North stand stewards

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
This is how they protested in Sweden. Sat in silence for the first 10 minutes, then both sets of fans let rip - what a brilliant spectacle.

Programme_seller and seagull on the wing - I suggest you don't watch it as you'll probably wet your Y-fronts at the amout of dangerous rule breaking going on. People having fun??????:nono: Well I never!!!!!!!!!

[yt]N9KFqUz8Jks[/yt]
Brilliant love it.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
This is how they protested in Sweden. Sat in silence for the first 10 minutes, then both sets of fans let rip - what a brilliant spectacle.

Programme_seller and seagull on the wing - I suggest you don't watch it as you'll probably wet your Y-fronts at the amout of dangerous rule breaking going on. People having fun??????:nono: Well I never!!!!!!!!!

[yt]N9KFqUz8Jks[/yt]
Oh! Billy...I get it now....the idea is to go to football matches to have fun...illegal or not. Not to support your team. The clip shown was interesting but what were they protesting about...was it a Bellotti type protest or because of standing ban...do you know ?
PS. I don't wear y-fronts...stick with my boxers thanks.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Thought you said it was acceptable after scoring a goal

Cant have it both ways Mlud
True but think the club have no objection to that...but persistant standing seems to be the issue....I think there should be a standing area but until that is bought in is it too hard to sit down when asked too instead of all this we are victims....would'nt surprise to see the stewards slapped with a 'Yumans rite' writ soon.....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
True but think the club have no objection to that...but persistant standing seems to be the issue....I think there should be a standing area but until that is bought in is it too hard to sit down when asked too instead of all this we are victims....would'nt surprise to see the stewards slapped with a 'Yumans rite' writ soon.....
Face it bigot. You have made a complete arse of yourself in this debate!!! Stop digging and we'll forgive and forget on all other threads but thankfully your opinion is discredited and you need to duck out of this conversation now
North stand 1 - 0 bigoted cant admit they're wrong seagulls on the wing: FT!!!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Ah, now I know you are losing the debate.....Bigot ? Stop digging....oh! am I getting close...and we'll forgive and forget,just who are you to forgive and forget anyone or anything....At least Billy the Fish admits I have a right to my views as you have yours....I was going to throw your signature below your post back at you,but then I would be sinking to your level of mud slinging.
BTW It's Seagull (singular) on the Wing

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Seagull on the wing: the sort of yellow bellied coward who comes from a line of ancestors who wanted to reason with hitler in 1940 because we had seemingly more to lose, the Germans had a point etc. And yet five years later were celebrating in Trafalgar Square long after everyone had forgotten his initial stance (or died objectifying to it!). Utter wanker who is defending the indefensible but will switch sides when the majority eventually wins in the face of tyranny. What a king canute! Write to Seagull on the wing, mellor, lancs everyone!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So is standing in an all seater stadium...

No, it isn't. "Persistent standing" is against the ground regulations. It is not actually illegal (i.e. against the laws of the land) the same way discrimination is.

The "persistent" thing makes it allows for standing to celebrate goals, or get off your seats for fleeting periods of excitement.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Look, I'll try and explain. We accept you, and others, want to see every single rule and regulation enforced 100%. A lot of us don't share your puritanical zeal, but fair enough, we'll let it pass, it's still at the moment a 'free' country. However you must understand that persistent standing IS allowed, I'll repeat that, persistent standing at football matches, in all-seater stadiums IS allowed. Yes I know 'computer says no' and technically the fans are breaking the law and clubs face penalties (such has having offending areas closed by the SGSA*), but a de facto situation has arisen where large blocks of fans, several thousand strong from each club, stand for entire matches. You could argue that they're all very selfish and naughty boys who should have more respect for the Laws of The Land and it should have been ruthlessly stamped out years ago, but it happens anyway. Consequently, as trying to enforce the letter of the law in the stadiums would result in a breakdown in public order, and enforcing the Licencing regulations would result in loss of revenue for clubs, a blind eye is turned.

Now because standing IS allowed (usually by away fans as they tend to be a 'critical mass' of the more passionate supporters as opposed to the more docile football watchers who make up a large proportion of home crowds), any Brighton fan who is evicted for standing up, for whatever reason, IS being victimised. Why pick on individual home fans when there's a whole block of away fans doing exactly the same thing? (Answered in the first paragraph).

Until this situations is resolved (i.e. by the introduction of safe standing or by the SGSA closing down stands as opposed to just issuing empty threats to revenue-aware clubs) a bit of support for the individual victimised fans wouldn't go amiss.

