Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Not Maguire again !!!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I find it weird that the player gets criticised. If I got asked to play for England I'd say "yeah go on then. That's something to tell the grandkids"

The fact I would then be god awful and lose the game by myself would not be my fault but the fault of the person who thought I should be picked despite me being 36 and making a "urrghh" noise when I have to reach slightly to my right to get a pen.

He will know he's not playing well but has some self belief that he can turn it round. We lambast players for retiring early of pulling out of squads but then go mad at the guy who could easily phone it in and escape the criticism.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That was a disgrace last night. When Gheui had to go off it was literally served up on a plate for him to bring on Colwill into a PROVEN partnership, it was a f***ing no-brainer, but oh no let’s bring on a player whose confidence must be rock bottom. That wasn’t man-management that was throwing a player to the wolves.
Where does Maguire go from here? I almost feel sorry for him. Southgate is a fraud and an utter bellend to boot.
This. I DO feel sorry for Maguire. It's not his fault he's miles past his best and he really needed that West Ham move that collapsed IMO.

Southgate's constant backing is just moronic and unhelpful to the player.

levs

Jul 10, 2017

Normally can't stand this blokes videos, but for once he actually speaks a lot of sense in this one. Although I disagree that England should have won the World Cup, France and Argentina are better teams. I agree that should have won the Euros though.

Everything he said about Maguire is spot on though, he cant come out and have a pop at everyone criticising Maguire when he is the one who is exposing him unnecessarily. Bringing Colwill on to partner Dunk was a no brainer, and an opportunity to see how he performs at international level.

I like what Southgate has done in terms of creating a positive atmosphere in the England team, and getting them to work hard for each other. But this stubbornness with Maguire, Phillips and Henderson has gone too far for me, he should be making a statement of "if you're not playing top level football you're not getting picked" and not picked any of them. There's plenty of other options who deserve a chance as well.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
For everyone going on Saturday let's not go easy on United about their recent troubles. Don't forget their fans are quite keen on the ' tragedy ' chanting. In particular the media seem to be trying to stoke it up into a ' mental health issue ' with regards to the abuse Maguire is getting. It's nothing of the sort and his mum making statements is pathetic and you'd think he might be embarrassed.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
For everyone going on Saturday let's not go easy on United about their recent troubles. Don't forget their fans are quite keen on the ' tragedy ' chanting. In particular the media seem to be trying to stoke it up into a ' mental health issue ' with regards to the abuse Maguire is getting. It's nothing of the sort and his mum making statements is pathetic and you'd think he might be embarrassed.
saw that , Was good of Maguire to come out and say he can take it as could easily of got everyone to back off if had played that card

He's never let England down so don't get all the criticism . All pantomime though isn't it

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This. I DO feel sorry for Maguire. It's not his fault he's miles past his best and he really needed that West Ham move that collapsed IMO.

Apparently It collapsed because he wanted to be paid 6 million more from United, something he is well within his rights for doing so as he is sitting on a contract agreed by all parties.

But I don't feel sorry for him for picking money over getting back to playing football weekly

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Christ alive his Mum's made a statement? He's one of the most expensive defenders in the world, his price tag isn't justified, he shouldn't be earning what, 200k a week? But he is. He shouldn't be playing for England, but he is.

He is also capable of recognising these things, taking a move to a smaller club out of the spotlight and potentially stepping back from the England team whilst he improves his game. I think we would all respect that.

But no he couldn't possibly do that could he? He can't say no to England. He can't take a pay cut? no no no. He shouldn't have to do anything except turn up play however badly he wants and be adored.

el punal

I have not forgotten a United fan calling me a ‘Brighton knobhead’ at Southampton station last season. Down with this sort of thing. Mind you my little hand gesture of 2-1 (we’d just beaten them at Old Trafford the previous weekend) was my satisfying riposte. :drink:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't watch the match (work got in the way). From what I've seen of the Southgate interview the sentiment was that in the stadium the england fans supported Maguire. That it was the scotland fans that got on his case, and southgate didn't have a problem with it. As far as I can tell, Southgate's interview was soon after the match, so hardly enough time to see all the online discourse about Maguire's performance.

So why did he bring up the criticism? Now everyone is talking about Maguire and the criticism he receives.

I am perhaps being a bit cynical in thinking that was the point. While some fans are pointing out how Southgate keeps picking a player who isn't getting game time at his club, the general conversation is away from Southgate's poor selection. Is he defending Maguire, or using him as a distraction from Southgate's own failings?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I didn't watch the match (work got in the way). From what I've seen of the Southgate interview the sentiment was that in the stadium the england fans supported Maguire. That it was the scotland fans that got on his case, and southgate didn't have a problem with it. As far as I can tell, Southgate's interview was soon after the match, so hardly enough time to see all the online discourse about Maguire's performance.

So why did he bring up the criticism? Now everyone is talking about Maguire and the criticism he receives.

I am perhaps being a bit cynical in thinking that was the point. While some fans are pointing out how Southgate keeps picking a player who isn't getting game time at his club, the general conversation is away from Southgate's poor selection. Is he defending Maguire, or using him as a distraction from Southgate's own failings?
Southgate is no longer persisting with Maguire for football reasons, at all.

He's continuing to back him, because he doesn't want to be seen to have been wrong, and / or he thinks it is reinforcing his own perceived standing as some kind of brilliant man-manager.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
It's all got a bit ridiculous but Southgate has not helped the situation at all. He shouldn't have picked him for the squad, let alone played him, then to top it off he then goes all in defending him to the press. All in all Southgate's decisions have magnified the focus on Maguire to the nth degree. If he had protected him by taking him out of the limelight then no one would be talking about Maguire at all.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I think I heard Southgate ranting about how no player has ever been treated how HM has been by fans. That's complete shite, no? There's a long list of players who have been abused more than him - in the most extreme examples, they've ended up dead FFS!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think I heard Southgate ranting about how no player has ever been treated how HM has been by fans. That's complete shite, no? There's a long list of players who have been abused more than him - in the most extreme examples, they've ended up dead FFS!
Southgate's defence of Maguire makes me think a lot about Trump's comments about himself. Nobody has been more harshly treated, etc etc etc.

Ultimately, it was Southgate who included Maguire in the squad. Southgate who started him against Poland. Southgate who brought him on at half time at Scotland. A better manager would have taken him out of the firing line and not left him exposed. The BEST case scenario in the Scotland game was we keep a clean sheet and he does nothing to embarrass himself. But unfortunately he's become like Abe Simpson, unable to do anything without embarrassing himself.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm not disagreeing but I find it very difficult to imagine Southgate ranting. He's a bit like Potter. 🤣

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here