Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Noelia deniz on oscar worth a read

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If the lack of support she's implying from TB actually means that he refused to fund the extra wages required to sign, for instance, Grabban then so be it. Until I have a spare hundred million to plough into the club, I find it very hard to criticise the guy and insist he should spend more money. Equally, I have sympathy for a manager who knows that player could make all the difference.

In later weeks, I can imagine the atmosphere between Bloom and OG may have been strained. I just don't see him as the sort who will have much time for someone who's made it known they're thinking of leaving. Also, he's very much a fan too and was probably equally uninspired by the football in the last few months, even though it was getting results.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This man, he speaks sense.

It's clearly Tony isn't involved in the day to day running of the club, so can't provide much support.

Whoever Noelia is needs to extract her head from Oscar's ass and see the real world.

Looking at today's Argus article, I don't think the support she is talking about is financial. I believe Oscar knew the budget when he started but it appears that the budget is being wasted on players that he didn't want.
The article says he gave the club a list of players and he didn't get one of them. I don't believe that he was so stupid as to ask for players well outside of our financial contraints so the recruitment at this club needs looking at.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
For those having a go at her, worth remembering she was suggesting things not quite right some months ago, and she got roundly slated for it. Sounds like she wasn't too far from the truth, whatever people may think of her.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Its obvious OG and the board fell out over transfers and player wages

OG politely told them he wanted to leave and the club don't want it to look like they are at fault (even if they are not)

Noelia is always going to be on Oscars side what did you expect her to say? Maybe she has said too much and OG may not be happy about this.

I've always suspected our finances don't meet the expectations of the fans and even perhaps what the board thought the Amex could bring, if you check my posts I've always said the matchday revenue wasn't enough to cover cost to finance a squad to reach and stay in the Prem.

OG going confirms Poyet was right about the ceiling and that the ceiling is still there.

TB is a rich man but whether he is rich enough or willing to gamble enough to buy promotion I can't say. I heard today that Randy Learner has spent £300M of his own money in the last 2 years trying to make Villa successful, has TB got £300M to risk? Even if he has rich people don't like losing that sort of money even if its within their pockets - they got rich by not losing that sort of money and I suspect TB is the sort of Guy that doesn't like losing £3000 let alone £3m of his families.

I think TB is happy to invest in Infrastructure, buildings and intellectual property for the club but unwilling to gamble it on Players and players wages which might expose him to unsustainable losses. The Amex has to bring in as much money as it can and the clubs finances must dictate how much we spend on players and their wages.

TB might be a fan but he isn't stupid to go and make himself bankrupt trying to make 4th place in the Prem unless there is a good chance of doing it.

To me, this is a very plausible explanation / scenario. Which is fine - live within your means. However, my grumble is that they have continually raised everone's expectations with all the talk of "top six finishes" and "premier league readiness". Clearly that is what made the job almost untenable to both Gus and Oscar.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the lack of support she's implying from TB actually means that he refused to fund the extra wages required to sign, for instance, Grabban then so be it. Until I have a spare hundred million to plough into the club, I find it very hard to criticise the guy and insist he should spend more money. Equally, I have sympathy for a manager who knows that player could make all the difference.

That ignores the fact we'd just trousered £4 million from selling Bridcutt, Barnes and El-Abd along with the attendant drop in wages.

Oscar has stated that the window left us weaker, and this was also the view of Sky Football League pundit Peter Beagrie, who I recall said he was surprised at how the Albion had finished weaker at the end of the window than when we'd started.

I totally agree that we shouldn't be splashing cash on transfer fees and wages we can't afford, but if Bloom's stated aim was Top 2 but at least a Top 6 place then it's a bit much to expect that having sold 3 key players in our rise up from League 1 obscurity.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ah, FINALLY we get to the nitty gritty. Any pics?

Best you're going to get...

1521aed2f563caf24c3e00d6004eafbb.jpeg

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That ignores the fact we'd just trousered £4 million from selling Bridcutt, Barnes and El-Abd along with the attendant drop in wages.

Oscar has stated that the window left us weaker, and this was also the view of Sky Football League pundit Peter Beagrie, who I recall said he was surprised at how the Albion had finished weaker at the end of the window than when we'd started.

I totally agree that we shouldn't be splashing cash on transfer fees and wages we can't afford, but if Bloom's stated aim was Top 2 but at least a Top 6 place then it's a bit much to expect that having sold 3 key players in our rise up from League 1 obscurity.

But the club was already well in excess of the FFP limits, suggesting that the wage bill needed to come down rather than just stay the same. I'm still hoping (though not particularly optimistic) that the majority of those funds will be reinvested during the summer and they simply took the decision to hold off, believing that they'll be able to get better players for the same money by not joining the January rush. We'll see. I reckon it's more likely the new manager will have to sell before he buys.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But the club was already well in excess of the FFP limits, suggesting that the wage bill needed to come down rather than just stay the same. I'm still hoping (though not particularly optimistic) that the majority of those funds will be reinvested during the summer and they simply took the decision to hold off, believing that they'll be able to get better players for the same money by not joining the January rush. We'll see. I reckon it's more likely the new manager will have to sell before he buys.

The logic of what you say is that we started the season with a squad that the club knew were too expensive to keep for the whole season / with certain players we knew we would have to sell during the season in order to comply with FFP, so the likelihood of us being weaker after January was always there.

If this is the case it is no wonder successive managers - who both finished the season strongly - feel exasperated when they just fall short in the play-offs.

This would suggest that if we're going to sell that we do it early in the summer so that we don't have to sell in January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here