Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Not convinced about sanchez

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
Really ? I think he’s brilliant with his feet - controls the ball like an outfield player and pings passes (often waiting until the last second so the pressing striker is committed) with either foot very accurately. As for shot stopping, he’s already miles ahead of Ryan.

As for looking nervous, I’m struggling to think any player that looks LESS nervous. He’s cooler than a penguin’s nutsack.

Cooler than a penguin's nutsack :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jul 7, 2003
he looks nervous to me and slightly uncomfortable when getting rid of the ball. I agree he's great at commanding the area, but not sure if he can be a great shot stopper.

Maybe it is you that is nervous when he gets rid of the ball as he is so calm and happy to wait until the last second before pinging passes around. I can't recall seeing a young keeper looking so calm during games so early in his career. The nonchalant way he catches some balls is just ridiculously confident for a rookie keeper. I may not be GPs biggest fan but the decision to go with Sanchez was a very good one.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
. No just sanchez. I think dunk, bissouma, veltman and bloom are all quality. You lot really are laughable with your palace theories. Everytime there's a controversial thread in your eyes, jump on the Palace troll bandwagon with all the sheep.chill people allow freedom of speech

I'm all for freedom of speech but if people abuse that privilege by spouting utter bo11ocks then you should not be surprised to have the pi$$ taken.

Hey everyone, I'm worried that too many people think the world is no longer flat - would be on a par with your opening statement.
Sure there may be a tiny minority who concur while the rest of the planet are convinced you're fishing.

Get a rod!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I’m not convinced about rebel51.

He doesn't fill me with confidence. Hopefully this poster will get better and better with more experience.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
I'm all for freedom of speech but if people abuse that privilege by spouting utter bo11ocks then you should not be surprised to have the pi$$ taken.

Hey everyone, I'm worried that too many people think the world is no longer flat - would be on a par with your opening statement.
Sure there may be a tiny minority who concur while the rest of the planet are convinced you're fishing.

Get a rod!
and you should take it on the chin and not gets so touchy about whatever opinions people have. You complete donut.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I reckon you get positive football fans and negative football fans.

I reckon if you've got more than that you should use the report button function so that all the mods can take a look.

Exactly

The OP could be a young kid of 11 or 12 years old using a parents account and people at clamouring to have him or her ejected from the Board.

Personally I don't think their post has much merit so far but it's his or her opinion and they are perfectly entitled to it

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Exactly

The OP could be a young kid of 11 or 12 years old using a parents account and people at clamouring to have him or her ejected from the Board.

Personally I don't think their post has much merit so far but it's his or her opinion and they are perfectly entitled to it

Or equally someone who watched a lot of football back in the day.

Keepers being good with their feet is a very modern thing. Sanchez has done a great job of commanding his box and we look much better with him than Ryan. But some of his touches last night had me sucking my teeth. I'm not far off 50 and in my day keepers got rid of it.

I suspect it equals out. Alisson for Liverpool has put them in shit a few times but has just popped up with a goal. I bet Sanchez's "goal involvements" will at least equal his errors in his career.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
Or equally someone who watched a lot of football back in the day.

Keepers being good with their feet is a very modern thing. Sanchez has done a great job of commanding his box and we look much better with him than Ryan. But some of his touches last night had me sucking my teeth. I'm not far off 50 and in my day keepers got rid of it.

I suspect it equals out. Alisson for Liverpool has put them in shit a few times but has just popped up with a goal. I bet Sanchez's "goal involvements" will at least equal his errors in his career.
ta people speaking some sense. I don't have opinions to wind people up, they are just genuinely my true feelings.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Personally I think it is an interesting question of how good Sanchez is, really. I mean, I don't really remember him being tested all that much.

Saves a goal keeper makes fall into a range of categories for me:
routine - the sort of save where if they don't make it, it's generally agreed to be a clanger by the keeper
decent - save not made most people would consider it a clanger, but maybe there's scope for an argument for generous people to defend the keeper
good - if he doesn't save it, you agree he could have done better, but it's not so bad it's a clanger
great - iif he doesn't save it, you're complimenting the strike
worldy (brilliant/fantastic the more enthusiastic descriptions) - You're wondering how they saved it, if it's not saved part of you think it's so close if he just stretched a little more, jumped a little bit higher (as opposed to genuinely unsavable shows like West Ham's yesterday).

