Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It would mean a pretty radical overhaul of the squad wouldn't it?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
threads like these have given me a reason not to be on here for a while,why ??have a think about it

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not really, but nor do I want aimless tippy tappy back-passing football.

Tippy-Tappy football is not quite there yet and is struggling to find a place in the English psyche with its periods of aimless passing around at the back.

It isn't aimless, you just don't understand it, you don't see what the point of it is because you can't fathom why we would pass backwards when the goal is forwards.

As for it 'not being there yet', it won the World Cup and the European Championship, in what way is it 'not there yet'?

What you mean is, a lot of people in this country are so set in their ways that they don't understand it, and think it isn't 'proper' football. They're the people who stand on the touchlines at kids football shouting "GET IT UP TO THE BIG LAD" at 8 year olds. They're the reason we produce technically inferior players in this country. They're the reason we won't win the World Cup for another generation.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It isn't aimless, you just don't understand it, you don't see what the point of it is because you can't fathom why we would pass backwards when the goal is forwards.

As for it 'not being there yet', it won the World Cup and the European Championship, in what way is it 'not there yet'?

What you mean is, a lot of people in this country are so set in their ways that they don't understand it, and think it isn't 'proper' football. They're the people who stand on the touchlines at kids football shouting "GET IT UP TO THE BIG LAD" at 8 year olds. They're the reason we produce technically inferior players in this country. They're the reason we won't win the World Cup for another generation.

Perhaps you should apply for the managers job if it becomes available?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not really, but nor do I want aimless tippy tappy back-passing football. There is a happy medium that the best teams deploy. It is no good having a football if you do nothing with it, and pass it aimlessly until you lose it.

But then I agree with your happy medium point. That I can definately agree on. Pullis is no happy medium though, is he?

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
How many new players would we need for this brand of football.

Bruno and calderon, lack physical aspect required

El-abd probably too small same with bridcutt and cms

Buckley and lua lua, not pulis wingers, prefer walters type, work hard like a tackle etc.

Orlandi and david, like a pass too much, lack physical side

But ulloa will be okay and pig, so that is a start

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
From bottom of league 1 to 4th in the Championship and one win from automatic promotion to the Premier League?

The only people bored out of their 'sculls' where the old dinosaurs that think we should "get it up to the big man, THE GOAL IS THAT WAY." The people still stuck in the 1970's who don't understand the game properly and aren't intelligent enough to move with the times.

You still haven't answered my question from the other day, do you actually understand the reasons and the thinking behind passing, possession football? Do you know why we pass the ball backwards or sideways sometimes?

Obviously you pompus prick! It does not mean that I agree with it as the ONLY tactic though.

I would rather see some chances taken, rather than prey to the alter of keep-ball. Not only that, it rarely works when the other team press hard and get "stuck in". We do not have the players with the quality to play that way without making loads of mistakes over 90 mins, or the vision to be incisive when the opportunity arises. They would cost the big money that Poyet was bleeting on about every two minutes. Why do you think we concede so many goals when we go ahead and the other team "go for it", or fail to breakdown determined defences?

As a matter of choice, I would always prefer to see ENGLISH football, than this poxy latin stuff designed for when it is too hot to run around much, and physical contact is barred to protect the fairies playing it. Mind you, with your avitar, I suspect you would need that protection yourself.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Perhaps you should apply for the managers job if it becomes available?

Perhaps I should, with pork pie as number 2. Passing possession football with a plan b (get it in the box). The dream team.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Obviously you pompus prick! It does not mean that I agree with it as the ONLY tactic though.

I would rather see some chances taken, rather than prey to the alter of keep-ball. Not only that, it rarely works when the other team press hard and get "stuck in". We do not have the players with the quality to play that way without making loads of mistakes over 90 mins, or the vision to be incisive when the opportunity arises. They would cost the big money that Poyet was bleeting on about every two minutes. Why do you think we concede so many goals when we go ahead and the other team "go for it", or fail to breakdown determined defences?

As a matter of choice, I would always prefer to see ENGLISH football, than this poxy latin stuff designed for when it is too hot to run around much, and physical contact is barred to protect the fairies playing it. Mind you, with your avitar, I suspect you wpould need that protection yourself.

Pompous?? Ha Ha oh the irony....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

As a matter of choice, I would always prefer to see ENGLISH football, than this poxy latin stuff designed for when it is too hot to run around much, and physical contact is barred to protect the fairies playing it. Mind you, with your avitar, I suspect you would need that protection yourself.

I apologised for calling you a **** the other day and now you call me a pompous prick. How dare you. I won't disagree though.

We have the players to play that way to get us within touching distance of the Premier League, we've just proved that. With two or three signings we'd have enough to play that way and get up automatically. I'd much rather we stick to the way we play and improve bit by bit, so once we get to where we need to be we can play with style and avoid getting hammered every week. Look at Swansea, do you find their football boring? That's what we should be aiming for.

We don't concede 'so many goals' at any point, we have one of the best defensive records in the league. We've struggled to come from behind and win, but that isn't down to the style of football, that's down to us having a bit of a soft underbelly and needing a bit more steel. We have come from behind to draw a fair bit though.

What you call 'ENGLISH football' is an inferior way of playing, as proved time and time again in international tournaments. It doesn't work at the very top level, so why would we want to play like it further down the ladder?

You prove your lack of understanding of the possession game with your point about it being invented for countries where it's too hot to run around much. There's far more running and movement involved in this kind of game than in kick and rush, you just don't see it because you are just watching the ball and wondering why it isn't going straight into the box.

As for needing physical protection myself, I'm 6 foot 3 and 17 stone, so you're wrong on that one as well.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing

I understand enough to know much of the passing around at the back was because the players didn't know quite what to do and were simply unloading it rather than having a coherent plan. If you watch Swansea there's a world of difference. They move it with speed and purpose and the passing is to pull the opposition out of position. Ours is much too pedestrian to achieve anything like that.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I apologised for calling you a **** the other day and now you call me a pompous prick. How dare you. I won't disagree though.

We have the players to play that way to get us within touching distance of the Premier League, we've just proved that. With two or three signings we'd have enough to play that way and get up automatically. I'd much rather we stick to the way we play and improve bit by bit, so once we get to where we need to be we can play with style and avoid getting hammered every week. Look at Swansea, do you find their football boring? That's what we should be aiming for.

We don't concede 'so many goals' at any point, we have one of the best defensive records in the league. We've struggled to come from behind and win, but that isn't down to the style of football, that's down to us having a bit of a soft underbelly and needing a bit more steel. We have come from behind to draw a fair bit though.

What you call 'ENGLISH football' is an inferior way of playing, as proved time and time again in international tournaments. It doesn't work at the very top level, so why would we want to play like it further down the ladder?

You prove your lack of understanding of the possession game with your point about it being invented for countries where it's too hot to run around much. There's far more running and movement involved in this kind of game than in kick and rush, you just don't see it because you are just watching the ball and wondering why it isn't going straight into the box.

As for needing physical protection myself, I'm 6 foot 3 and 17 stone, so you're wrong on that one as well.

Anybody who criticises our style of play needs to sit down and watch the 1970 World Cup FInal. I was bored out of my skull for at least 1 nanosecond.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here