Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] North - South Divide

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Are we not classed as Northern Europe with our weather and pavement seating culture.
As a side, I've a supplier trying to get me to stock a 'Prime' flavoured sweet (Logan Paul & KSI). Flying out in Blackpool I've been told by quite a few shops up there. Down here, nothing. Sat on the shelf.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFS people it's Arundel - how many times do you need to be told?

That said #TeamGreggs

Pret is shithouse.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm putting my mum's house (just south of Sunderland) on the market. One estate agent suggested £40k for it. I'm not sure where the divide is but I know that nowhere in the south is a 3-bed house going for £40k

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
FFS people it's Arundel - how many times do you need to be told?

That said #TeamGreggs

Pret is shithouse.
Pret is far superior, and clearly for southern tastes -

Italian Proscuitto, Posh Cheddar and Pickle, Avo, Olive & Toms, Wiltshire Cured Ham & Greve.....

Plus a very good business model, as pricing northerners out.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
"Now, scientists have entered the fray..."

Are these the same buffoons that tried to tell me how I should like my tea? And the same ones that said the 'Millennium bug' would wipe out everyone's computers, just to name two?

As soon as 'scientists' get mentioned, I always take their findings with a large pinch of salt.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I'm putting my mum's house (just south of Sunderland) on the market. One estate agent suggested £40k for it. I'm not sure where the divide is but I know that nowhere in the south is a 3-bed house going for £40k
Car parking spaces(garages) in central London can go for £20k!

Edit

“And the rest”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“The food we eat is a very good indicator of whether someone is northern or southern.”

I normally go by how fat and racist they are.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I don’t think you can buy a studio flat in the central areas of Brighton and hove for less than £200k so £40k sounds crazy for a house . You could almost buy it on a credit card .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a fine demonstration of AI just regurgitating "wisdom" of the interwebs and failing.

NSC done this, its all about whippets.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don’t think you can buy a studio flat in the central areas of Brighton and hove for less than £200k so £40k sounds crazy for a house . You could almost buy it on a credit card .
As Paulie has pointed out, my mum's garage alone would be about £40k in London. The house price divide is totally barmy - I don't think any other country in Europe has such a stark divide.

Earlier, I was browsing an online whisky store and noticed some bottles were more than £25k. What world are we in when a couple of bottles of booze can cost more than a house?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This article was in todays Guardian:

It has an interesting article on the north / south divide when it comes to food. Apparently up north starts at the Watford Gap.

The precise location of the north-south of England divide is a fraught question that has been debated for centuries, drawing on factors ranging from economic prosperity and political views to the pronunciation of the word “scone”. Now, scientists have entered the fray, proposing an objective, machine learning-based analysis of the distribution of Pret a Manger and Greggs shops across England.​
The AI-based approach places the critical dividing line at which avocado wraps give way to sausage rolls close to the M1 Watford Gap services and concludes that Birmingham, Coventry and Leicester, which often fall into a disputed grey area, should be considered “northern”.​
“The food we eat is a very good indicator of whether someone is northern or southern. Greggs is very popular in the north, where people do seem to prefer a steak bake,” said Dr Robin Smith, the physicist at Sheffield Hallam University who led the study, adapting an algorithm normally used to study nuclear reactions.​
Sheffield Hallam University, using AI algorithms normally used to study nuclear reactions, you say? Or rather, they say. The Guardian.

I have a suspicion that if I used the same algorithms to work out the shortest route from my kitchen table to the khazi, I'd end up burning my house down.

I have a theory. This is the start of the Silly Season, isn't it. ???

;)

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
As Paulie has pointed out, my mum's garage alone would be about £40k in London. The house price divide is totally barmy - I don't think any other country in Europe has such a stark divide.

Earlier, I was browsing an online whisky store and noticed some bottles were more than £25k. What world are we in when a couple of bottles of booze can cost more than a house?
Not even a garage , at least 5 different parking spaces in central London have sold for more than £100k in the last 2 years ,

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did once. Felt rather dirty so returned to bacon rolls with red sauce!
Crispy streaky bacon and mashed avocado sandwich is nice. The two work a treat

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here