Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No trains for Brentford

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I’m sorry for my obtuse comment earlier. I live 127 miles from the Amex, coming up for 50 years a fan, 35+ years seriously long distance, a decent normal return run for a home game is 11 hours plus, but this time these strikes have gone on so long and are killing me, it’s often 14 hours plus and getting home at 3.00am. They have lost my sympathy I’m afraid, but I shouldn’t mock their trade and their skills, I’m sorry.
Your exasperation is totally understandable. Even those of us who support the strikes are sick of them.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I’m sorry for my obtuse comment earlier. I live 127 miles from the Amex, coming up for 50 years a fan, 35+ years seriously long distance, a decent normal return run for a home game is 11 hours plus, but this time these strikes have gone on so long and are killing me, it’s often 14 hours plus and getting home at 3.00am. They have lost my sympathy I’m afraid, but I shouldn’t mock their trade and their skills, I’m sorry.
I am sure that you speak for many folk, who are similarly sick of the whole thing. Whilst industrial relations are never straight-forward, in the case of the drivers, the fact they are using their clout -and they are, again - to further increase their above-average salaries, is really annoying. As stated previously, it is a responsible job and I for one do not deny them a good wage, but the perpetual strikes/overtime bans, smack of real greed.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Given the location of the stadium, we should be applying to the PL for authority to postpone games at late notice due to strikes.

It's just not fair on the match going public.

I can get there on my bike, so I have an option, though if it's raining, I do have an Amazon membership

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I understand the frustration it is an absolute nightmare, I also get not everyone is an expert on trains and how it works. Every week making sure to check every friday that the game in two weeks won't require me having to scramble for lifts. Hopefully will all come to an end soon (at least when an election happens).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I understand the frustration it is an absolute nightmare, I also get not everyone is an expert on trains and how it works. Every week making sure to check every friday that the game in two weeks won't require me having to scramble for lifts. Hopefully will all come to an end soon (at least when an election happens).
The trains, like everything else which has been run into the ground can't be fixed with the wave of a wand from an incoming government I'm afraid

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The trains, like everything else which has been run into the ground can't be fixed with the wave of a wand from an incoming government I'm afraid
Agree, but its better than incumbent. Fully expect Labour will carry it on, but its better than doing nothing.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Agree, but its better than incumbent. Fully expect Labour will carry it on, but its better than doing nothing.
Carry what on? What exactly do you expect to happen?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Carry what on? What exactly do you expect to happen?
That there won't be enough in the budget to give people a payrise will be the line I think, the only thing I can see happening is maybe a last stab at the dark from the tories to look like they have some level of competency and give them the deal.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Given the location of the stadium, we should be applying to the PL for authority to postpone games at late notice due to strikes.

It's just not fair on the match going public.

I can get there on my bike, so I have an option, though if it's raining, I do have an Amazon membership
I'm sure the game would have been postponed due to the strike if it were not part of the complete fixture list "every game" amazon prime contract this week.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm sure the game would have been postponed due to the strike if it were not part of the complete fixture list "every game" amazon prime contract this week.
But Amazon have a load of other games showing simultaneously. Literally nobody apart from Brighton and Brentford fans will be watching this. But if their broadcast was put off to a random Tuesday in the new year, when maybe there are no other games going on, their audience figures would surely be much higher

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
But Amazon have a load of other games showing simultaneously. Literally nobody apart from Brighton and Brentford fans will be watching this. But if their broadcast was put off to a random Tuesday in the new year, when maybe there are no other games going on, their audience figures would surely be much higher
I think they also keep the rights to the game as well, can't remember which game it was last season we had that was randomly on amazon prime in the late season.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Not so, the only game to cancel due to no trains was Palace, because the required police response/travel plan couldn't be put into place.

Any other time there's no trains we just have to live with it.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
You’ve nothing to apologise for. You sound like a truly dedicated fan, and you have my admiration and gratitude. Not words I’d use about the train drivers.
Strikes me these coach companies are making a mint outta the misery f train travel
Fair play to them. They’re providing a service and responding to demand. I’ve used Seagull Travel a few times now and am grateful that they’re able to get me to the game, albeit at a price. BTW, thanks to @METALMICKY for advising me to check with ST for any last minute cancellations. I did, and they were able to squeeze me in.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
You’ve nothing to apologise for. You sound like a truly dedicated fan, and you have my admiration and gratitude. Not words I’d use about the train drivers.

Fair play to them. They’re providing a service and responding to demand. I’ve used Seagull Travel a few times now and am grateful that they’re able to get me to the game, albeit at a price. BTW, thanks to @METALMICKY for advising me to check with ST for any last minute cancellations. I did, and they were able to squeeze me in.
Funnily enough I don’t think that’s a word any of them would use about you. Rude and disrespectful would probably be a couple though.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
So, the driver doesn’t have to steer, because it’s on rails and it just goes where it goes, and he doesn’t have to go up and down, because it’s too heavy, so it just stays on the ground. And when it does need to change direction, someone else adjusts the points and uses red and green lights to inform the driver. So all the driver has to do is press the loud pedal to go, and the brake to stop, follow the coloured lights, and occasionally stop and press the ‘open door’ button. And for that he or she gets paid £37.50 per hour, and a shitload of perks, overtime, leave and benefits on top. Is this an accurate summary?
You seem to think it is an accurate summary so why don't you just become a train driver and enjoy the shitload of perks, leave and benefits whilst simply pressing two pedals and occasionally stopping? Easy. Let us know how it goes.
Edit - I missed your later post/apology so should apologise myself - sorry for directing my post at you, that was wrong.

Last edited:

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Just checked as I'm about to list my dad's ticket on the exchange and it still seems a full sellout.

Anyway. Ticket in West Upper block F if anyone's interested!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just checked as I'm about to list my dad's ticket on the exchange and it still seems a full sellout.

Anyway. Ticket in West Upper block F if anyone's interested!
Although tickets can be listed I don’t think the exchange is selling tickets?

I managed to get a friend and his son tickets earlier and the child’s ticket went through at concession prices where as exchange tickets are all sold at full price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here