*SGSA - Sports Ground Safety Authority. Replaced the old FLA in 2011

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
In years gone by at The Goldstone when you went in The North Stand you knew what you were letting yourself in for and if you were a kid you always got yourself down the front out of the way of the crowd surges and ad you got older and wiser you went up the terrace and all we had in those days was the metal crash barriers.
No one got injured and kids were safe at the front, you never saw a Steward, only on the gate and the atmosphere was brilliant.
I realise the North Stand at The Amex is different now( I sit/ stand there) but why not try in one game only that all the kids go to the front of the stand if they want and therefore that would let everyone who wishes to stand to go to the back and those who wish to sit could sit in the front rows. Therefore you would reach a happy medium with the sitters happy and the people who wish to stand happy as well, therefore creating a great atmosphere. You have stewards in the stand still and Kids would be all together creating there own bit if atmosphere at the front.
I know we all have picked our seats in the North but for one game only people may be willing to give it a try and see how it turns out ?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
So therefore NOT innocent then. On your basis of everyone else was standing up that makes him innocent then....if you commit an infringement then it's alright because everyone else is.
Now put yourself in the stewards place,he has been told to make the fans seated,there are a lot of people standing,what do you do...the first one you approach will scream I aint doing anything. You have to start somewhere...so in his position...What would you have done?

What about you? If you were in the North Stand and everyone in the rows in front of you was standing, would you remain seated? Even if it meant that you couldn't watch the game?

And if a steward asked YOU to sit, rather than those in front of you, would you consider this fair, and shrug your shoulders, thinking 'yeah, fair enough,' before sitting behind what might as well be a wall?

If they're going to clamp down on persistant standing, then it doesn't take a great deal of intelligence to work out that they should START AT THE FRONT!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'd like to apologise to seagull on the wing. That was out of order even if do disagree and written i. Anger and post pub last night. I'll take another self imposed ban from NSC. It's not good for blood pressure and only a matter of time before NSC becomes part of a GPs health questionnaire surely?!

Good luck with the campaign re: club approach to stewarding everyone! Happy Xmas and new year too!

Oct 11, 2005
London

[yt]N9KFqUz8Jks[/yt]

Absolutely brilliant. I've witnessed similar protests at Deportivo, Sevilla and more recently, Genoa last season. The strength, unity and determination of these fans was awesome.

We need to sort ourselves out and a 10 minute silent protest would be a good start.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In years gone by at The Goldstone when you went in The North Stand you knew what you were letting yourself in for and if you were a kid you always got yourself down the front out of the way of the crowd surges and ad you got older and wiser you went up the terrace and all we had in those days was the metal crash barriers.
No one got injured and kids were safe at the front, you never saw a Steward, only on the gate and the atmosphere was brilliant.
I realise the North Stand at The Amex is different now( I sit/ stand there) but why not try in one game only that all the kids go to the front of the stand if they want and therefore that would let everyone who wishes to stand to go to the back and those who wish to sit could sit in the front rows. Therefore you would reach a happy medium with the sitters happy and the people who wish to stand happy as well, therefore creating a great atmosphere. You have stewards in the stand still and Kids would be all together creating there own bit if atmosphere at the front.
I know we all have picked our seats in the North but for one game only people may be willing to give it a try and see how it turns out ?

So I wonder how many people went to Hillsborough and, knowing what it's like in the middle of a terrace, chose to get down the front!!!!!

I understand why people want to stand, I did it for plenty of years myself, however, how many pontificating on here about rights and whether it's legal, allowed or whatever, have actually written to their MP to call for safe standing.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Look, I'll try and explain. We accept you, and others, want to see every single rule and regulation enforced 100%. A lot of us don't share your puritanical zeal, but fair enough, we'll let it pass, it's still at the moment a 'free' country. However you must understand that persistent standing IS allowed, I'll repeat that, persistent standing at football matches, in all-seater stadiums IS allowed. Yes I know 'computer says no' and technically the fans are breaking the law and clubs face penalties (such has having offending areas closed by the SGSA*), but a de facto situation has arisen where large blocks of fans, several thousand strong from each club, stand for entire matches. You could argue that they're all very selfish and naughty boys who should have more respect for the Laws of The Land and it should have been ruthlessly stamped out years ago, but it happens anyway. Consequently, as trying to enforce the letter of the law in the stadiums would result in a breakdown in public order, and enforcing the Licencing regulations would result in loss of revenue for clubs, a blind eye is turned.

Now because standing IS allowed (usually by away fans as they tend to be a 'critical mass' of the more passionate supporters as opposed to the more docile football watchers who make up a large proportion of home crowds), any Brighton fan who is evicted for standing up, for whatever reason, IS being victimised. Why pick on individual home fans when there's a whole block of away fans doing exactly the same thing? (Answered in the first paragraph).

