Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Not convinced about sanchez

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
So many errors recently, Ryan got dropped last season for the same reason. Needs some time out of the starting eleven, goalkeeper on loan in January for the rest of the season?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So many errors recently, Ryan got dropped last season for the same reason. Needs some time out of the starting eleven, goalkeeper on loan in January for the rest of the season?

How does dropping a young player to bench warm help their development ? Trust the coaches on this one…

did anyone notice we had TWO GOALIES on the bench!/ Maybe Potter tactic to suggest Sanchez is guaranteed to play?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I’m not sure Ryan got dropped because of mistakes. He was going through a phase of conceding almost every shot on goal but a fair few were unsaveable. He was dropped because he couldn’t dominate the box meaning our centre backs had to protect him rather than concentrating on their own jobs. When there is such a massive deficiency in your games, you need shipping out ASAP - he was.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, we've simply got to stop those hatfulls of goals he's letting in every week.......................... 16 goals in 15 PL matches just isn't acceptable!

He’s been making regular mistakes for quite a while now and I guess he’s only still playing because Potter doesn’t rate the others

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He produced some excellent saves at West Ham and today and earned us those points as much as Maupay did at the other end on that score, but his kicking and passing has been poor in both games.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
He's a good shot stopper, but his passing and decision making are very suspect. For the goal, he should have come out.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Ryan got dropped because he was incapable of stopping shots from going in the net.
Sanchez, on the other hand, remains hard to beat.
His distribution has been off but he’s still well in credit and easily our best option.
On the whole he’s progressing nicely.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Sanchez is obviously lacking a bit of confidence at the moment but is a class keeper.and has only let in on average a goal a game.

He has started to stop coming to claim balls in the area , last season he was coming out and catching the ball past the penalty spot , now he seems routed to the line like Ryan was.. This might have something to do with Duffy playing more as we tend to rely on him clearing most things in the air.

His kicking is a problem though.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Sanchez had such an outstanding season last time, he barely made a mistake, this season he has made a few and they stand out comparatively so it seems like he is having a worse season than he is.

There are just FOUR teams who have conceded less goals than us and three of them are Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City. Wolves are the fourth . I think its safe to say that he is in no danger of being dropped in favour of Steele or Scherpen

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

I don't think Ryan got dropped for making errors, it was more that he was playing at his ceiling. He wasn't making any saves outside of the regulation ones and was limited in dealing with balls into the box.

Sanchez has so much more upside but is still developing, so there will be bumps in the road.

I don't think dropping Sanchez is the right call (especially as Steele is very dodgy) but if the errors continue, we may need to add another senior keeper in the summer.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Any keeper yesterday especially in the first half would have had the jitters. The decision making and execution in front of him at times was disturbing.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sanchez is not the finished article and if anyone thought he would be at this stage they might have been a tad premature.

I like that he stands so big on close range efforts. He reminds me of many of the top recent keepers in the Premier League.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
He's a good shot stopper, but his passing and decision making are very suspect. For the goal, he should have come out.

I don't think its clear he would have got to the ball first if he had come for it. He was right not to risk another red card.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's also worth remembering that he's being asked to play a very difficult role as a sweeper keeper... and he's on the whole extremely good at it.

In this role he's always going to have the odd pass go astray - last couple of games he's had too many of those, and he needs to improve on that... and I'm absolutely certain he will.

Dropping the best young keeper this club has ever had at this crucial period of his development would be utter madness.

This.

Plus signing a new goalkeeper on loan for the rest of the season, what message will that sent out to the likes of Steele and Scherpen? that they aren't good enough either?

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I don't think its clear he would have got to the ball first if he had come for it. He was right not to risk another red card.
Wouldn't have been a red. As he would be going for the ball in the box, which is no longer a red card offence.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He’s absolutely outstanding for his age. Kept us in the game in the second half v West Ham after an iffy couple of moments in the first including the goal and the non-goal. Overall he’s better than Ryan and long term will end up at a much higher level than Ryan (and us, I suspect)

Mendy ****ed up twice yesterday. It happens.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Wasn’t able to watch the game yesterday and mainly followed by refreshing the matchday thread every 5 mins. When I finally got to see the highlights, going off of the skating he was getting on here I was expecting Sanchez to have carelessly passed to an unchallenged Stains player on the edge of our box. Quite surprised to see that all he did was slightly scuff the goal kick such that it still cleared half way easily. There was still a lot for them to do to turn it into a goal scoring chance.

Don’t think there was much he could’ve done with that West Ham goal either. Brilliant delivery with slightly dodgy defending left him with no chance of challenging the header and having to anticipate where the header was going, which is why he was floundering at fresh air at the near post.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Sanchez is going to be absolutely brilliant. No doubt he's going through some teething troubles at this stage, which I think is a by product of how easily he took to the premier league - perhaps a little bit of over confidence seeping in? Most players seem to have a 'difficult second season', seems to be an oft - repeated thing, Sanchez having his. But he will become an absolute star at the highest level, I have no doubt of that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here