Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Not trains at all for Brentford.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Looking forward to this Boxing Day football is always a treat a break from the festive activities and the great escape :D
As long as we're not singing the great escape!

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
4 miles in less than an hour ? Walking ? That’s quite a pace you re setting there !

4 miles in 50 mins is a gentle jog…..or an absolute power-walk :lolol:

That’s a fair old pace !
I did a fair bit of road walking last year and averaged out at about 3*5 miles an hour Slower if I went off road
And that would be considered yomping by many

I know, they say the Army can only manage 3 miles in an hour at full marching speed!

I used to do it every game ~50mins.

Clearly [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] you are a person with excellent fitness who likes a moderate walking pace, much like myself, not sure where these other posters are getting the idea that this is quick!

Screenshot 2021-12-21 152120.png

https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/events/training-zone/walking-training-zone/walking-faqs

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its just a write-off, isn't it.

Who in their right mind come late afternoon on Boxing Day, would wish to embark on the absolute MISSION of getting to the Amex and back for an 8pm ko ? By 4pm I will already have been balls-deep in Amstel and mulled wine, then eyeing up a nice Merlot with a Southern Comfort chaser, a roast beef sandwich, a barrel of Twiglets and some cheesy footballs.

By then I'll be so firmly wedged in my armchair that a pack of wild mustangs and five Shane Duffy's spacked out on steroids would not be able haul me from it. As we gently pass the ball from side to side, my Bailey's will lurch dangerously in my hand as I gently drift off into oblivion, eventually waking up in a pool of dribble at around midnight to clock our inevitable dull 0-1 reverse on SSN.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Clearly [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] you are a person with excellent fitness who likes a moderate walking pace, much like myself, not sure where these other posters are getting the idea that this is quick!

View attachment 142963

https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/events/training-zone/walking-training-zone/walking-faqs

This revives memories of the Public Enquiry, when LDC and the NIMBY's were desperately advocating the stadium being built at Sheepcote Valley, as it was apparently "walkable" from Brighton Station.

This did not take into account Naismiths Theory (Google it), which crucially calculates GRADIENT into the equation. A well researched middle-aged woman from 'The Friends of Sheepcote Valley' duly proceeded to drive a cart and horses through the theory that fans could realistically walk from Brighton Station to a stadium at Sheepcote.

Glorious viewing.

el punal

Its just a write-off, isn't it.

Who in their right mind come late afternoon on Boxing Day, would wish to embark on the absolute MISSION of getting to the Amex and back for an 8pm ko ? By 4pm I will already have been balls-deep in Amstel and mulled wine, then eyeing up a nice Merlot with a Southern Comfort chaser, a roast beef sandwich, a barrel of Twiglets and some cheesy footballs.

By then I'll be so firmly wedged in my armchair that a pack of wild mustangs and five Shane Duffy's spacked out on steroids would not be able haul me from it. As we gently pass the ball from side to side, my Bailey's will lurch dangerously in my hand as I gently drift off into oblivion, eventually waking up in a pool of dribble at around midnight to clock our inevitable dull 0-1 reverse on SSN.

Would you care to join the Temperance Society?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

View attachment 142963

12 min miles or thereabouts (4 in 50 mins) would get you comfortably under 24 hours for 100 miles……or easily into the top half of a typical ultra of that distance and a coveted ‘one day’ buckle. It’s a fast walk. 15 min miles is just about ‘moderate’ pace for fittish people. (IMO obviously) :shrug:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

View attachment 142963

I'm sure the BHF have exceptional sources but I don't really agree with them! I'm a relatively fit 50 year old who's done a few long distance walks, 120-150 miles. I would usually assuming level and good terrain to be going at just over 3 miles per hour. If there are steep ascents and descents, it's going to be slower than that. That's in the right gear and with the other half who can easily keep up. If you're doing 4 miles in under and hour wearing clothes that have kept you warm while sitting still for 2 hours, you're going to be sweating like Laurence Fox in a mosque by the time you get there!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Only 500ish tickets available so assume club have sold 30k plus tickets

Just checked and this is correct. Also show Brentford only taking up 1700/2000 seats.
This means they will anounce at 21:40 on Boxing Day an attendance of at least 30,000 whilst the cameras wizz around a half empty ground.
God help the first Sky presenter to say anything about our bad support.

It's downhill too (apart from Trafalgar Street).

I am a walking guide for a holiday company and gawd knows where the BHF have got their data from. They appear to have mixed up miles for KM/H

Even on flat ground, 2.5 mph or 4km/h is the baseline for good walkers- slower if in on poor terrain/ poor weather conditions/ at night etc.
A strong walker is probably around 3 - 3.5 mph. John Lees may have done better than this in his heyday. Less regular walkers would need 90 mins plus to get out to Falmer, especially with a couple of days@ port and Stilton onboard!

Years ago, in his prime, Botham did a Lands End/ JO'G walk and was averaging 4 mph. No one could keep up with him: he was doing it all day for several weeks! It was amusing watching BBC journalists half running (and failing)to keep up!

The 5 mph for fit "walkers" is absolute tripe - look at how long some amateur marathon runners take to do the 26 miles. Having said that, the top Olympians run about as fast as I can cycle!

I'm sure the BHF have exceptional sources but I don't really agree with them! I'm a relatively fit 50 year old who's done a few long distance walks, 120-150 miles. I would usually assuming level and good terrain to be going at just over 3 miles per hour. If there are steep ascents and descents, it's going to be slower than that. That's in the right gear and with the other half who can easily keep up. If you're doing 4 miles in under and hour wearing clothes that have kept you warm while sitting still for 2 hours, you're going to be sweating like Laurence Fox in a mosque by the time you get there!

Exceptional sources, maybe, but they have still mixed up miles for kilometres. And ignored Naismiths!

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
One of those park (walk) and ride places would be perfect for me. I'm now in the situation of being able to book a couple of spaces (does anyone know how much per seat for walkers?). But if the exchange doesn't open then I would've wasted money. :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just checked and this is correct. Also show Brentford only taking up 1700/2000 seats.
This means they will anounce at 21:40 on Boxing Day an attendance of at least 30,000 whilst the cameras wizz around a half empty ground.
God help the first Sky presenter to say anything about our bad support.

ONLY taking up that number? If only half of that number turned out to be that number, then would rank highly in Best Away Support We Ever Saw. NOBODY needs that shit at 8pm on Boxing Day. Not even SKY subscribers need that shit. Disgusting new low point that benefits absolutely nobody other than the SKY wallahs that just plug and play and enjoy yet another jolly overnighter by the coast. It's all just too easy for them and their expense accounts and their bits on the side at the seaside . Total ****s

el punal

Well, it was more the current surge in covid that I was thinking of. That is what is currently impacting train services. If their aren't sufficient staff available to operate the depots and drive the buses because of positive cases, then it will be very difficult to provide the envisaged level of service.

I alluded to this in a previous post, although it was based on whether staff would want to work on a Boxing Day evening. I would imagine for those working it would be from choice rather than forced. If that is the case I can’t see a huge number volunteering. Chuck in the Covid factor and the result could be a logistical problem of shit storm proportions. The club have done admirably in putting in place park&ride sites but will there be a sufficient number of bodies to ensure that this transport operation runs to plan? I’m afraid I won’t be there (along with thousands of other fans) to find out.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Club are running shuttle buses from Brighton station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well this is an area I admire the club in. They've been put in an impossible situation imo by stupid sky, and I have sympathy for them.

But it'll be carnage if a lot of fans turn up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here