Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No trains for Brentford

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Drivers want a second person on their trains, which used to be called a guard. The ROCs are still trying to do away with them.
Do you begrudge pilots their pay? Train drivers are responsible for as many lives.
So they’ll remove the pay rise bit if this is agreed? Will they f***.
Thameslink have not had a guard on the train since before COVID. I cant remember a single incident caused by this, I could be wrong and would stand corrected if there is a link to one?
As for comparing a train driver to a pilot, yeah right.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thameslink have not had a guard on the train since before COVID. I cant remember a single incident caused by this, I could be wrong and would stand corrected if there is a link to one?
Two years training, one retake maximum on any test, trainee salary £24K, yearly medical, and responsible for hundreds bof lives.
Your mocking tone in your post says a lot about you.

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
I'm sorry, but when you comment about train drivers being responsible for hundreds of lives then it probably deserves mocking. As Milano mentions, has the removal of the guard actually had an affect - have near-misses increased? That's the real point.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Drivers want a second person on their trains, which used to be called a guard. The ROCs are still trying to do away with them.
Do you begrudge pilots their pay? Train drivers are responsible for as many lives.
I'm pretty sure that with a few hours training I could get to grips with driving a modern train. I definitely couldn't fly a plane.

I would say that, having had the experience of suddenly falling ill on a train, I think they should all have a second person on board.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Two years training, one retake maximum on any test, trainee salary £24K, yearly medical, and responsible for hundreds bof lives.
Degree in aviation or engineering. 2 years commercial training plus 100s of hours private flying time, then 5 years minimum as a Co-pilot. So that’s about 10 years before a pilot is fully in command of a commercial airliner.
Nothing at all against train drivers and I’m not mocking them at all, am I mocking comparing a train driver to a pilot - yes I am.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm pretty sure that with a few hours training I could get to grips with driving a modern train. I definitely couldn't fly a plane.

I would say that, having had the experience of suddenly falling ill on a train, I think they should all have a second person on board.
My daughter got her pilot's licence courtesy of a Flying Scholarship with the ATC, but then decided she didn't want to join the RAF (she'd passed the tests for Navigator at Biggin Hill)
It took her five goes to pass her driving test. Go figure.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Trains have an auto driver system, if the train doesn’t sense a response from the driver after one minute it takes over unless the driver cancels it. Almost impossible crash a train.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
You've a lot of nerve to talk about drivers being ‘responsible for hundreds of lives' when they're happy to ruin the lives of those very same people by refusing to do their jobs. Just read this thread to see the misery they are causing those treasured passengers. You must be crazy to liken a train driver to an airline pilot. Driving a train in the modern era is relatively easy. They get wildly overpaid, not because what they do is very difficult, but because they have a lot of power.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The training takes 12-18 months……drivers are with a ‘driver trainer’ for that whole period until they qualify :lol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
@Justice

Your reply was within the previous quote so difficult to quote you, but derailments are often due to cracked rails, vandalism, suicidal jumpers etc, not to mention faulty signals.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
My daughter got her pilot's licence courtesy of a Flying Scholarship with the ATC, but then decided she didn't want to join the RAF (she'd passed the tests for Navigator at Biggin Hill)
It took her five goes to pass her driving test. Go figure.
That ‘scholarship’ cost someone thousands and flying a Cessna is not like flying an A350!!

OK - what is more subject to risk - driving a train up a fixed track with tech failsafes literally everywhere or driving a coach full of people up the M1?
The train driver is trained in a closed shop and surrounded by other trained drivers. The coach driver has to share the road with people who took 5 attempts to pass their test!!
By your own comparisons a coach driver should be on more than a train driver then?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That ‘scholarship’ cost someone thousands and flying a Cessna is not like flying an A350!!

OK - what is more subject to risk - driving a train up a fixed track with tech failsafes literally everywhere or driving a coach full of people up the M1?
The train driver is trained in a closed shop and surrounded by other trained drivers. The coach driver has to share the road with people who took 5 attempts to pass their test!!
By your own comparisons a coach driver should be on more than a train driver then?
How many points and signals does a coach driver have to negotiate on the M1. Maybe an odd matrix telling them a lane is closed?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
@Justice

Your reply was within the previous quote so difficult to quote you, but derailments are often due to cracked rails, vandalism, suicidal jumpers etc, not to mention faulty signals.
If you'd like to talk about the pay rates for the civil engineers responsible for inspecting, assessing and designing out those risks, I'll be all over that*.

*Actually too busy and contractually obliged to not talk about it, but suffice to say it's not enough.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
How many points and signals does a coach driver have to negotiate on the M1. Maybe an odd matrix telling them a lane is closed?
You're being obtuse - the coach driver will need to navigate through numerous junctions, crossings, roundabouts, varying speed limits, narrow points, pulling out vehicles, pedestrians in the road, sudden braking ahead, etc. during a point-to-point journey, all without a physical barrier to their passengers.

Driving a coach or bus is significantly more difficult than driving a train, but is not given nearly the same status or pay.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
You're being obtuse - the coach driver will need to navigate through numerous junctions, crossings, roundabouts, varying speed limits, narrow points, pulling out vehicles, pedestrians in the road, sudden braking ahead, etc. during a point-to-point journey, all without a physical barrier to their passengers.

Driving a coach or bus is significantly more difficult than driving a train, but is not given nearly the same status or pay.
Presumably one of the reasons why there's a shortage of bus drivers, as frequently discussed on here.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It depends on route, there have been incidents that could have been prevented with a guard but they are mainly a passenger safety viewpoint. For what its worth, taking them off Thameslink and BML services is correct but taking them off Coastway Routes and smaller branchlines would diminish safety standards.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Roundabouts on the M1?

Sudden braking when you see a trolley thrown onto the tracks or a person standing in the way as you drive round a bend at 80mh?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Roundabouts on the M1?

Sudden braking when you see a trolley thrown onto the tracks or a person standing in the way as you drive round a bend at 80mh?
You're still being obtuse. Coaches don't just drive on the motorway.

Yes, train drivers might sometimes need to use emergency braking, but (without any data or the desire to obtain it) I'll wager coach/bus drivers do it far more often.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here