Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No P&R for Newport game

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Booking fee is £1.50. No auto cup scheme avoidance of it available.

Bus ticket (day rider) is £4.60 from the driver. Imagine train return something similar.

So the actual cost of attending the game is around £18 if you factor in what we have got for the ticket cover price over the last ten or do seasons.

Still reasonable and cheap?

The match ticket is cheap. The Albion are not responsible for how you get to this game. It is utterly laughable that people EXPECT the club to sort this out for them for a low key not very lucrative game.

The booking fee is related to the transaction not the value of the ticket itself, and everyone should know about the fee now, so I cannot see what the fuss is about.

If it's too much don't go, it's not obligatory. There is no auto cup scheme as half the STH will not be able to order their seats as the upper tiers will be shut.

Hopefully when the season starts we can start talking about the football instead of all this incessant whining.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Whilst I do not agree with it, if you go on to the club online ticket site and click on the Newport County game, it does state quite clearly that transport and P & R are not included in the price of this ticket.

They may have stated that no transport included for the game but they are now braking their own club charter.

Club Charter
Brighton & Hove Albion
2013/2014

Travel Levy
A Travel Levy of £50 per season, per adult, for 23 league games will be applied to all season
ticket holders; travel for cup games will be included in the match ticket price.

Plus surely they braking the agreement of the planning conditions.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The match ticket is cheap. The Albion are not responsible for how you get to this game. It is utterly laughable that people EXPECT the club to sort this out for them for a low key not very lucrative game.
I don't expect them to. But for ten seasons now it HAS been part of the overall cost. It IS the norm at Brighton. Not sure what is wrong with being disappointed that the club is A) Going back on what it has always said about transport, and B) Was not particularly open about the fact.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Club: "Tickets for Newport County are only £12. We wanted to make them cheaper. Look at us giving something back to the fans.*"

* You will, of course, have to pay us £1.50 for the privilege of buying a ticket and if you drive to the match, you won't be able to. And if you use public transport, you'll have to pay for it. And we won't use the auto cup scheme so we can collect the booking fees etc...

Booking fee on auto cup scheme (gold members) just the 3 platinum members who don't have one

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I don't expect them to. But for ten seasons now it HAS been part of the overall cost. It IS the norm at Brighton. Not sure what is wrong with being disappointed that the club is A) Going back on what it has always said about transport, and B) Was not particularly open about the fact.

My problem is with the current trend to find fault with practically everything the club does these days. It is really getting my goat now. I find it exhausting reading what I believe to be a complete overreaction to the most minor of issues.

If the transport fee was included in this game the price would in all likelihood been one which would have put even more people off. I would suspect that we will probably lose money on this game so I can understand that the club do want to pay a high transport fee for what was always going to a relatively quiet game attendance wise. With anywhere between 8,000-15,000 turning up there really is no need for the Albion to cough up for the P+R or southern railway. This decision makes good sense for the Albion. The club is working very hard to get its house in order and this just part of it.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

My problem is with the current trend to find fault with practically everything the club does these days. It is really getting my goat now. I find it exhausting reading what I believe to be a complete overreaction to the most minor of issues.

If the transport fee was included in this game the price would in all likelihood been one which would have put even more people off. I would suspect that we will probably lose money on this game so I can understand that the club do want to pay a high transport fee for what was always going to a relatively quiet game attendance wise. With anywhere between 8,000-15,000 turning up there really is no need for the Albion to cough up for the P+R or southern railway. This decision makes good sense for the Albion. The club is working very hard to get its house in order and this just part of it.

I agree to a degree. But not operating even a skeleton park and ride or reduced R or S bus route will put some off going. Particularly for evening games, the park and ride is vital for some who simply will now struggle to make kick off and probably not bother.

Don't expect them to open every block in every stand. Don't expect a full, all-singing-all-dancing transport operation. BUT, the club should have something place and to not have the free public transport option in place is poor having previously said it would be for all cup and league games.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They may have stated that no transport included for the game but they are now braking their own club charter.

Club Charter
Brighton & Hove Albion
2013/2014

Travel Levy
A Travel Levy of £50 per season, per adult, for 23 league games will be applied to all season
ticket holders; travel for cup games will be included in the match ticket price.

Plus surely they braking the agreement of the planning conditions.

