Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Not what they thought they were buying- Ashworth and Winstanley

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Looks like there's proof of tapping up. Dan Ashworth has been emailing Berrada (at an INEOS email address) before the formal approach happened. Can't imagine it will stop Ashworth from joining Man Utd, but it gives us more leverage in terms of compensation.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looks like there's proof of tapping up. Dan Ashworth has been emailing Berrada (at an INEOS email address) before the formal approach happened. Can't imagine it will stop Ashworth from joining Man Utd, but it gives us more leverage in terms of compensation.
I had to stop and think there when I read 'us'. OK, you mean Newcastle. I hadn't realized you were short of money :shrug:

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I had to stop and think there when I read 'us'. OK, you mean Newcastle. I hadn't realized you were short of money :shrug:
It's not about the money, not really (aside from the boost it will give to our PSR envelope). It's more about showing that we're no longer a club that will roll over when a bigger club wants something from us. Not just Ashworth, but players too. All we've heard for the past few weeks is how Arsenal should buy Isak, as if all they need do is ask. We're not that club any more.

While I'm here, how do you lot feel about RDZ leaving, and do you have someone in line to replace him?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's more about showing that we're no longer a club that will roll over when a bigger club wants something from us. Not just Ashworth, but players too.
I agree, you now have strong owners who take no nonsense against those going against them.

Like journalists

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's not about the money, not really (aside from the boost it will give to our PSR envelope). It's more about showing that we're no longer a club that will roll over when a bigger club wants something from us. Not just Ashworth, but players too. All we've heard for the past few weeks is how Arsenal should buy Isak, as if all they need do is ask. We're not that club any more.

While I'm here, how do you lot feel about RDZ leaving, and do you have someone in line to replace him?
There are probably only 20 other threads on it on NSC ( :lolol: ) but, to sum up, a) conflicted and b) no.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Fair enough.

There are several threads on this so I won't elaborate but we seem to be sanguine, and trust the board to find someone decent :thumbsup:

(You will appreciate that your club is not one of our favourites, owing to your owners and all that)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Sounds like heads will roll - have your owners started this sort of mid season event yet

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I’m not quite as ready to crow just yet. Please remember that three of our four most recent signings are:

Igor
Dahoud
Fati (loan)

We have Barco to balance that out, and we can claim that it was RDZ’s fault that we signed the three above, but we still sanctioned and paid for those deals.

The people who’ve left may not know our current targets, but there’ll have been a few where the previous recruitment team were in the know about our interest, and I wouldn’t put it past either Chelsea or Newcastle to make additions to their academy.

In short, the reason we remain attractive to young players is the higher chance of first team football at an earlier stage of their career than other clubs. That hasn’t gone with Winstanley/Ashworth et al, but we won’t be competing with Chelsea on the wages we can offer young talent, so we’ll miss out on some.

Ashworth was hired for his organisational skills, not to recreate Brighton at Newcastle, he’ll do the same for Manchester United. He’s worth hiring.

It’s Chelsea who have tried to buy our talent pipeline, and they’ll have some success, some failure. As others have pointed out, when are new arrivals going to play if the squad is already stuffed with early 20s galacticos? They’ll hoover up any youngsters who value their wage now over their chance of progression to the Chelsea first team though.

Depressingly, lots will prioritise money over odds of progression to the Chelsea first team, reasoning that they don’t care if their progression is at their parent team or out on loan, and they’ll either make it at Chelsea or somewhere else, and get handsomely rewarded while doing it. I think we agree that the Chelsea academy is highly regarded? It’s far from a dead end even if they don’t end up playing for Chelsea.

TLDR - we’re still an attractive prospect, but we can’t rest on our laurels.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I’m not quite as ready to crow just yet. Please remember that three of our four most recent signings are:

Igor
Dahoud
Fati (loan)

We have Barco to balance that out, and we can claim that it was RDZ’s fault that we signed the three above, but we still sanctioned and paid for those deals.

The people who’ve left may not know our current targets, but there’ll have been a few where the previous recruitment team were in the know about our interest, and I wouldn’t put it past either Chelsea or Newcastle to make additions to their academy.

In short, the reason we remain attractive to young players is the higher chance of first team football at an earlier stage of their career than other clubs. That hasn’t gone with Winstanley/Ashworth et al, but we won’t be competing with Chelsea on the wages we can offer young talent, so we’ll miss out on some.

Ashworth was hired for his organisational skills, not to recreate Brighton at Newcastle, he’ll do the same for Manchester United. He’s worth hiring.

It’s Chelsea who have tried to buy our talent pipeline, and they’ll have some success, some failure. As others have pointed out, when are new arrivals going to play if the squad is already stuffed with early 20s galacticos? They’ll hoover up any youngsters who value their wage now over their chance of progression to the Chelsea first team though.

Depressingly, lots will prioritise money over odds of progression to the Chelsea first team, reasoning that they don’t care if their progression is at their parent team or out on loan, and they’ll either make it at Chelsea or somewhere else, and get handsomely rewarded while doing it. I think we agree that the Chelsea academy is highly regarded? It’s far from a dead end even if they don’t end up playing for Chelsea.

TLDR - we’re still an attractive prospect, but we can’t rest on our laurels.
Dahoud and Fati were indeed very poor outcomes..... I'll argue however, that Igor is a decent squad player, not something to be sniffed at, I'll also argue that his performances are not far away from Webster and Dunk... all three are capable of mistakes, as is JPvH... I think Igor is a 6 or 7/10 player imho.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Dahoud and Fati were indeed very poor outcomes..... I'll argue however, that Igor is a decent squad player, not something to be sniffed at, I'll also argue that his performances are not far away from Webster and Dunk... all three are capable of mistakes, as is JPvH... I think Igor is a 6 or 7/10 player imho.

Agreed, and there’s nothing to say a different manager won’t get a tune out of Dahoud even, but there’s no upside to Igor in terms of future market value. Igor is definitely a worthwhile member of the squad, and we were all excited by the prospect of Fati, but in some ways that made the subsequent lack of tearing up trees all the more disappointing.

We survive and live to fight another day.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
It looks like Manure/Ashworth have 2 problems.
1. They tapped up.
2. Ashworth broke a confidentiality clase in the agreement between BHA & NUFC.

Probably wjll be wrapped up in a deal to pay NUFC's original compensation wish. Tribunal would probably say the market rate is the amount NUFC paid BHA,

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Ashworth claiming he was put on gardening leave before he handed in his notice. Could argue that its a breach of contract and go early for free.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

1. Disappointed but it had to be done.
2. Eddie Howe.
3. And he can bring that lad Tonali with him as there's no him point staying if Isak's left for Arsenal.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Ashworth claiming he was put on gardening leave before he handed in his notice. Could argue that its a breach of contract and go early for free.

I've seen Man Utd fan accounts spin this as great for their side and Newcastle accounts spin it as great for us.

From my point of view, the email to Berrada predates his gardening leave and he broke confidentiality. It's tapping up. So why would Newcastle acquiesce to their lowball demands?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here