Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand standing what a joke

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Why don't they mind away fans standing?

Good question. As I said the rule is ludicrous and it's application is totally unfair, it should be changed. However despite this it does not change the facts on the ground, that those who breach the regulation and directly seek a confrontation with the stewards risk a totally needless ejection from the game and possible loss of season ticket.

The law, in this case, is an ass, but it remains the law nonetheless and people should consider this before they act in a rash manner.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Do you wear a seat belt?

i use my commons sense - towns, villages, and motroways yes, but if no traffic for miles, or off road, or near high edges - i don't - i use common sense (no belt means easier to get out if a problem).

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Good question. As I said the rule is ludicrous and it's application is totally unfair, it should be changed. However despite this it does not change the facts on the ground, that those who breach the regulation and directly seek a confrontation with the stewards risk a totally needless ejection from the game and possible loss of season ticket.

The law, in this case, is an ass, but it remains the law nonetheless and people should consider this before they act in a rash manner.

That's FAR too reasonable 'n' sensible for NSC, chook. Anyway, you should know by now that the first rule of being a pwoppa supporter is to (A) Blame the Dayglo lot for everything; & (B) Refer to Rule 'A' whatever the circumstances. :thumbsup:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
wierd how humans think it ok to obey a rule....just because it is a rule.........even tho it is stupid and holds no common sense.

the best thing the north can do, is create a "stand all game" date - and stand together.

Nobody has to agree to rules, everyone has the right to ignore them. However with that come consequences and you should not moan if you are kicked out. It's about positive protest and going about it the right way without the need for people to lose their Season Tickets. There are a lot of rules to do with health and safety that are senseless. Just remember rule are also there to protect us, if everyone adopts the attitude of I will only obey the rules which I think make sense, then chaos would be the end result. Just remember there is no rule that entitles you to enter the ground in the first place

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We create rules because it's part of the social contract we all sign up to.

What I think is a reasonable rule another might not, so according to [MENTION=20045]hybrid_x[/MENTION] my rule should just be ignored. Well that's the path to an unmanageable situation.

So, we sign up to legislation and regulation, and whilst those laws and rules are in place, we observe them. However, we can change them as a collective. This is either done through revolution i.e. overthrow or evolution i.e. lobbying.

My guess is that many of those on here moaning about not being able to stand haven't done any lobbying. Why not organise properly and contribute towards a change in attitude towards standing - then it may come. If it doesn't come it will be because the majority feel standing the preferred option or because standing is not safe.

You can try revolution, but the Albion are obliged to follow the same rules and regulations as everyone else.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
What people in the North Stand have to realise, is that the ground regulations do not permit persistent standing. This is the rule, everyone knows this is the rule even if they do not like it. The stewards are therefore well within their rights to enforce this rule, especially when they may have been given specific instructions to enforce it. Sadly the persistent standers are in breach of those regulations and do risk ejection if they do not comply. Those are the facts, plain and bloody simple.

Of course most of us will agree that the rule is bullshit and there is no serious safety reason for it. We can also agree that the enforcement can seem arbitrary and unfair. This however does not change the FACT, that you quite literally do not have a leg to stand on when it comes breaching the rule.

The fault lies with the taylor report and the act of parliament which followed it, not the stewards or the club. Inviting confrontation with the stewards is just asking for trouble. That people feel the treatment meted out is unfair, is neither hear nor there, if you do not comply with a request to sit down then you are risking potential ejection, and you know it, so don't do it.

What is required is a change in the law, which lifts these ridiculous restrictions. it is possible to get behind the team whilst seat, the WSU seems to do a good job. For me there just seems too much eagerness for confrontation (on both sides) which detracts from supporting the team. The problems in the North Stand are totally avoidable if people just sit down when asked. You do not have to like it, I agree it is ludicrous, but is it really worth getting kicked out because of it? I think not.

