[Football] No more scores on 5live sports report

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Never been the same since James Alexander Gordon (rip) retired

The fact that I didn't even know he had retired and gone to the videprinter in the sky still seems irrelevant.

I am utterly MIFFED that they've taken it away.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How is Robbie Savage relevant to anything?

If they're paying him a large wage to spout his tabloid opinions then they might as well get an extra 10 mins out of him if they can.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
On balance I like and respect the BBC but this is a dreadful decision.

It's the opportunity to hear, in one place all the score from PL to National League.

Have the BBC now morphed into Sky in thinking that only the PL matters as the reason they are giving is that 5Live can concentrate on the 5.30 kick off in the PL?

Shocking decision - I'd love to know who made it.

Have you only just noticed!?! Doesn't matter what other sport is being played, be it F1, Golf, Commonwealth games, we have to have a load of punditry build up and review - Build up to Brighton's game yesterday started at 12, take a look at the 5 live schedule yesterday https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl7g/2022/08/07

I was sat outside trying to listen to the Commonwealth games (not possible), instead had to listen to numptees talking about whether or not Rashford was going the same way as Alli etc etc.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A sad day if they follow through with this idea, saturdays at 5.00 won't be the same.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I get this would have been a tough decision for the Beeb and - on balance - I think they've got it right. It takes a long time to sit through the entire full set of results, everybody's got phones these days and can not only see all the scores but also scorers and other data.

Yes, it was nice while it lasted, I can remember fans on trains listening in on the journey home and my grandad checking his pools coupon to it but the Beeb has to stay relevant so it has to go.

I disagree.

Not EVERYONE is glued to a smartphone all through the second half and after the game. And not everyone follows the scores all afternoon online either. I've also been in the train queues at Falmer plenty of times and not always found it easy to get a 4G reception to download all the final scores.

It only takes, what, 5 minutes to reel of those scores on the wireless ? Unbelievable that the BBC believe that they can't even dedicate that to the scores on a Saturday afternoon, in favour of some extra drivel from the likes of Robbie Savage.

Just another example of the BBC abandoning good, time-honoured content in favour of "da kidz" they are apparently so desperate to attract, whilst giving the middle-finger to us oldies.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
When was the last time anyone actually listened to the results on the radio.
I'm struggling to recall, so for me its years and years ago.

Do they still read out the score draw and no score draw numbers for the pools or has this been dropped.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Indeed. I haven’t listened to it since the internet was invented.

Yeah I find it really boring now, particularly when it gets to League 1 and you know there's still L2, the National League and all the bloody Scottish leagues to go (and I remember the days when it was the only way of finding out results post match)

Much rather have 10 mins extra of analysis of some of the day's games or build up to the next game

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What I used to love about JAG reading out the results was that just from the tone of his voice saying the first team, you knew the outcome of the match before the score was read out.

Manchester United 1

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When was the last time anyone actually listened to the results on the radio.
I'm struggling to recall, so for me its years and years ago.

Do they still read out the score draw and no score draw numbers for the pools or has this been dropped.

I listen quite often when I'm in the car.

Yes its all readily available online, but it is good to know (or was) that at 5pm sharp you could go somewhere to hear all the classifieds. Especially when driving.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Oh no. How will I ever find out the results again 😔 😫 😢

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Is the pools still going?

They always used to give the pools news out at the end, 8 score draws, possible jackpot etc.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Have you only just noticed!?! Doesn't matter what other sport is being played, be it F1, Golf, Commonwealth games, we have to have a load of punditry build up and review - Build up to Brighton's game yesterday started at 12, take a look at the 5 live schedule yesterday https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl7g/2022/08/07

I was sat outside trying to listen to the Commonwealth games (not possible), instead had to listen to numptees talking about whether or not Rashford was going the same way as Alli etc etc.

Point of order. I think you'll find that the build up to MANCHESTER UNITED's game started at 12.00. Brighton just happened to be playing in it, too.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I disagree.

Not EVERYONE is glued to a smartphone all through the second half and after the game. And not everyone follows the scores all afternoon online either. I've also been in the train queues at Falmer plenty of times and not always found it easy to get a 4G reception to download all the final scores.

It only takes, what, 5 minutes to reel of those scores on the wireless ? Unbelievable that the BBC believe that they can't even dedicate that to the scores on a Saturday afternoon, in favour of some extra drivel from the likes of Robbie Savage.

Just another example of the BBC abandoning good, time-honoured content in favour of "da kidz" they are apparently so desperate to attract, whilst giving the middle-finger to us oldies.

Get with the times. It's very important to make more room for 'fanz' to banter their way through tedious circular discussions about the Big Six, enlightening us with opinions based on no more inside knowledge than our own. Who wants to listen to that boring old stuff like actual scores and skilled, professional broadcasters asking probing questions of people who actually have some insight?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Even when you try and use the BBC app to find a score online now you have scroll through a load of match ratings now anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports