced driving instructors not old bill).

Has made me think more about speeding and gaps to car in front a lot more now.

If you have the option, take it.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Got nicked doing 80 on the Fontwell by-pass last July visiting my folks.
Got offerred the speed awareness course, and had the option of taking it up in West Yorkshire rather than in West Sussex, and it was £10 cheaper (£75 compared to £85). Basically a series of video clips and discussions on speed and safe road awareness, consequences etc. Not patronising or any feeling of being made to feel a bad boy by the presenters (who where all advanced driving instructors not old bill).

Has made me think more about speeding and gaps to car in front a lot more now.

If you have the option, take it.

The irony is that you may well be keeping to the speed limits, but you will have some idiot like Brunswick up your arse trying to exercise his "principles rooted in common sense"

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Do not juist ignore it my niece moved and didnt receive any follow up letters and just forgot about it and a couple of weeks ago she was stopped on a roadside check and was told her licence had been recinded 3 years ago due to failure to answer the letters . She is now been prosecuted for Driving without a licence, No Insurance plus the original speeding ticket. She will possibly win the day with her reasonable excuse but it is still a lot of bother.

How can not informing DVLA when moving house of which is a legal requirement be deemed as a "reasonable excuse", i would say they have got her banged to rights.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Do not confuse a crime with a tort. Contracts, whether corporate [means between 2 businesses] or private individuals can be remidied in County Courts for breach etc. [failing to do what you promised /agreed]. This is called "sueing".

If you commit a crime [break the law = exceeding the speed limit (no matter by how much)], the CSP [Crown Prossecution Service] will summonds you to attend court [initially a Magistrates Court if you intend to plead not guilty or ignore]. Punishment will be issued if you are proven guilty regardless of whether you signed anything. If you don't attend when summonds, punishment will be served in absence.

Then, as HappyPig says - the process begins - ignore at your peril !!

No different, if when interviewed for, say murder, you only ever respond with "no comment". If the evidence is conclusive [witness / foresic / whatever = beyond any shadow of doubt] you're going down. This will be a trial by Jury in the Crown Court.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Instead of talking bollocks please explain how the law and "corporate contracts" have any connection other than civil law ?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Two people have suggested pepipoo but both have posted links to the home page rather than the right forum. This is the forum where you read the sticky threads at the top beforehand and then follow the guidance to post your own case:

FightBack Forums -> Speeding and other Criminal Offences

Pepipoo also has a great Council Parking Ticket appeal forum (almost all posters get off) and a Private 'tickets' forum which obviously tells everyone to ignore those crappy fake PCNs. But as this is a Police Speeding ticket you do need to take it seriously and I would post your query on that link.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I'd like to pint out that I failed ( quite rightly too ) my first driving test for speeding.
My examiner said that I could've killed someone with the extra speed I was doing.
I was doing 33 in a 30.
Annoyed me for ages ( until I passed my test second time )

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
If you genuinely dont remember who was driving, go back and say that. If there are more than one named drivers on the insurance and you can show why you dont know who it was - ie you both go through that area in the car etc then it becomes up to them to provide the evidence to prosecute, Dont ignore it, but fight it if you are not sure. If they then show a photo with you/your wife in the car then fine, do the course or take the points. Good luck.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Sad how many muppets on here are happy to talk up their disrespect for the law and show conspicuously little remorse or recognition that speeding is dangerous. Don't give me that it was 'only 10% over the limit' bollocks - you got got caught which already shows your road awareness leaves a lot to be desired - or you knew but just couldn't care which speaks volumes too. I wonder how many of these would be honest enough to admit to speeding whilst over the drink/drive limit and/or under the influence of other substances.

I spent an awful lot of time over the last 30+ years dealing with the aftermath of road collisions and saw at first hand the often completely unnecessary grief this causes. Invariably it is the innocent punter coming the other way who is the victim of such arrogance.

Often it is young inexperienced drivers who sadly think they know it all but there are too many experienced drivers who should know better but have become complacent about speed. Amazing how many drivers with a Billy Big Bollocks attitude (but not all) are cut down to size when it finally dawns on them at the scene of a collision what they have caused, get reduced to tears and literally piss their pants at the side of the road when they realise they have f****d up their own and maybe others lives plus their dependants. In a split second you become defendant / bereaved / deceased or any permutation of these. Shame they didn't think before speeding and ask themselves whether a journey taking a couple of minutes less was worth the risk?

It would be refreshing to read a few more posts on here where drivers stick their hands up when caught and take the pain of the points or course and will look to improve their attitude and driving style in future.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
This thread is quite funny in that most of those who profess to know the most, know very little. It just goes to show that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I hope nobody has actually acted upon some of this laughable advice.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
If your notification is more than 14 days after the offence it and you challenge it, it will be dropped.
From personnel experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here