When we think of the better keepers in the division we think of the great saves they're regularly making. Yes, there are a lot of other aspects to goalkeeping, but just like goalscoring is the primary thing strikers are judged by, shot stopping is the primary thing by which keepers are judged.

When I think of the better keepers in the division (I speak in a general 'of all the keepers in the division, these are the better ones' sense, not a comparative 'the keepers who are better than Sanchez' sense), I tend to think of the saves (usually against us) Emiliano for Villa with his performance with a couple of great saves, bordering on worldy, I think of Pope and De Gea making these great saves.

I can't think of any like that for Sanchez. I can think of a few good saves, aided by (or perhaps misleadingly appearing simplete because of) his size, but no 'how did he save that?!' saves.

But then, I can only think of one for Ryan - the one v Southampton. I think Ryan made a lot of good saves - particularly one v ones, but very rarely were you left feeling 'how did he save that?!'.

It has been frequently noted, particularly this year with the greater focus on the xG stats, how well we restrict our opponents' goal scoring opportunities. This has consequently led to Sanchez, and Ryan before him, having fewer opportunities to produce the worldy saves, or even great ones.

When you look at other metrics - his general composure is very good, he can be more dominant and come and claims things, his distribution needs a bit more consistency I think, but seems to have more options than Ryan (at least it seems like he can kick it further, as well as wide on the halfway, number of clean sheets, communication with/apparent confidence of his defensive line.

For me it's absolutely fair to still have questions, but seems unfair to have no confidence.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
giphy.gif

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sanchez is decent but so is Ryan. The rewriting of history and people making Ryan out to be a rubbish goalkeeper for us is baffling. He was very good

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wouldn't use the words "not convinced" (nor unconvinced) but I can completely understand how someone might ask a question or two about aspects of his game after Saturday.

There were two incidents which I recall surprised me....

The first one was when what seemed quite a routine shot came straight at him and he parried it, rather than catching it. Now I've not watched it back, so it may be the case that the ball was moving in the air and/or he was unsighted and took a safety first approach. But from watching it live, the parry could have put us in danger. Fortunately it didn't.

The second was when he came away from the goal looking to challenge a forward who was coming down the left. He seemed to be a bit indecisive and get caught in no man's land. Again, no harm was done, but on another day it could have led to a goal conceded.

But - he's young, still relatively inexperienced and learning his trade. Mistakes will be made.

It also goes without saying how much stronger and more effective our entire defensive unit has been since he was brought into the side, and that can't just be a coincidence.

Ben Roberts seems to be a well-regarded 'keepers coach and I'm sure any weaknesses in Bobby's game will be worked on and improved every day in training.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wouldn't use the words "not convinced" (nor unconvinced) but I can completely understand how someone might ask a question or two about aspects of his game after Saturday.

There were two incidents which I recall surprised me....

The first one was when what seemed quite a routine shot came straight at him and he parried it, rather than catching it. Now I've not watched it back, so it may be the case that the ball was moving in the air and/or he was unsighted and took a safety first approach. But from watching it live, the parry could have put us in danger. Fortunately it didn't.

The second was when he came away from the goal looking to challenge a forward who was coming down the left. He seemed to be a bit indecisive and get caught in no man's land. Again, no harm was done, but on another day it could have led to a goal conceded.

But - he's young, still relatively inexperienced and learning his trade. Mistakes will be made.

It also goes without saying how much stronger and more effective our entire defensive unit has been since he was brought into the side, and that can't just be a coincidence.

Ben Roberts seems to be a well-regarded 'keepers coach and I'm sure any weaknesses in Bobby's game will be worked on and improved every day in training.

If Sanchez hadn’t come out to challenge the forward, would he have had a clear run on goal and the opportunity to shoot with a one on one though?

I have thought since he first came in that he has some Grobelaar moments in him. When he gets it wrong it’s likely to be catastrophic but that has to be balanced against how many times it takes a goal scoring opportunity away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here