This could get messy. Informing punters after they have purchased tickets is very sneaky (or maybe even illegal) given that their own charter and website stated travel was included.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I agree to a degree. But not operating even a skeleton park and ride or reduced R or S bus route will put some off going. Particularly for evening games, the park and ride is vital for some who simply will now struggle to make kick off and probably not bother.

Don't expect them to open every block in every stand. Don't expect a full, all-singing-all-dancing transport operation. BUT, the club should have something place and to not have the free public transport option in place is poor having previously said it would be for all cup and league games.

There are loads of normal buses that service the stadium from all areas of town where there is plentiful parking. And there are trains that go from the town centre to the doorstep of the stadium. With a reduced crowd, there really should be no problem using either.

If the solution costs the club less for a very low key cup tie (which can be the only reason for doing it), then I'm very happy with that. That'll be more money to spend on the team in the long run.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I find it amazing that so much fuss is being made about this, but so little about the ludicrous and unnecessary parking restrictions in Coldean and Moulscoomb.

Most people - admittedly including many who didn't use it. or need to use it - just rolled over and accepted the club and council spin.

There is no doubt which will cost fans more in the long run. You're talking about the difference between free, and £15 per match if you do what the club is now suggesting.

In that context I'm afraid it is hard to get too excited about an extra £1.50.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hotchilidog said:
If the solution costs the club less for a very low key cup tie (which can be the only reason for doing it), then I'm very happy with that. That'll be more money to spend on the team in the long run.

Strikes me as a very defeatist attitude. I'd prefer it if the club tried to sell the game and sell it to new punters who would not ordinarily go. Barber should rise to the challenge of getting bums on seats not putting hurdles in the way to make it unattractive.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There are loads of normal buses that service the stadium from all areas of town where there is plentiful parking. And there are trains that go from the town centre to the doorstep of the stadium. With a reduced crowd, there really should be no problem using either.

If you are driving from work and it is touch a go whether you will make kick off - which is a fair few people at midweek evening matches - then finding joining the traffic into Brighton, finding somewhere to park and then waiting for a regular bus to A) Turn up and B) Wind its way through its route and stopping every few minutes is probably not going to be a solution...

We had plenty of crap midweek matches at Withdean but always managed to run a park and ride service...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have not bought tickets for Newport yet, so checked out the ticket website;

Home Games

If this is a cup game and you want to purchase your own seat please click ‘Add My Reserved Seats’.

Sort by

Albion v Villarreal

Competition: Pre Season Friendly 13/14
Date: Saturday,27 July,2013
Kick-off: 19:30
American Express Comm Stadium

Albion v Norwich City

Competition: Pre Season Friendly 13/14
Date: Tuesday,30 July,2013
Kick-off: 19:45

Albion v Newport

Competition: Capital One Cup Round 1
Date: Tuesday,06 August,2013
Kick-off: 19:45

Please note that season ticket seats are not reserved for this game.Free travel is not included as part of the match ticket, please also note that there will be no park and rides available. To purchaser parking please go to the travel section.

mmm....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The tickets are significantly discounted, they have done the exact opposite.

Disagree - I'm not going because I'm abroad on that date BUT if I was thinking of going I would expect to be able to catch the H bus. Using the H bus takes around 20-30 minutes in both directions. Using the normal buses takes about 1.5 hours each way including a switch of buses. That journey would put me off buying a ticket regardless of price.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The club is aware of the annoyance all this has caused.

Not sure it will result in anything changing, but would be good if it was taken on board so perhaps different if we get through and draw someone crap at home in the second round.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
So to clarify, for the two friendlies and the Newport game-

No subsidised travel.
No park and ride.
The only parking available is at the stadium and the university site alongside (not Mithras House); this parking needs to be booked in advance.
It has not been confirmed whether the parking restrictions in Coldean and Moulscoombe will be in effect.

It does appear that some people may not be aware and may therefore turn up at train stations / bus stops expecting free travel, or may turn up at one of the three park and ride sites and then have to work out what to do when they realise they are not operating. As others have said, if attendances for three games are low this may not be a huge issue but will mean those caught out may have a bit of trouble getting to the game on time.

A news article on the Club website clarifying these matters and recommending the best travel methods for these matches would be helpful to get the message out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here