Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I understand enough to know much of the passing around at the back was because the players didn't know quite what to do and were simply unloading it rather than having a coherent plan

So the answer is no then.

If you watch Swansea there's a world of difference. They move it with speed and purpose and the passing is to pull the opposition out of position.

Do you remember our first season at the Amex? We played the same game but is was slower, less incisive, and sometimes ineffective. The second season it was quicker, more incisive, and more effective. It's called improvement, and it takes time. Do you think when Swansea adopted this style of play they immediately started playing exactly how they do now? Of course they didn't! They improved gradually and the build up play got quicker, more incisive and more effective, until eventually they got to the stage they're at now. It really isn't that difficult to comprehend. It took them a long time, and they went through 4 managers doing it, but they're now an established Premier League team with a superb style of play who can beat anyone on their day, and that's just about the best we can ever hope for.

But I'm guessing you don't like that model and demand instant success and want us to just get promoted whatever it takes.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I don't think English football was traditionally "hoofball". It was just characterised as being different from Europe by being fast and furious with less technical ball control. I well remember in the 80's with my mates watching European footie on the TV and thinking "Thank goodness we don't play this stuff in England. Far too slow and boring". Actually I think the Europeans have changed too. They have moved towards our game too by speeding things up a bit while we are belatedly looking to improve on our ball control and possession.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't think English football was traditionally "hoofball". It was just characterised as being different from Europe by being fast and furious with less technical ball control. I well remember in the 80's with my mates watching European footie on the TV and thinking "Thank goodness we don't play this stuff in England. Far too slow and boring". Actually I think the Europeans have changed too. They have moved towards our game too by speeding things up a bit while we are belatedly looking to improve on our ball control and possession.

They still play like that in Italy, very technical but slow and boring. That style of football but fast and incisive is what we should be aiming for. But it's bloody hard to do, and it will take a long time to get it to the level that we want it to.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
So the answer is no then.

Do you remember our first season at the Amex? We played the same game but is was slower, less incisive, and sometimes ineffective. The second season it was quicker, more incisive, and more effective. It's called improvement, and it takes time. Do you think when Swansea adopted this style of play they immediately started playing exactly how they do now? Of course they didn't! They improved gradually and the build up play got quicker, more incisive and more effective, until eventually they got to the stage they're at now. It really isn't that difficult to comprehend. It took them a long time, and they went through 4 managers doing it, but they're now an established Premier League team with a superb style of play who can beat anyone on their day, and that's just about the best we can ever hope for.

But I'm guessing you don't like that model and demand instant success and want us to just get promoted whatever it takes.

First point-our style of play was quicker and more incisive. Sadly, not often enough. When our passing style was coupled with a degree of urgency there wasn't a side in the Championship who could compete with us but that didn't happen often enough. You appear to be assuming that people looking for a 'plan B' are advocating some Pulis-esque kind of hoofball. We're not. If Poyet had used Bill Shankly's (or Alex Freguson's) philosophy of "We'll play our game, our way-let the other team worry about us", we'd be celebrating a promotion to the Premier League right now rather than wondering what the effing hell is going on at the club. You are not the only one amongst us who understands what passing football is all about.

As much as I dislike Man Utd I cannot help but be totally envious of their style of football. They move the ball quickly and more often than not it goes forward and when they go forward they look capable of scoring virtually every time-or at the very least look like they are looking to score. If they go behind, everybody knows that there is a 90% chance they'll come back and win in the 96th minute. They had more than a plan A and plan B (other than bullying referees). Under Poyet, everybody at The Albion knew that going one nil down meant the best we could hope for was a draw. How many times have you seen The Albion get to within a few yards of the opposition penalty area, only to pass backwards, sometimes back to our own half? We came from behind to win ONCE in 2 years at The Amex which is pathetic-it really is, no matter how you look at it. I don't remember coming from behind to win away from home-genuinely don't remember so we may have done.

Second point: Yes! This season I would have taken getting promoted 'whatever it takes'. We may regret our end of season capitulation for a number of years.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I do love our passing game but if a more direct approach gets us results and promotion I am not to fussed. As long as the might albion win that's all that matters to me

Was 4th in the league of 24 not getting us results?!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
First point-our style of play was quicker and more incisive. Sadly, not often enough. When our passing style was coupled with a degree of urgency there wasn't a side in the Championship who could compete with us but that didn't happen often enough.

We improved on it year on year. Yes it wasn't perfect, but we're a new Championship side, of course it wasn't perfect. Nobody can deny that we've improved year on year since Gus arrived, and I really can't see how anyone can say that isn't enough. Not anyone who remembers where we've come from, anyway.

If Poyet had used Bill Shankly's (or Alex Freguson's) philosophy of "We'll play our game, our way-let the other team worry about us", we'd be celebrating a promotion to the Premier League right now

Right, now I'm really confused, I thought that was exactly what people were moaning about, the whole "We'll play one way, it doesn't matter where or against who" thing (the same thing people were raving about when we walked League 1 doing it).

As much as I dislike Man Utd I cannot help but be totally envious of their style of football. They move the ball quickly and more often than not it goes forward and when they go forward they look capable of scoring virtually every time-or at the very least look like they are looking to score.

Well yes, it would be lovely if we played like Man Utd, but it isn't as easy as that, they have slightly better players than we do! When we're attacking and can't see any way through, we tend to just make sure we keep the ball, even if it means going backwards, knowing that if we can keep moving it around long enough then space will appear for us to create a chance with. When they're in the same situation they have players who are quick enough, intelligent enough and accurate enough to cut through the defence and make a chance there and then. We don't. The only player we had who could do this was Vicente, and it rarely worked because none of the other players were on the same wavelength. As we get better and better and more players of a higher quality join, then we can start to be more incisive and more positive, just as we were this season compared to last season. Patience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here