Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No P&R for Newport game

For just one moment ... never mind whether P&R is operating or not, never mind whether bus travel or train travel will be charged for, never mind whether car parks will be open ... will there be enough transport in place to ensure that EVERYONE can get to and from the Newport game in a timely manner?

It wasn't possible to serve a crowd of 5,000 at Withdean without someone arranging extra buses and trains. I can't imagine that ANY game at the Amex can be organised satisfactorily with just a normal Tuesday evening public transport timetable in operation.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Just spoken to the club. Guy on the end of the phone sounded very sheepish and a bit guilty (although it's not his fault). He said that we can get a refund as long as it's 7 days before the fixture but I forgot to ask if it was only for customers who had booked before the club charter was changed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
PR disaster for the club. I'm going anyway, but expect to have to walk back to Brighton to get home :nono:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
PR disaster for the club. I'm going anyway, but expect to have to walk back to Brighton to get home :nono:

And yet many people denied any PR issue from the clubs side around the Gus saga ! The balance has changed, in the desire to wring every pound into the till the club have made some glaring mistakes.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
For just one moment ... never mind whether P&R is operating or not, never mind whether bus travel or train travel will be charged for, never mind whether car parks will be open ... will there be enough transport in place to ensure that EVERYONE can get to and from the Newport game in a timely manner?

It wasn't possible to serve a crowd of 5,000 at Withdean without someone arranging extra buses and trains. I can't imagine that ANY game at the Amex can be organised satisfactorily with just a normal Tuesday evening public transport timetable in operation.

You wait until it goes to extra time and penalties, make the Sunderland game panic announcements seem a minor irritation

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think you have missed the point here.
It is where people park and how to get there from the parking place (Race Course for example) or like myself how do I get there with no bus routes from Woodingdean.
Obviuosly I could get buses all round Brighton to get there but rather does put me off going somewhat.
If the tickets had been £5 more it would not have been a problem to me, to cover the costs

I guarantee it would have been a problem for someone else though and then we'd have 8 pages of people moaning about the rip off ticket price. The club cannot win here.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Why cant they just open one of the park ride site if they are expecting such a small crowd . I think club has made an error here . I also tnink the club under estimated how many people would go , i reckon about 15000 would of gone , espically with the kids off school . I think the club are making some bad decisions and will have to be careful not to start alienating the supporters .

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Does the club honestly think a midweek evening match at The Amex requires LESS park and ride/travel arrangements etc than a JPT match at Withdean? HONESTLY?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Could it be that the club is in talks with a NEW potential bus operator (after B&H Buses said it isn't doing the special routes anymore) and that they won't be ready in time for that game?

Might expain it.

Does not even begin to justify the changing of the club charter however...

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Last year there were 16,500 for the equivalent cup fixture against Gillingham on a warm summer night. I think the 8-10,000 they have estimated for Newport is way out.

The transportation arrangements, or rather lack of them for this game are an absolute joke. I would happily pay for the P&R at the race course or the R bus at Rottingdean. It is the inconvenience of having to make 2 or 3 connections to get to the game that is the issue (and what about those who don't drive for whom the car park is not an option)?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Last year there were 16,500 for the equivalent cup fixture against Gillingham on a warm summer night. I think the 8-10,000 they have estimated for Newport is way out.

The transportation arrangements, or rather lack of them for this game are an absolute joke. I would happily pay for the P&R at the race course or the R bus at Rottingdean. It is the inconvenience of having to make 2 or 3 connections to get to the game that is the issue (and what about those who don't drive for whom the car park is not an option)?

I'm not sure, the Gillingham game was actually 2 years ago and was the first chance for many fans to go to the Amex after its opening a few days earlier and looking at the sales so far not many are going

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Reply from the club in response to my email re Newport game

Hi Phil

Regrettably with a lower attendance expected and in order to keep the ticket price competitive, we have not been able to incorporate travel.

To put in a full travel plan is an extremely costly exercise and in the case of a cup game where gate receipts are split, it was felt including travel in to the ticket price would make it prohibitively expensive, especially in light of the large number of games we have in such a short space of time.

Seagulls Travel is in operation and can be booked through the website below:

http://www.ekmpowershop28.com/ekmps/shops/stagedoor/index.asp

Kind regards

Xxxxx Xxxxxxx

T: 0844 324 6282

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
From the club site:

There are football park-and-ride sites for your use on matchdays, and the cost is included within your match ticket package.
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/home-fans-travel-239441.aspx#vhS2HltDxuCk23ez.99

Basically, it's going to very difficult to drive to the match as also from the club site: There is no on-street parking anywhere close by to the stadium and there are traffic schemes in place to make sure that these are upheld.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If there is no Park and Ride will the new Coldean parking restrictions also be suspended? Surely that's only logical? The people who would normally drive have to park somewhere.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If there is no Park and Ride will the new Coldean parking restrictions also be suspended? Surely that's only logical? The people who would normally drive have to park somewhere.

Good point. What other options are there?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
During the planning application, what was the stated capacity for train and car use (excluding P&R)?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
During the planning application, what was the stated capacity for train and car use (excluding P&R)?
I don't think too much can be read into those quoted figures. The club also stated that 100% of away fans, yes 100%, every single fan for every single match, would arrive by coach! Basically we said whatever we needed to say at the time to get the nod which was fair enough; it's only now that chickens are coming home to roost.

There are a maximum 3,000 parking spaces allowed in the stadium vicinity (essentially the UoS and Bridge car parks) according to BH2011/03861. This is the capacity extension application and the actual use figures for train, P&R, coach, bus, etc are in there somewhere, I just can't be arsed to look for them. Interestingly (ie I haven't seen it mentioned on NSC previously), BHA has submitted an application that will reduce the stadium capacity by 2,000+ when the Bennett's Field Car Park closes - due at the end of the forthcoming season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here