Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Not Maguire again !!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Southgate had any self awareness he would not be so stubborn about picking a player who isn’t playing for his club and is being set up for abuse from the fans. It benefits nobody, especially not Maguire at the moment. He is a good player but in a bad place which needs to be sorted at club level before he turns out for England imo.

If he drops Dunk for Maguire for the next match, the abuse will intensify as even non Albion fans were impressed with Lewis the other night.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
When Guy Butters and Johnny Crumplin were getting stick I don't remember either getting their mums involved! And that was from some of us. They knuckled down and perhaps used it as motivation to find form and change people's opinions. Maguire can do likewise and the media can stop trying to ramp up the situation to something it's not. As someone posted earlier it's all a bit typical football pantomime and he needs to ride it out and count his big wages!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I didn't watch the match (work got in the way). From what I've seen of the Southgate interview the sentiment was that in the stadium the england fans supported Maguire. That it was the scotland fans that got on his case, and southgate didn't have a problem with it. As far as I can tell, Southgate's interview was soon after the match, so hardly enough time to see all the online discourse about Maguire's performance.

So why did he bring up the criticism? Now everyone is talking about Maguire and the criticism he receives.

I am perhaps being a bit cynical in thinking that was the point. While some fans are pointing out how Southgate keeps picking a player who isn't getting game time at his club, the general conversation is away from Southgate's poor selection. Is he defending Maguire, or using him as a distraction from Southgate's own failings?
Watched the whole match on TV, and I must say that the impression that I got was that it was England fans making derisory noises every time Maguire got the ball!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
This. I DO feel sorry for Maguire. It's not his fault he's miles past his best and he really needed that West Ham move that collapsed IMO.

Southgate's constant backing is just moronic and unhelpful to the player.
I don't feel sorry for him tbh. Admittedly Southgate - for any number of reasons - shouldnt be picking him but Maguire had a chance to revive his form and focus at West Ham, but turned it out down for what seems to be pure greed.

So what if he was going to be paid a bit less? He's never going to end up busking 'Streets of London' down the nearest Tube Station in his dotage, is he?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When Guy Butters and Johnny Crumplin were getting stick I don't remember either getting their mums involved! And that was from some of us. They knuckled down and perhaps used it as motivation to find form and change people's opinions. Maguire can do likewise and the media can stop trying to ramp up the situation to something it's not. As someone posted earlier it's all a bit typical football pantomime and he needs to ride it out and count his big wages!
Not Butters' Mum no. His WIFE did though...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not disagreeing but I find it very difficult to imagine Southgate ranting. He's a bit like Potter. 🤣
I get what you mean – and it's all relative – but I thought this was probably quite rant-y for GSouth:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I get what you mean – and it's all relative – but I thought this was probably quite rant-y for GSouth:

Yes, I think the comments have really got his dander up!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Apparently It collapsed because he wanted to be paid 6 million more from United, something he is well within his rights for doing so as he is sitting on a contract agreed by all parties.

But I don't feel sorry for him for picking money over getting back to playing football weekly
He does seem to want it both ways. He had a choice (apparently) between football or money. He chose money. Absolutely fair enough, that was his prerogative. But having chosen money he (and Southgate) seem to think that even though football isn't his priority and he's now basically a part-timer absolutely nothing has changed; he's still the player who has 'Never let England down' [TM]

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here