I honestly can't believe that an Albion fan, a proper fan, would be anything other than supportive towards the standers. You do understand what the consequences of an all sitting North would be don't you? Firstly, the people who want to stand will simply stop coming, and start attending away games only. These are the people who create the atmosphere. So the North will be half-full every week. And silent. Then the fans who like football BECAUSE of the atmosphere, not despite it like you seem to, these people will stop coming every week and will start going to more away games. And then finally, as matches are played out in silence infront of 12,000 people sitting there listening to the players shout at each other, the occasionals, the people who come from time to time because football is enjoyable to watch, but also because of the colour and the noise etc, the things that make football unique, these people will stop bothering. So you'll basically end up with a sort of deluxe version of the Withdean experience... and that was a really popular well attended stadium wasn't it!

I supported the team at the Goldstone, the Priestfield, every season at Withers and i haven't missed a home game yet at the Amex. But i am so disillusioned by the Club's bellicose and weirdly aggressive attitude to people as loyal and committed as me - who are doing EXACTLY the same as the people in the away end, and at football stadiums up and down the country, that i'm now undecided about renewing my season ticket.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So, we sign up to legislation and regulation, and whilst those laws and rules are in place, we observe them. However, we can change them as a collective. This is either done through revolution i.e. overthrow or evolution i.e. lobbying.

My guess is that many of those on here moaning about not being able to stand haven't done any lobbying. Why not organise properly and contribute towards a change in attitude towards standing - then it may come. If it doesn't come it will be because the majority feel standing the preferred option or because standing is not safe.

Standing up during games is a form of lobbying in this situation, thousands are doing it every weekend up and down the country. There are plenty of official groups as well.

This has nothing to do with a majority decision, it has been made by a tiny controlling minority, it's been proved many times that the vast majority are in favour of standing areas.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Genuinely, I know someone very senior at the club (Withdean and Amex era, and more senior than Hebberd), who indicated that Hebberd is a nasty piece of work with a brutal attitude towards fans.

I was told that his background was either ex-military or police ... I cannot remember which.

I hope Bloom and Barber listen to fans, and are not railroaded by Hebberd's assertions.

Well I used to work with RH for a time at Withdean. Unless he's changed radically in the last several years, I'd say what you heard is an absolute load of shite. I hope that helps in some small way.

TheFatBallBoy

Jan 10, 2010
Hove
Happy to stand on the terrace,happy to sit in my comfy seat at the amex,will complain to stewards if some dullard insists on standing in front of me.
Its all seater honest:wink:

TheFatBallBoy

Jan 10, 2010
Hove
well i used to work with rh for a time at withdean. Unless he's changed radically in the last several years, i'd say what you heard is an absolute load of shite. I hope that helps in some small way.

In conversations with rh i thought he was too soft on the fans,you treat them right and they'll......didn't work with some of the away fans,i think he really thought millwall,palace would pop round the north bars for drinkie poos after the games:facepalm:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
My first game in the North Stand at the Amex was the Arsenal game. I was in row L and remember wondering what all the fuss (that I had read on NSC) was about regarding heavy-handed stewarding. Everybody seemed to stand up for the entire game and the stewards made no attempt, at any time, to make anybody sit down. A good time was had by all.

What a different tale on Saturday; it was quite apparent that the stewards were out looking for trouble. Why?

I wonder whether these were the same stewards who, when West Ham & Millwall attacked staff and smashed up the South Stand concourse last year, ran away!

I know a lot of the stewards are thick as s*it, but surely they can work out that their heavy-handed, over-bearing and threatening stewarding of the home supporters is not going to go down well unless they also enforce the ground regulations on the away supporters. If it is the "law" that everybody sits, then the numpty stewards should be enforcing it on EVERYBODY, not just selected BHAFC supporters in the North Stand.

And it just makes me wonder whether this is yet another step on the slippery slope of us all becoming "customers", and having to watch the team we love in a sterile ground with no passion and no atmosphere.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Standing up during games is a form of lobbying in this situation, thousands are doing it every weekend up and down the country. There are plenty of official groups as well.

This has nothing to do with a majority decision, it has been made by a tiny controlling minority, it's been proved many times that the vast majority are in favour of standing areas.

I'm not defending the status quo, I'm just saying that is what the current regulation requires. That's a fact.

Breaking the regulation is not a form of lobbying at all - it's breaking the regulation, and with it comes consequences for the individual and the Albion. Now, if individuals wish to stand up and make a point, then that is a decision they take on the understanding that they will be held accountable for their actions. You can't moan about being thrown out if you are breaking the regulations.

By all means plan a day of action with everyone standing. But to really make the point, I'd do this. Stand, and when asked to sit, leave the ground. If every person standing left the ground as soon as they were asked to sit then you'd witness an exodus (if the level of support for standing is what we believe it to be.)

Do I feel strongly about standing? No. Would I like to see safe standing reintroduced? Yes.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
There's countryside support for a safe standing area, from all clubs, even Liverpool. The support will get more weight from next season once there's more attention to the growth of the German bundesligue (with Guardiola), who's stadia have locked seating (for standing/sitting dependant on competition).

Until then, follow the current rules and sit down as it's not helping your cause, and the rest of the stadium will have no sympahty when this happens
Sunderland suspend season tickets of fans who persistently stand up | Football | guardian.co.uk

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
In conversations with rh i thought he was too soft on the fans,you treat them right and they'll......didn't work with some of the away fans,i think he really thought millwall,palace would pop round the north bars for drinkie poos after the games:facepalm:

So what did he say when you questioned him about the away fans?

ps His attitude these days doesn't appear to fit the "brutal attitude towards fans" though, does it?
(as suggested by somebody in an earlier post)

Last edited:

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
What people in the North Stand have to realise, is that the ground regulations do not permit persistent standing. This is the rule, everyone knows this is the rule even if they do not like it. The stewards are therefore well within their rights to enforce this rule, especially when they may have been given specific instructions to enforce it. Sadly the persistent standers are in breach of those regulations and do risk ejection if they do not comply. Those are the facts, plain and bloody simple.

Of course most of us will agree that the rule is bullshit and there is no serious safety reason for it. We can also agree that the enforcement can seem arbitrary and unfair. This however does not change the FACT, that you quite literally do not have a leg to stand on when it comes breaching the rule.

The fault lies with the taylor report and the act of parliament which followed it, not the stewards or the club. Inviting confrontation with the stewards is just asking for trouble. That people feel the treatment meted out is unfair, is neither hear nor there, if you do not comply with a request to sit down then you are risking potential ejection, and you know it, so don't do it.

What is required is a change in the law, which lifts these ridiculous restrictions. it is possible to get behind the team whilst seat, the WSU seems to do a good job. For me there just seems too much eagerness for confrontation (on both sides) which detracts from supporting the team. The problems in the North Stand are totally avoidable if people just sit down when asked. You do not have to like it, I agree it is ludicrous, but is it really worth getting kicked out because of it? I think not.

Totally agree, and really well articulated.
I can't understand the outrage that this causes. Just sit down when asked to do so, or better still don't stand up in the first place and accept the terms under which you purchase your ticket.

wiltshire seagull

Jun 26, 2010
Ok, my son-in-law and I were in Block N1C on Saturday but were told by the jobsworths (JW's) that the seat numbers had been changed!
The 2 allocated (BHSCA) seats were occupied by the rightful ST holders so they weren't happy. The JW's then sent us to Block NIF and told us the seats were there! (They weren't)! Another JW's then suggested we go back to NIC as there were plenty of spare seats (which there were to be fair.
The point of all this is actually to say that although we were eight rows back from the pitch fairly close to the new NW corner seats there was still 2 idiots standing the whole time winding the JW's up. We didn't even bloody well see Ulloa's first goal as even standing our view was blocked by the ensueing arguement. As you've gathered i,m not a regular (8 Amex matches this year + 4 aways). My point is although I love the atmosphere in The North Stand it is fricking annoying when you cant see the game...No probs with the back four rows standing (I know it,s against regs) but it should have been sorted sooner by BHA. What about taking the seats out in the back four rows altogether, lol.
Hey Ho.
UTA

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
i use my commons sense - towns, villages, and motroways yes, but if no traffic for miles, or off road, or near high edges - i don't - i use common sense (no belt means easier to get out if a problem).
I imagine you would be out of the car thorugh the windscreen already

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here