Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand standing what a joke

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
O wonder if Drew would have thrown out Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford for asking the crowd to stand up and sing tonight? I also see that he says that seats disnt kill anyone at Bradford (agreed) but then fails to be balanced and agree that it was fences that caused the sad deaths at Hillsborough and there are no fences at Brighton. Using the deaths of people at Hillsborough to justify the weird obsession that Brighton have for throwing out teenagers for singing in the singing stand is just not on so stop doing it. Old Trafford tonight 80,000 sang and stood up, and nobody died as a result. So Brighton, learn from Spurs, Leeds and Man U and leave those kids alone.

Where did I say that fences didn't contribute to that disaster. Stop making shit up. Are you saying that all those that have been thrown out are teenagers? Absolute made up bollox but of course it makes a good sound bite.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I am sorry Drew but you obviously did not read the account I posted above,if you had you would have seen the point I was making.
Perhaps you never saw the old South Stand at the Goldstone,it was a smaller version of the Bradford one(Goal Line length rather than Touchline)It would have helped you visualise the Bradford one.

At Bradford the stand was divided into two halves lengthwise.At the back slightly raised upon the camber, seating with terracing in front.the sections divided by a wall.
Those in the standing area escaped onto the pitch whilst those behind the wall went to exits at the back.Many of those exits were padlocked.
Those that died and were injured suffered because of being in a seating area and because of the indifference to safety and their incompetence on the part of those charged with keeping them safe.JUST LIKE HILLSBOROUGH.

As I have said I have no intention of posting the video of this tragedy but if you are to young to know what you are talking about,if you did not live through these times..have a look for Bradford City Fire on Youtube

Just for the record, I did live through those times. I used to stand under the southstand so am well aware of it's nature. As for Bradford, I remember it very well and it was probably that event more than any other that changed my attitude to football, ie, it is not a matter of life and death as Bill Shankley once foolishly alluded to, it is a sport that is not worth dying for. Had there been terracing at the back of the Bradford stand there would probably have been as many deaths as many went below the stand to get out.

You compare the southstand to the one at Bradford but can you tell me whether the local authority had condemned the southstand as I'm not aware that was the situation. Also, you imply we were lucky it burnt down overnight but that seems to ignore all the rumours at the time that it was a deliberate act, albeit not proven.

I was also very aware of the morons that threatened to ruin football in the 70s and 80s just for the sake of a good kicking. The same people that meant we had fencing that caged us in and that we got frogged marched at away games from station to ground and back again. My 9 yr old daughter will have a season ticket next year and that is something I would never had considered if football was the same now as it were then. Now I'm not suggesting that it will ever be as bad as it was then but, according to reports, violence in Germany is on the increase.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
[MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION]

Bradford, the old stand was wooden, you seem to think the stand would have still burnt down had it been a concrete stand with terracing. Strange theory but there you go.
Also football related public order offences in Germany have nothing to do with safe standing, as there is no difference in the amount reported in the standing areas to that in the seated areas.
Yourself and hovagirl seem to be obsessed with dragging up the past and coming up with all sorts of reasons why safe standing should not be allowed and yet many fans on here are answering your arguments. Safe standing is not the past, it's the future. You can still sit in your seat, 80-90% of stadia will still be seating. So sit all you like. Those on the other hand that would like to stand safely, should be able to in a designated area. Why you have to keep trying to argue against it, is beyond me.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
[MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION]

Bradford, the old stand was wooden, you seem to think the stand would have still burnt down had it been a concrete stand with terracing. Strange theory but there you go.
Also football related public order offences in Germany have nothing to do with safe standing, as there is no difference in the amount reported in the standing areas to that in the seated areas.
Yourself and hovagirl seem to be obsessed with dragging up the past and coming up with all sorts of reasons why safe standing should not be allowed and yet many fans on here are answering your arguments. Safe standing is not the past, it's the future. You can still sit in your seat, 80-90% of stadia will still be seating. So sit all you like. Those on the other hand that would like to stand safely, should be able to in a designated area. Why you have to keep trying to argue against it, is beyond me.

When did I say it would be a concrete stand. It could have been exactly the same stand but without seats and people standing right to the very back!!!! Those at the back would still have probably tried to get out via the back of the stand.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

I tried telling you this before but it obviously didn't sink in but that repetition is out of date and defunct. That's why no one really signed it. There is a much bigger movement going on. Safe Standing Petition | Football Supporters Federation this has around 17,800 signatures.
The funny thing is by taking the piss of that small petition by James Barnett, you actually shown how popular safe standing is. You've managed to increase it by 120% in just one evening on just one website because you gave it a little exposure. That's more than signed it in the 7 months since it started! Still think its unpopular?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I tried telling you this before but it obviously didn't sink in but that repetition is out of date and defunct. That's why no one really signed it. There is a much bigger movement going on. Safe Standing Petition | Football Supporters Federation this has around 17,800 signatures.
The funny thing is by taking the piss of that small petition by James Barnett, you actually shown how popular safe standing is. You've managed to increase it by 120% in just one evening on just one website because you gave it a little exposure. That's more than signed it in the 7 months since it started! Still think its unpopular?

I had to hunt about for that petition, defunct as it may be, because I've not seen anyone here post about any petition, neither have I read you mention either petition before. So, why not ask to make this link a sticky?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Why on earth does Hillsborough get brought up when the safe standing issue is discussed? It shouldn't even come into the issue. Safe standing is utterly utterly different, to old style terraces. Like somone else just said, at old trafford, both stands behind both goals are all standing, maybe 30k people #unsafeseating

attilla brought it up ( he's pro-standing) as he seemed to be linking the lies about Hillsborough with why standing was banned

Burgesshillseagull

Aug 30, 2012
Burgess Hill
Standing in the North Stand

Sit the **** down then.
:clap2:
:tosser:

Funny, how not one steward came to ask ANY fans to sit down during the palace game which thus provide precedence that this is not an enforceable rule.
When I bought my ticket they advised back 7 rows could stand, for 2 seasons nearly we have until the Barnsley game. Paul (your customers not fans) Barber wrote to advise we had changed seat number but never advised on enforcing a sit down rule.

This guy did not Swear, use intimidating behaviour, only remonstrated that why pick on him to which the stewards (who would seem come from thickidiotsorus.com) could not advise only that they were advised to select him.

If Mr Paul (your customers not fans) Barber wants to enforce write to all fans on renewal of season tickets!, however anyone who calls people customers and fans probably has no idea about football, and if this is enforced across the stadium would result in a quiet, un-passionate and boring atmostshere.

So if you want to sit down, that’s great just move to another stand i.e. the Library Stand (west) or the children’s playground (east)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here