Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Not trains at all for Brentford.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Of course there were plenty who couldn’t come cos it was 8pm on a Boxing Day. But Then why were there so many absentees at Wolves. ? And thanks for comparing me to a sheep.

(And to be clear - I don’t think the game should have been at 8pm on Boxing Day )

You've ignored the point and raised a different one.

Covid rates in East Sussex on the latest available map are 776 per 100K. In every London borough I've checked they are above 1200 and some are over 2000.

Perhaps another evening game just before Christmas, our poor run of form and well advertised lack of players didn't help with Wolves, which was still FAR higher than last night :shrug: . There were also big train issues (yes, part of which is Covid related)

It seems to me that if the Premier League decided there was going to be a round of games kicking off at midnight on a Friday night / Saturday morning in order to show at prime time in the US and raise awareness (i.e. money) there, we'd have a small coterie of fans preparing the wife that the door might be opening at 3am and praising the club for their marvellous efforts in putting on a few more buses for it.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Booked the coach as needed to get back to family but worked very well indeed.
Much better than the boxing day game at Stamford bridge a few seasons ago which was carnage on the roads after.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It seems to me that if the Premier League decided there was going to be a round of games kicking off at midnight on a Friday night / Saturday morning in order to show at prime time in the US and raise awareness (i.e. money) there, we'd have a small coterie of fans preparing the wife that the door might be opening at 3am and praising the club for their marvellous efforts in putting on a few more buses for it.

It makes you wonder sometimes if such a scenario is that far off. Live PL football in the States is becoming huge business with football fans able to see all PL games live including the 3pm KO games which cannot currently be seen in the UK. NBC reportedly paid $2.7 B for the next 6 years rights compared to $1B for the previous 6. The bidders included another major network as well as other media conglomerates. Inconvenient kick off times and rescheduled matches aren't going away anytime soon

https://awfulannouncing.com/soccer/nbc-premier-league-telemundo-six-year-extension.html

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
You do appreciate the transport generally went smoothly because only half the crowd turned up? I’m days of yore, Boxing Day was a bumper crowd, now - because of television - it’s damage limitation. Modern football. Right there.

Agreed about the influence of TV but also in days of yore there was very little other entertainment available and the Goldstone Ground was within walking distance of the majority of Albion fans.
Now with an out of town stadium and a large proportion of our support moved out to the four corners of East and West Sussex and beyond, transport is critical to filling the Amex.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Agreed about the influence of TV but also in days of yore there was very little other entertainment available and the Goldstone Ground was within walking distance of the majority of Albion fans.
Now with an out of town stadium and a large proportion of our support moved out to the four corners of East and West Sussex and beyond, transport is critical to filling the Amex.

Not sure there's a lot more on Boxing Day now is there?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ok if you say so.

The low attendance meant that the transport for last night coped very well, I’m pleased about that tbh.

We won’t know what would have happened with an extra 10k + , and I think this is a fair point.

IF! IF! IF! It didn't happen so why bother speculating?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You've ignored the point and raised a different one.

Covid rates in East Sussex on the latest available map are 776 per 100K. In every London borough I've checked they are above 1200 and some are over 2000.

Perhaps another evening game just before Christmas, our poor run of form and well advertised lack of players didn't help with Wolves, which was still FAR higher than last night :shrug: . There were also big train issues (yes, part of which is Covid related)

Does she really need to know at that time of the night :whistle:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It makes you wonder sometimes if such a scenario is that far off. Live PL football in the States is becoming huge business with football fans able to see all PL games live including the 3pm KO games which cannot currently be seen in the UK. NBC reportedly paid $2.7 B for the next 6 years rights compared to $1B for the previous 6. The bidders included another major network as well as other media conglomerates. Inconvenient kick off times and rescheduled matches aren't going away anytime soon

https://awfulannouncing.com/soccer/nbc-premier-league-telemundo-six-year-extension.html

Sadly l found the need to give you a :thumbsup:

I wish it wasn't so, but l've a feeling that you may just be proved right in the forseeable future.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sadly l found the need to give you a :thumbsup:

I wish it wasn't so, but l've a feeling that you may just be proved right in the forseeable future.

I think we are some way off, the fact we are not even doing a ‘fixture abroad’ or whatever compared to La Liga and NFL is probably the ‘first step’ - but can’t see it happening for a long time

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think we are some way off, the fact we are not even doing a ‘fixture abroad’ or whatever compared to La Liga and NFL is probably the ‘first step’ - but can’t see it happening for a long time

Hmmm l only hope that you are right, l still fear it is more of a case of when as opposed to if though.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Of course there were plenty who couldn’t come cos it was 8pm on a Boxing Day. But Then why were there so many absentees at Wolves. ? And thanks for comparing me to a sheep.

(And to be clear - I don’t think the game should have been at 8pm on Boxing Day )

I have posted on another thread why we didn't do Wolves my daughter and her boyfriend did and caught covid. Do you really need explaining why so many missed Wolves less than 10 days before Christmas, or maybe because you were allowed Christmas last year you don't understand

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I have posted on another thread why we didn't do Wolves my daughter and her boyfriend did and caught covid. Do you really need explaining why so many missed Wolves less than 10 days before Christmas, or maybe because you were allowed Christmas last year you don't understand

No. I don’t and I’m sorry that anyone has missed games this season due to Covid, or being in self isolation or for fear of catching it on the concourse or public transport. I caught Covid earlier this season and missed my first home game for years.
Hope you and your family are now recovered and well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here