Until this situations is resolved (i.e. by the introduction of safe standing or by the SGSA closing down stands as opposed to just issuing empty threats to revenue-aware clubs) a bit of support for the individual victimised fans wouldn't go amiss.

Well expressed. Add to that mix the Club have said they will allow (or turn a blind eye to) standing in a number of rows in the North Stand. Also add in the arbitrary nature of enforcement - one week it is apparently ok, the next not - with no communication and it a recipe for discontent. And all so unnecessary.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Er, you did! You suggested it's stand up and support the team or sit down and don't.

The club cannot come out and say it is OK to stand because it is against the regulations and would probably invalidate their safety certificate and all sorts of things. They may have suggested it would be less strictly enforced at the back of the North but that's not the same as saying its OK to stand all the time.

I think you will find Liverpool have had their away allocations reduced because of persistent standing (ironic given the reason for all seater stadiums).

I would be quite happy to see the reintroduction of terraces but we are where we are I'm afraid so you can't blame the club for enforcing the rules that they are obliged to follow.

Not true. They had a reduced allocation for some away games because of persistent standing in the aisles at away games. An entirely different issue. If clubs received reduced allocations due to away fans standing at away games... well most clubs would be getting into trouble for this every week! Looking away from The Amex for a second, the issue isn't standing in the last 4 rows or 8 rows or at times etc etc, the issue is that for some reason the club are taking a very draconian approach towards the North Stand as a whole. It is now accepted and even welcomed at all major stadiums in the UK that some areas, both home and away, are for standing. Don't believe this guff about FA warnings or reduced allocations, it just doesn't happen. The fans want to stand in the North, i'm sure Gus and team want the North to be on their feet and loud - and that's the most important connection, between players and fans. The club (including the stewards) should see their role as helping to facilitate that connection. At the moment they're just getting in the way.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

[yt]N9KFqUz8Jks[/yt]

THIS. Try and get the other areas of the crowd to join in. Maybe the Watford game would be good for this, as it's on TV? Do Watford fans have this issue, would be great if all fans home and away got involved.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
What about you? If you were in the North Stand and everyone in the rows in front of you was standing, would you remain seated? Even if it meant that you couldn't watch the game?

And if a steward asked YOU to sit, rather than those in front of you, would you consider this fair, and shrug your shoulders, thinking 'yeah, fair enough,' before sitting behind what might as well be a wall?

If they're going to clamp down on persistant standing, then it doesn't take a great deal of intelligence to work out that they should START AT THE FRONT!
To answer your first part about would I remain seated...er...yes,because being disabled I have difficulty standing more than a few minutes.
I have been to away games before and have had someone stand up in front so we could'nt see,see some of you say that if you were asked to sit down so the person behind can see that they would...have you tried it....see how many F. offs you can count.
Agree with starting at the front...said so earlier...but come on,there was standing allowed in the back rows,but that's not good enough,you all want to stand. There should be a safe standing area but at the moment there is'nt,so why try and have a go at the club you supposedly support. Do it the proper way and you will get more support, (including mine) form a Quorum,between 4 and 10 of you. Write to club and ask to see Paul Hebberd with a representative of the stewards and ask for explantions and future developments in allowing standing areas.
All this talk of boycotts,strikes gets you and the club nowhere.
I don't want sanistied football anymore than you do,I love hearing the North Stand in full flow,maybe I'm requesting too much of people that when asked to sit ,not to go off the deep end and lay the blame on the stewards.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
To answer your first part about would I remain seated...er...yes,because being disabled I have difficulty standing more than a few minutes.
I have been to away games before and have had someone stand up in front so we could'nt see,see some of you say that if you were asked to sit down so the person behind can see that they would...have you tried it....see how many F. offs you can count.
Agree with starting at the front...said so earlier...but come on,there was standing allowed in the back rows,but that's not good enough,you all want to stand. There should be a safe standing area but at the moment there is'nt,so why try and have a go at the club you supposedly support. Do it the proper way and you will get more support, (including mine) form a Quorum,between 4 and 10 of you. Write to club and ask to see Paul Hebberd with a representative of the stewards and ask for explantions and future developments in allowing standing areas.
All this talk of boycotts,strikes gets you and the club nowhere.
I don't want sanistied football anymore than you do,I love hearing the North Stand in full flow,maybe I'm requesting too much of people that when asked to sit ,not to go off the deep end and lay the blame on the stewards.

If you're disabled, have you considered going in the disabled section? If i was disabled, i would go in the disabled section.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports