Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Not what they thought they were buying- Ashworth and Winstanley

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
So Newcastle and Chelsea have now had the supposedly top tier of our recruitment team for a while , do you think that their respective owners have realised yet that they did not buy what they thought they were getting, and that while they have obtained the undoubted expertese of the two, they certainly havent gained the detailed knowledge of our operation and certainly not the now infamous algorithums that Star Lizard use

Chelseas recruitment in particular seems the exact opposite of what Brighton do, and any thoughts of them "hijacking" potential targets seems to have receeded as they have gone all in for the big name mega bucks approach

Newcastles recruitment seems more thought through and buying for the manager, but again they do not appear to have gone for the same type of player we do (buy now ready develop for playing first team in 12-18 months)

I was concerned when Winstanley, Ashworth et al went, more than players and management/coaching -who are more transitory by the nature of the job,

I am starting to understand the "we are not concerned" attitude shown by Barber and Bloom last year more and more

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Chavs have abandoned Winstanley principles within weeks. Instead doing a PSG or Citeh on steroids.

They may still like to think that there’ll be a secondary stream of first teamers, by copying and raiding our Caicedo, Estupinan, Mitoma links. But how the hell are promising players going to be given a run, when Boehly’s packing the huge squad with ‘galactico’s’?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Newcastles recruitment seems more thought through and buying for the manager, but again they do not appear to have gone for the same type of player we do (buy now ready develop for playing first team in 12-18 months)

I
the lad from West Ham that Newcastle got seems to be fairly astute signing , 21 year old

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Absolutely correct. And this is precisely why I was so astonished and disappointed when Potter left, because it was obvious that his unique qualities - the ability to mould an egalitarian team of level headed players subordinate to his vision - would be the polar opposite of what would be happening at Chelsea. (Boehly wanted to sign Ronaldo at one point remember - wonder what Graham thought of that!) Potter is such an intelligent individual that he must have realised what he was letting himself in for, and so the only conclusion possible is that it really was simply about the money, and his decision was that the huge material rewards were more important that the fact that the appointment was a risk which may set his career back years.

Of course, he may be able to adapt and get it right. In any case the ridiculous money spaffed by Chelsea during the last transfer window is part of a process which increasingly sees Chelsea, and the PL in general, becoming the subject of huge resentment in the rest of the world for the ludicrous financial imbalance it brings to the global game. We stand to reap so much goodwill for Bloom's stance re Caicedo, and we will reap more the more we defy the 'Top 7's bloated, entitled attitude.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Newcastle are recruiting well. Despite being megarich they are bringing in players who will help them stay in the European places whilst moving out the players that started in the team that yoyed between the divisions. Pope, Trippier, Botman, Burn, Targett, Guimaraes, Izak, Gordon are all good signings, and they're managing to ship out of the deadwood, like Shelvey, Chris Wood, Hayden, Hendrick, Clark.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
wouldnt dismiss them too quickly, they may make the difference in filtering out those that the algo select, or getting a deal over the line.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I think Newcastle are recruiting well. Despite being megarich they are bringing in players who will help them stay in the European places whilst moving out the players that started in the team that yoyed between the divisions. Pope, Trippier, Botman, Burn, Targett, Guimaraes, Izak, Gordon are all good signings, and they're managing to ship out of the deadwood, like Shelvey, Chris Wood, Hayden, Hendrick, Clark.
When the Saudis bought Toon everyone assumed they’d do what Boehly has done and just chuck large amounts of money around. Instead they seem to have been quite canny so far.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
When was the last time we bought an established Premier League player. They're playing checkers and Bloom is playing 4D chess.
Probably why they’re in a League Final final and good chance of champions league, and we lost to Charlton and somewhere between 6th-10th 😂

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Ashworth is about the top tier in his position . Was before he joined us and still is. We are reaping benefits of how he changed our structure. Newcastle seem to be going about their change to a big side pretty well. They are just fishing in a bigger pond than us.

