Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notice for intended prosecution

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
another way is say it was you - admit it, but dont sign anything - this way it all falls apart.

THERE IS NO LAW STATING YOU HAVE TO SIGN ANYTHING> once you do - you enter a corporate contract.

FFS - please explain how signing an official legal document to do with SPEEDING makes you enter a corporate contract which would be purely a CIVIL matter ?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
If it is a rear facing camera it is very difficult if not impossible to tell who the driver is.I got a picture when my wife was driving down the A24 into Worthing.Couldn't see a thing.
As others have said,take the course if you can.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
I NOW believe it was actually most likely the wife who was driving. BUT as all our money is in the same pot it does not make a great deal of difference. This month ( For the first time since I got my first job )...... again nearly 20 years. We were looking like actually having money left in the account at the end of the month. YEP - 1st time ever. OK OK , I am crap with money. BUT then these fine police folk decide to land this on the mat. Can they see our bank accounts or something. Do they sit there and go .... oh look at Mr and Mrs Smith they have money lets do them this week. BLOODY ANNOYING. Have they not got better things to do , like finding stolen IPADS.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Some advice :
1. Don't ignore it. You will likely be charged with failing to supply drivers details. That's 6 points. You are required to apply "due diligence" to discovering who was driving. That means asking people (in this case your wife) if it was them and if they can check things like diaries etc.
2. With regard to camera calibration; you could challenge the evidence on the basis that the camera is faulty but you would need to supply driver details (otherwise you fall under item 1 above). You would need to plead Not Guilty, go to trail and prove, at trial, that the camera was faulty. Might work, might not. Whatever, you will be liable for prosecution costs in the region of £600 if found guilty. You would also have to pay a fine equivalent to a weeks wages.
3. You are entitled to "full disclosure" of prosecution evidence. If this means that you need to see the picture to determine who is driving then you are entitled to see it. I have heard tell of some Camera Partnerships that are reluctant to send photos unless the matter goes to court.

I would advise you to write back to the issueing office (Is it shoreham ?) and tell them that you cannot remember but that it was either you or your wife and request they send you a copy of the photo so you can try and determine which.
If they refuse to send you the photo, it may be worth consulting a solicitor to get qualified legal advice.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
another way is say it was you - admit it, but dont sign anything - this way it all falls apart.

THERE IS NO LAW STATING YOU HAVE TO SIGN ANYTHING> once you do - you enter a corporate contract.

this is, to be blunt, total bollocks.
You are required by law to provide (or be able to prove you tried to find out) the name of the driver. Penalties are clearly set down and if you ignore it or do not properly comply, you are likely to be found guilty and fined.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Tell them you're not accepting anything until Tom gets his iPad back.

*Disclaimer - This may or may not work*

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I NOW believe it was actually most likely the wife who was driving. BUT as all our money is in the same pot it does not make a great deal of difference. This month ( For the first time since I got my first job )...... again nearly 20 years. We were looking like actually having money left in the account at the end of the month. YEP - 1st time ever. OK OK , I am crap with money. BUT then these fine police folk decide to land this on the mat. Can they see our bank accounts or something. Do they sit there and go .... oh look at Mr and Mrs Smith they have money lets do them this week. BLOODY ANNOYING. Have they not got better things to do , like finding stolen IPADS.

Just a minute. Are you now blaming the Police for your speeding. If you had killed a child, would that be their fault too?

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just a minute. Are you now blaming the Police for your speeding. If you had killed a child, would that be their fault too?

Oh christ. There is always one.
I think I mentioned that it was likely the wife. Am I blaming the police for her speeding ? No...... but how am I to prove that she was or was not speeding. Of course we have to take their word for it that their equipment is calibrated correctly. I also understand there have been cases where cloned cars ( number plates ) have detected the equipment and it has not been the owner of the actual vehicle.

WHAT I AM SAYING HOWEVER IS THAT IN MY OPINION POLICE RESOURCE WOULD BE BETTER SUITED TO OTHER THINGS. NOT SENDING OUT FINES FOR 7 MPH OR NOT HAVING A SEATBELT ON.

When your house gets robbed or your car stolen and they turn up and give you a crime reference number and then do f*** ALL else. THEN you will know what I mean.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do not juist ignore it my niece moved and didnt receive any follow up letters and just forgot about it and a couple of weeks ago she was stopped on a roadside check and was told her licence had been recinded 3 years ago due to failure to answer the letters . She is now been prosecuted for Driving without a licence, No Insurance plus the original speeding ticket. She will possibly win the day with her reasonable excuse but it is still a lot of bother.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Smash someone's face in on West Street = Caution
37mph in a 30mph zone = fine and points.

:glare:

Either one could kill someone and in answer to Tummy Burger, I have been burgled, and yes, the police did catch them and they got sent down.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I have been driving for about ten years without problem then last year all of a sudden I got three of these beauties in 3 months all from sneaky mobile camera units.
Yes I was speeding (a little bit) but now I have steep insurance premiums and 9 points, and I have still never had an accident nor hit anybody. I haven't broken other laws, it all seems quite unfair.
If it was a mobile speed unit which snapped you, be very careful because the will come back and it will be after a few days of not being there or just down the road a bit, and they will get you again.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I did the speed awareness course a couple of years ago after getting caught doing 37 in a 30 limit. The course was slightly more expensive than paying the fine but you get no points, it took a morning, you watch some videos, look at a PowerPoint style presentation then go driving. The driving is quite interesting as you are asked to do a driving commentary while going along which is trickier than it sounds. You get a review of how good your driving is and where you can improve but there is no pass or fail, you just have to do the course.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
I got caught on a fixed camera doing 34MPH in Shoreham as I had just brought the car from a friend he got a letter for the points. All he did was write back saying I have sold the car so dont know who was driving we have never heard anything since and that was 3 years ago.

On a different matter I was driving my works van and the owner of the company (KNOB) had not paid the insurance premiums, pulled over 6 points £200 fine I appealed the points has I didnt know that he hadnt paid the premium I got a letter 3 weeks later just saying that if I paid the £200 they would drop the points. Seems all there interested is getting the cash.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Oh christ. There is always one.
I think I mentioned that it was likely the wife. Am I blaming the police for her speeding ? No...... but how am I to prove that she was or was not speeding. Of course we have to take their word for it that their equipment is calibrated correctly. I also understand there have been cases where cloned cars ( number plates ) have detected the equipment and it has not been the owner of the actual vehicle.

WHAT I AM SAYING HOWEVER IS THAT IN MY OPINION POLICE RESOURCE WOULD BE BETTER SUITED TO OTHER THINGS. NOT SENDING OUT FINES FOR 7 MPH OR NOT HAVING A SEATBELT ON.

When your house gets robbed or your car stolen and they turn up and give you a crime reference number and then do f*** ALL else. THEN you will know what I mean.

Exactly my Nans house was burgled she was 87 at the time they only took some jewellery. I went round to comfort her waited for the police to arrive took 1 hour were there for 5 mins. 2 days later they sent forensics round who after 30 mins said they could find no prints or fibres.

Like I said in a previous post REVENUE STREAM, more interested in cashing in than justice it would seem.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
3000 people a year killed on the roads in the uk. That's the equivalent of a Lockerbie plane crash every month so forgive me for not agreeing that it's all about the money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here