Chelsea looks like it’ll collapse in a heap unless they get immediate success.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Actually what's going on Chelsea is, I'd argue, being slightly misread. Forget about the fees etc. The reality is that almost ALL of the signings they've made have been in the age bracket we would sign. So essentially they've just signed the absolutely elite picks of any lists they would have had here. There's no doubt, if they don't bankrupt themselves, they're going to be an INCREDIBLE team in a few years. As much as it pains me to say it.
They haven't gone out and bought Neymar etc. They've signed players specifically on an upward curve. Let's be honest here, a lot of those signings are relatively unheard of.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Newcastle are going to reap the restructuring benefits Ashworth brings to a club, there's no doubt, just as we're doing, but they've still spent c.£270m in transfers since taking over, with nothing coming in from sales. They've been astute signings for the most part, but I expect players like Guimares are going to be on wages we could only dream of offering. They maybe going about their changes in an organised manner, but if it wasn't for the huge input of money from the Saudis they wouldn't have been able to do it.

Chelsea, christ knows. Its just hilarious watching the ongoing car crash.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Actually what's going on Chelsea is, I'd argue, being slightly misread. Forget about the fees etc. The reality is that almost ALL of the signings they've made have been in the age bracket we would sign. So essentially they've just signed the absolutely elite picks of any lists they would have had here. There's no doubt, if they don't bankrupt themselves, they're going to be an INCREDIBLE team in a few years. As much as it pains me to say it.
They haven't gone out and bought Neymar etc. They've signed players specifically on an upward curve. Let's be honest here, a lot of those signings are relatively unheard of.
An interesting way of looking at it and I suppose it could be correct. The gamble is putting these players on such long contracts that if they do turn out to be duds, they wont be bale to do anything with them.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Newcastle have been fairly astute and I would say a bit under the radar. Chelsea are just engaged in a massive exercise in willy waving. Ooh look that left back is getting a lot of attention, let's buy him for stupid money. Everyone says his manager knows what he's doing let have him and his team as well. We need to get Mudryk, let's "blow Arsenal out of the water". Ooh Fernández, Only £107m, bargain! So how many points do we get for spending 10 times as much as anyone else? What does that do to our goal difference?

I recall when Malcolm Allison was manager of Man City with his ridiculous hat and big cigars. Spending silly money on players (in those days it was multiples of £100k!!). There was a joke doing the rounds where he goes into a tobacconist and asks "how much is that cigar" "£5" says the man behind the counter. "I'll give you £10 for it". The funny thing is you can't think of 2 more different characters than Potter and Allison.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you think ashworth or winstanley care ?!

They've trebled / quadrupled their salaries and have an easy job
Ashworth seems to be guiding Newcastle, Winstanley is caught up in a signing storm that he probably has no influence on

Newcastle plucked the jewel imo

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Ashworth's role is slow-burn, I'm sure, including sorting out the academy.

If you recall, Newcastle wouldn't promote kids into the first team during the Covid years, sometimes leaving an empty place on the bench.

It looked like cheating (they got games postponed until after the transfer window open) but I think their kids really are crap.

Their U23 team is currently struggling in PL2 Div 2, behind WBA, Boro, Norwich etc.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Absolutely correct. And this is precisely why I was so astonished and disappointed when Potter left, because it was obvious that his unique qualities - the ability to mould an egalitarian team of level headed players subordinate to his vision - would be the polar opposite of what would be happening at Chelsea. (Boehly wanted to sign Ronaldo at one point remember - wonder what Graham thought of that!) Potter is such an intelligent individual that he must have realised what he was letting himself in for, and so the only conclusion possible is that it really was simply about the money, and his decision was that the huge material rewards were more important that the fact that the appointment was a risk which may set his career back years.

Of course, he may be able to adapt and get it right. In any case the ridiculous money spaffed by Chelsea during the last transfer window is part of a process which increasingly sees Chelsea, and the PL in general, becoming the subject of huge resentment in the rest of the world for the ludicrous financial imbalance it brings to the global game. We stand to reap so much goodwill for Bloom's stance re Caicedo, and we will reap more the more we defy the 'Top 7's bloated, entitled attitude.
Hardly egalitarian. We are waving vast sums of money at young kids in poor countries and using our capital to turn a very tidy profit. It’s capitalism pure and simple, so although much cleverer than the Chelsea way let’s not pretend it’s something it isn’t.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Both Newcastle & Chelsea have brought in young attackers who would've been on our radar. Newcastle have bought well and improved their squad with every signing. Chelsea are trying to buy the ideal squad for 2027 and will slowly move on their more experienced players. Ashworth & Winstanley will be making signings based on a different budget but ultimately they were never the defining figure in our set up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here